How to pickel water maker?

  • uster.rm
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013

      Tested last weekend the water maker (in rinse mode), all good.

      Now, I would like to learn how to pickel it...

      I have the product, can someone explain to me what I need to do?

      Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

      SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

      Seabrook, Texas, USA

    • Sailorman
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013

        I ruined my first set on membranes and end caps by pickling the water maker.

        I now just run the fresh water through the water maker every 2 weeks and have not had any problems in 7 years. I believe many Amel owners do the same.

        Fair Winds

        Eric

        Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

        Tested last weekend the water maker (in rinse mode), all good.

        Now, I would like to learn how to pickel it...

        I have the product, can someone explain to me what I need to do?

        Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

        SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

        Seabrook , Texas , USA

        Do you have a slow PC? Try a free scan!
      • Kent Robertson
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013
          Gary on Liahona posted a nice file on feeding and care of watermakers in the File section (its in a folder called Dessallator).  See his post # 10783.

          Most members of this forum subscribe to Eric's concern about pickling.  Use your watermaker regularly, rinse it thoroughly with chlorine-free fresh water, and you shouldn't have any problems.  Gary has put a timer on the pump for when he leaves the boat that will flush the membranes periodically...great idea, but I'm a bit hesitant to do so if the boat is in the water.  I once came back aboard after a short shopping trip to find the bilge pump running continuously.  The output hose clamps on the pump for the A/C had failed and water was pumping into the engine room faster than the bilge pump could keep up.  Fortunately I caught it before it filled the engine room up, or it would have ruined everything.  I'll definitely put the timer in before I leave the boat on the hard again.

          Kent
          SM243
          KRISTY

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013
            Alexandre,

            DON'T DO IT! All you need to do is back flush for 3 minutes, and only when you are not going to use the water maker during the next 3 weeks. Pickling is a fad that seems to be popular in America for some reason. I did it with my first set of membranes and they quit in less than 2 years. My current membranes will be 8 years old in November and I have used the water maker a lot as I never take on dock water.

            If you are concerned about taste try installing a Seagull filter and tap at the sink. They are very good though the filter cartridge price has escalated over the years. I am considering installing a 5 micron filter before the Seagull filter to perhaps help prolong the cartridge life.

            Dessalator also spurn pickling. It is NOT necessary.

            Happy drinking.

            Ian Shepherd SM 414 (2003) Crusader

            On 27/09/2013 14:31, uster@... wrote:

            Tested last weekend the water maker (in rinse mode), all good.

            Now, I would like to learn how to pickel it...

            I have the product, can someone explain to me what I need to do?

            Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

            SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

            Seabrook, Texas, USA

          • Alexandre Uster von Baar
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013
              Hello Ian,

              How do I "back flush"?

              What I did last week, was "rinse". So I turn the valva on "Rinse", then the fresh water pump started.
              I run the 220 Volt water maker pump for 2 hours, the light was green and the pressure of hte valve was also green.

              Not concerned about the taste and I already have the Seagull filter.

              I just want to know what I need to do to preserve the life of the membrane.
              How do I do the back flush?

              To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013

                All you have to do is turn the flush valve to rinse. You do not need to run the 220 volt motor.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013
                  Alex, Eric is talking about rinsing with fresh water...you are running fresh water thru the membranes where the salt accumulates after making water.  Back flushing would require disconnecting the hoses and reversing flow thru the membranes.  I don't think the low pressure side of the system would stand the high pressures.  You can clean the membranes by disconnecting the input hose and submerging it in a bucket of cleaning fluid, then turning the pump on (low pressure) to rinse the membranes.  Unless your water output volume decreases and it's hard to keep the pressure low enough (out of the red zone) just rinse after you make water, and once every week or two if you aren't making water.

                  I've not used a cleaning fluid yet, but will do it next month as my product water is no longer below 500 ppm.  Hope I don't need new membranes. Does anyone know what kind of cleaning agent is recommended?
                  Hope that helps, and thanks in advance for any corrections or advice.
                  Kent
                  SM243
                  Kristy
                  Brunswick GA USA

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013

                    After 7 years I still get about 140 lph with a purity about 290 ppm.

                    I believe the pickling agent is sodium metabisulfide.

                    I guess you could use that and let it sit for a few hours and then rinse rinse.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013

                        Kent,

                        Thanks for the heads up.

                        I would like to know what you find

                        Fair Winds

                        Eric

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 27, 2013
                          Air Ops came with two different water maker cleaning agents, one acid-based and one alkaline-based.  One or the other would be used depending on what the membrane was contaminated with.  However, both are very aggressive and would most likely damage the membrane so would be used only as a last resort.  I removed both from the boat.  Regarding pickling, I also never pickle my water maker.  We leave her in the Sea of Cortez from early June until mid October (air temps into the low 100F, sea temp reaching 90F) and my procedure is to simply run 50 gallons of fresh water through the system.  We've done this for three summers now with excellent results.

                          Dave
                          s/v Air Ops
                          Amel Maramu #104
                          Puerto Escondido, Sea of Cortez

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 28, 2013
                              Hi Alexandre,

                              there are 1 or 2 valves valve located in front of the genset. There may be a placard there to indicate what the valve positions do. It depends on when the boat was made as to whether you have the additional pickle valve and pipe which Amel reluctantly fitted after pressure from their US rep to do so. On my boat the lower valve is moved to the rinse position and the freshwater pump will force freshwater down the outside of the membranes to remove the sea water. Do this for 3 minutes then switch off.

                              It is true that the domestic water pressure will not force water through the membranes but considering that the porosity of the membranes is something like half a micron, then bacteria should not be able to penetrate the membrane anyway so what you are doing is making sure that stagnant sea water does not surround your membranes causing a taste problem when next used.

                              As I said, it's all I have done for the past 7 years and 10 months with the current membranes (From Air,Ice and Water USA) and they are working great with a TDM reading of around 265 ppm and good taste. I also lay up every 3 years for about 4 months.

                              As for preserving the membrane life I believe that depends on several factors. The first rule is to never use them when there is a chance of oil in the water. The second, when you back flush make really sure that your water tank contains no chlorine. The third, only use the water maker in clean water. Clear anchorages are fine. Fourth, if in brackish water restrict the flow to 160 l/h (if that is your model) and lastly be gentle and smooth when you crank the pressure up and down with the regulator knob.

                              My dilemma as the membranes approach eight years old is whether to change them now or wait and see how long they will go on for. It is not recommended that you purchase and store membranes in their packaging for any period of time. Also when you do change them you should dump the first 30 minutes of production before letting water into your tank to ensure you gave got rid of the preservatives they soak them in.

                              Apart from the end caps, the Dessalator 160 l/h is a good installation and should give you years of trouble free operation. Other than changing the pre filters and the pump oil, back flushing is all you have to do. Do check for leaks periodically when it is running. They will happen!

                              Cheers

                              Ian Shepherd SM 414 (2003) Crusader Larnaca Cyprus

                              To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 28, 2013

                                Pat,

                                I have the same watermaker.

                                I just turn a red valve near the watermaker to flush and it runs 40 psi water through the membranes for 3-5 minutes.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 29, 2013
                                    Pat,

                                    These two things are on the Dessalator website:http://www.dessalator.com/

                                    fold faq

                                    When should I sterilize my membranes?

                                    If the watermaker is not used and you cannot rinse it once a month with fresh water, please sterilize your membranes. BEWARE: Not more than twice a year.

                                    1. If someone regularly comes on board, rinsing with the three-way valve on the pre pump will be sufficient; this should be carried out while the watermaker is idle.
                                    2. For extended periods (5 to 6 months) of storage, we have developed a sterilizing cartridge (see the page sterilizing cartridge).
                                    I believe I also read that Dessalator says that you should not use the pickling chemical unless you are going to leave it idle for 6 months or more.

                                    Bill
                                    BeBe

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 29, 2013
                                      Pat, find Gary's post about putting a timer on the fresh water pump.  Elegant solution for when on the hard.
                                      Kent
                                      SM 243
                                      Kristy

                                      Sent from my iPhone