Re: Algae on propeller

  • noeliano244
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
      We have had some success with an Aussie product called GOOP. It is
      anhydrous lanolin, and depending on where the boat sits will keep
      the buildup of algae & barnacles under control between dives. We
      are able to dive on the prop quite regularly when in the tropics--we
      have a 50 foot hose connected directly to our dive tank so it is not
      so paraphanalia intensive. When we move back to New England we do
      have to clean the prop once in the 4-5 months we are in the colder
      waters. We do not spend much time in marinas, but did find out
      early on that marinas cause lots of build up. The auto prop must be
      very clean or else RPM decreases to an alarming state. We have
      never painted the prop because we were advised against this. We
      would be interested to know if there is a safe paint for an auto
      prop since the Auto prop representative said "no". We found the
      GOOP product through AB Marine. Email address sales@....
      On a similiar note, we also were advised by auto prop to replace the
      red plastic shipping nut with the appropriate zinc. We have "eaten"
      lots of prop zincs, but the rudder zincs last longer. The rudder
      zinc is quite a distance from the prop, so we feel that we have
      better protection. Perhaps Amel has changed this on later SMs.
      Pete and Mary on Noelia

      --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "tonic102004"