Re: [Amel] Volvo TMD 22 Fuel Filter - how many Micron?

  • Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2013
      Alexandre,

      For what it is worth (I am not an expert):

      I believe your Racor filter should be 10 micron and your engine filter should be 2 micron. I believe you will get too much vacuum when double-up and place 2 micron in both locations.

      Also, think about the logic: Assuming that you source quality filters, particles larger than 2 micron are going to get stopped by the first 2 micron filter. In that case the second 2 micron filter is only increasing the vacuum pressure on the engine's fuel pump.

      I am always leary of advice that goes something like this: "X is good so 2X is better." I had a knowledgeable boat engineering company ruin our watermaker by using 4 times the required amount of chemical to pickle the watermaker. When I asked him about this he said he thought if a little was good, more would be great.

      I hope this helps...if not it gives you another view.

      Best,

      Bill
      BeBe, SM2k, #387

      --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

      > Hi for what its worth we use 2 micron in all the filters. That way we get nothing bad into the injectors.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Richard Piller
      >
      > Cell 603 767 5330
      >
      > On Apr 30, 2013, at 17:19, "Alex" <uster@...> wrote:
      >
      > I am about to change the fuel filters.
      >
      > My Racor currently has a 10 Micron filter, on the Volvo TMD 22 I have Volvo 3840335 but it does not tell me how many Micron it is...
      >
      > Technically I need to have some less than the 10 micron I have on the Racor. Any information?
      >
      > Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre 713-412-6704
      >
      > SM2K #289 "NIKIMAT"
      > Seabrook, Texas - USA

    • Ian & Judy Jenkins
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2013
        Bill, Your comments echo advice I was given by a Volvo agent whose view was that a 10 micron filter achieved all he filtration that the engine required and that 2 Micron, which I had used up to that point, achieved nothing other than to put an unnecessary strain on the pump.
        I had no fuel problems when using the 2 Micron filter and I continue to have no problems using the 10 Micron. I have more than 4,000 hours on our Volvo.
        Long may it be so !
        Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Ragusa, Sicily

        > To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
        > From: yahoogroups@...
        > Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 18:48:42 +0000
        > Subject: Re: [Amel] Volvo TMD 22 Fuel Filter - how many Micron?
        >
        > Alexandre,
        >
        > For what it is worth (I am not an expert):
        >
        > I believe your Racor filter should be 10 micron and your engine filter should be 2 micron. I believe you will get too much vacuum when double-up and place 2 micron in both locations.
        >
        > Also, think about the logic: Assuming that you source quality filters, particles larger than 2 micron are going to get stopped by the first 2 micron filter. In that case the second 2 micron filter is only increasing the vacuum pressure on the engine's fuel pump.
        >
        > I am always leary of advice that goes something like this: "X is good so 2X is better." I had a knowledgeable boat engineering company ruin our watermaker by using 4 times the required amount of chemical to pickle the watermaker. When I asked him about this he said he thought if a little was good, more would be great.
        >
        > I hope this helps...if not it gives you another view.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Bill
        > BeBe, SM2k, #387
        >

        > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi for what its worth we use 2 micron in all the filters. That way we get nothing bad into the injectors.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Richard Piller
        > >
        > > Cell 603 767 5330
        > >
        > > On Apr 30, 2013, at 17:19, "Alex" <uster@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am about to change the fuel filters.
        > >
        > > My Racor currently has a 10 Micron filter, on the Volvo TMD 22 I have Volvo 3840335 but it does not tell me how many Micron it is...
        > >
        > > Technically I need to have some less than the 10 micron I have on the Racor. Any information?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre 713-412-6704
        > >
        > > SM2K #289 "NIKIMAT"
        > > Seabrook, Texas - USA

      • Alexandre Uster von Baar
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2013
          Hello Ian , Could you please let me know which part number you are using on your volvo?
          I just found out the fuel filter I am using (Volvo 3840335) is 14 micron.
          Which one is the 10 Micron?
          Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre

          Bill, Your comments echo advice I was given by a Volvo agent whose view was that a 10 micron filter achieved all he filtration that the engine required and that 2 Micron, which I had used up to that point, achieved nothing other than to put an unnecessary strain on the pump.
          I had no fuel problems when using the 2 Micron filter and I continue to have no problems using the 10 Micron. I have more than 4,000 hours on our Volvo.
          Long may it be so !
          Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Ragusa, Sicily

          > To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
          > From: yahoogroups@...
          > Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 18:48:42 +0000
          > Subject: Re: [Amel] Volvo TMD 22 Fuel Filter - how many Micron?
          >
          > Alexandre,
          >
          > For what it is worth (I am not an expert):
          >
          > I believe your Racor filter should be 10 micron and your engine filter should be 2 micron. I believe you will get too much vacuum when double-up and place 2 micron in both locations.
          >
          > Also, think about the logic: Assuming that you source quality filters, particles larger than 2 micron are going to get stopped by the first 2 micron filter. In that case the second 2 micron filter is only increasing the vacuum pressure on the engine's fuel pump.
          >
          > I am always leary of advice that goes something like this: "X is good so 2X is better." I had a knowledgeable boat engineering company ruin our watermaker by using 4 times the required amount of chemical to pickle the watermaker. When I asked him about this he said he thought if a little was good, more would be great.
          >
          > I hope this helps...if not it gives you another view.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Bill
          > BeBe, SM2k, #387
          >

          > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi for what its worth we use 2 micron in all the filters. That way we get nothing bad into the injectors.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Richard Piller
          > >
          > > Cell 603 767 5330
          > >
          > > On Apr 30, 2013, at 17:19, "Alex" <uster@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am about to change the fuel filters.
          > >
          > > My Racor currently has a 10 Micron filter, on the Volvo TMD 22 I have Volvo 3840335 but it does not tell me how many Micron it is...
          > >
          > > Technically I need to have some less than the 10 micron I have on the Racor. Any information?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre 713-412-6704
          > >
          > > SM2K #289 "NIKIMAT"
          > > Seabrook, Texas - USA

        • Richard03801
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2013
            We agree that 2 microns may be a it over kill however given the fact that the Raycor 500 is a much larger unit it works and has worked for over 590 hrs with out issues we'll continue. As the last thing we need is issues with the injectors.
            SM 209 for sale in Newport RI

            Regards

            Richard Piller

            Cell 603 767 5330

            On May 1, 2013, at 17:49, Ian & Judy Jenkins <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

            Bill, Your comments echo advice I was given by a Volvo agent whose view was that a 10 micron filter achieved all he filtration that the engine required and that 2 Micron, which I had used up to that point, achieved nothing other than to put an unnecessary strain on the pump.
            I had no fuel problems when using the 2 Micron filter and I continue to have no problems using the 10 Micron. I have more than 4,000 hours on our Volvo.
            Long may it be so !
            Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Ragusa, Sicily

            > To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
            > From: yahoogroups@...
            > Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 18:48:42 +0000
            > Subject: Re: [Amel] Volvo TMD 22 Fuel Filter - how many Micron?
            >
            > Alexandre,
            >
            > For what it is worth (I am not an expert):
            >
            > I believe your Racor filter should be 10 micron and your engine filter should be 2 micron. I believe you will get too much vacuum when double-up and place 2 micron in both locations.
            >
            > Also, think about the logic: Assuming that you source quality filters, particles larger than 2 micron are going to get stopped by the first 2 micron filter. In that case the second 2 micron filter is only increasing the vacuum pressure on the engine's fuel pump.
            >
            > I am always leary of advice that goes something like this: "X is good so 2X is better." I had a knowledgeable boat engineering company ruin our watermaker by using 4 times the required amount of chemical to pickle the watermaker. When I asked him about this he said he thought if a little was good, more would be great.
            >
            > I hope this helps...if not it gives you another view.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Bill
            > BeBe, SM2k, #387
            >

            > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi for what its worth we use 2 micron in all the filters. That way we get nothing bad into the injectors.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > >
            > > Richard Piller
            > >
            > > Cell 603 767 5330
            > >
            > > On Apr 30, 2013, at 17:19, "Alex" <uster@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am about to change the fuel filters.
            > >
            > > My Racor currently has a 10 Micron filter, on the Volvo TMD 22 I have Volvo 3840335 but it does not tell me how many Micron it is...
            > >
            > > Technically I need to have some less than the 10 micron I have on the Racor. Any information?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance, sincerely, Alexandre 713-412-6704
            > >
            > > SM2K #289 "NIKIMAT"
            > > Seabrook, Texas - USA

          • Alex
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2013
              Just to reply to my own post and those using the Volvo engine on their Super Maramu.

              The original Volvo 3840335 fuel filter is a 14 micron.
              I found (at O'Reilly) a WIX 33358 which is a 10 Micron
              Finally I found (at West Marine) a Sierra 18-7709 which is 2 micron.

              I will be using a Racor 10 Micron, followed by a 2 Micron on the Volvo engine.

              Thanks again for your feedback. Sincerely, Alexandre
              SM2K #289 "NIKIMAT"
              Seabrook, Texas - USA