Re: Annual Haul Out

  • Willem J. Kroes
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2004
      Hi Gary,

      Your description of replacing the seals from the prop shaft bushing
      is very clear. Thank you very much!

      One question remains: how to place the seals. Do I have to place 2
      seals in such a manner that these prevent water coming in and the
      third seal turned so it will prevent oil leaking out?

      Regards,

      Willem J. Kroes

      Santorin 69 "Kavanga"
      ---- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Jan 24, 2004
      > Hi Stephan:
      >
      > Sorry to be so slow to answer: I am a new (and first time boat
      owner
      > although I am a FAA certified aircraft mechanic and am used to
      > turning a wrench or two). We have had our Amel SM Hull #335 since
      > July 2003. Our first haul out was at the 1 & 1/2 year mark, having
      > been in Caribbean waters for about 9 months. The bottom was in
      good
      > shape but because I wasn't sure how long to expect it to stay that
      > way we did the bottom paint. Amel recommends a hard bottom paint
      > (thus I believe this is a non-ablative type paint that you must
      scrub
      > periodically). In checking with multiple sources the concensis was
      > that if you sail alot then an ablative paint works well because the
      > motion stirs things up and provides exposure of new paint. If you
      > don't sail a great deal (me, only about 4 months a year) then the
      > hard paint is better but must be periodically scrubbed. I chose
      > Petit Trinidad SR (a hard Slime Retardant paint) based on
      discussions
      > with various yards in the Caribbean. It took 5 gallons to put 2
      > coats on everything and a third coat at the water line down about
      18
      > inches (This is reportedly what the Moorings boats do). The paint
      > was about $155 USD in Grenada where I had it done. All they did
      was
      > scuff sand the existing paint to provide tooth adhesion and put the
      > new paint on with a roller. It has held up well for 14 months now
      > and I did one scrubbing using 3M pads and two scuba tanks of air
      > (about a 5 hour job). At our haul out for the hurricane season the
      > bottom looked great. It is evidently imparative not to put a hard
      > paint over an ablative paint. I am told that it will flake off.
      >
      > I have replaced the zincs twice. We are only in marinas hooked to
      > shore power for brief periods and when the zincs are about 50% gone
      > replaced them. Joel tells me that they may go in a few months or
      > last a year or more based on where the boat is and various marina
      > power scenarios etc. I guess I am about average at 15 months per
      > set.
      >
      > I just changed the seals and the bronze prop shaft bushing with
      about
      > 400 hrs on the engine. There was no evidence of oil leakage at the
      > prop shaft. The oil was clean and there was very little wear on the
      > bushing. I suspect they would have easily gone to 1000 hours.
      >
      > The procedure for changing the seals and busing isn't documented
      > anywhere so I thought I might tell you about my experience. I
      > purchased new "O" rings based on the drawing from Amel but my boat
      > has the rope cutter insalled and the "O" rings on the drain plug
      are
      > a different size than depicted on the plain drain plug drawing.
      The
> [...]
      > There may be various ways to remove the seals but what we did is
      > drilled two small holes on each side of the seal, screwed a sheet
      > metal screw into the two holes and used a slide hammer connected to
      > the screws to pull the seal out. Then we drilled two more holes in
      > the next seal and repeated this process two more times. The seals
      > came out easily using this method. Prying etc would have been a
      > bigger chore. Some people collapse the seals with a punch but I
      was
      > afraid this might damage the prop shaft. The new seals slid in and
      > were tapped into place using an appropriately size piece of pipe
      > about 14 inches long. I will measure this next time I am on the
      boat
      > and post the dimensions because the size must be quite exact to fit
      > the seal and it must be long enough to extend beyond the end of the
      > prop shaft. Anyone doing this job themselves might want to put
      > together a tool kit that included this pipe (seal driver). Once the
      > seals are in place the bushing was inserted and pushed in so that
      its
      > most aft portion is flush with the drive housing. Then all the
      other
      > stuff (cutter and spacers, prop etc) were re-assembled and the
      drive
      > was filled with 8.5 liters of 15/40 Diesel Engine Oil. I used
      > Lanicote on the prop shaft becuase I understand it will prevent
      > dissimilar metal corrosion.
      >
      > When I removed the prop originally (which we did for the Autoprop
      > recall) we had a very difficult time. We had the Amel prop puller
      > and actually stretched the bolts to breaking once. All the tapping
      > and pulling we exerted didn't seem to help. Many folks gathered
      > around in the yard to offer a host of suggestions but finally what
      > work almost instantaneously was tapping around the circumference of
      > the prop hub on the forward aspect of the hub. There wasn't a spec
      > of corrosion or anything else holding the prop in place, just a
      good
      > tight tapered shaft and Woodruff key.
      >
      > I just had the fresh water pump fail. Fortunately I had a spare
      and
      > promptly installed it. Upon disassembly of the original pump I
      found
      > the pump housing, bronze impeller and motor shaft all pristine. A
      > plain steel Woodruff key was used by the manufacturer and it was
      > completely corroded away so that the impeller just spun on the
      motor
      > shaft. I have tried un-successfully to find stainless steel or
      > bronze Woodruff Keys. I am going to manufature my own from
      stainless
      > steel. Seems odd though that they would put a mild steel key in a
      > pump like this.
      >
      > I have changed the finger zinc in the Onan genset once and it was
      > about 50% gone. I was able to obtain several more from my local
      Onan
      > dealer here in the US.
      >
      > I have ordered the water heater zincs from West Marine who had to
      > order them from Plastimo. It has been six weeks and I am still
      > waiting. West Marine/Plastimo wanted about $50.00 each for them.
      > didn't price them from Amel because the one I originally bought
      from
      > Amel was the incorrect size. I only discovered that after the
      messy
      > job of opening the water heater.
      >
      > One other job that is important as far as preventive maintenance is
      > winch overhauls. I ordered the book from Lewmar and an overhaul
      > kit. Mostly you need the Lewmar grease, some plastic buckets to
      use
      > to soak and scrub the various parts in some mineral spirits, a soft
      > bristled brush to help wash with and a few small brushes to apply
      the
      > grease with. All of our winches were in great shape after 1.5
      years,
      > including a trans-atlantic. Lewmar says they should be overhauled
      3
      > times per season. If you did that with 11 winches you would spend
      > your entire season overhauling winches. It took me about 1 to 2
      > hours per winch to overhaul them based on the size of the winch.
      It
      > is fairly straight forward (just remember for sure how you took
      them
      > apart). The only winches that showed any signs of distress were
      > those on the main mast since they have so much greater sea water
      > exposure. I will plan to do them twice per year from now on. The
      > others will do nicely being done once a year based on my use.
      >
      > I haven't yet tackled the bow thruster work. If there is anybody
      out
      > there that could give details of the process it would be greatly
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Regards, Gary Silver s/v Liahona Sea Cow Bay, Tortola
      >

      > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Stephan Regulinski"
      > <stephreg@y...> wrote:
      > > We are planning a haul out in the next several months. Can
      anyone
      > > advise on basic bottom paint stuff?
      > >
      > > 1. How much bottom paint should we plan on buying?
      > >
      > > 2. How many coats are applied?
      > >
      > > 3. Is a prep coat of something required before bottom paint?
      > >
      > > 4. What surface prep is required?
      > >
      > > Since we will not be in an Amel yard, I want to know how it is
      best
      > > done, not what the local guy thinks!
      > >
      > > I also understand that I should service the bow thruster, change
      > the
      > > seals and oil in the sail drive and check/replace the zincs. Am
      > > missing anything important?
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help,
      > >
      > > Stephan G. Regulinski
      > > S/V Delos (SMM #303)
    • drdavegoodman
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 29, 2007
        Hello all;
        In the process of preparing to install an electric toilet in the
        forward head, I checked the forward bildge next to the head where the
        seawater intake thru hull is located. I found a small amount of water
        (1-2 inches) in the bildge. I did some investigating on the owners
        site and found the info below, Kimberit and others indicate the
        likely source is the bowthruster needing seal replacement, and further
        indicates this can be done in while in the water using "bowthruster
        removal tools." The info I have on board about the bowthruster is
        very sketchy. I have contacted Amel for a boat manual several days
        ago but so far they have been unresponsive. Any further advice would
        be appreciated.
        Thanks
        Dave

        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlt <kimberlt@...> wrote:

        > The editor dropped the decimal point . my thruster takes 3/10 of a liter
        > of oil.
        > Eric

      • eric
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 30, 2007
          Dave,

          Is the water oily that is in the bilge?

          What is the year of your boat?

          Is it a super Maramu?

          The owners’ manual will not help you to change the bow thruster seals.

          Maybe I can help you.

          where are you located?

          Fair Winds,

          Eric

          Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

          _____

          --- In amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com, kimberlt <kimberlt@...> wrote:

          > The editor dropped the decimal point . my thruster takes 3/10 of a liter
          > of oil.
          > Eric

          yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/

          > amelyachtowners- <mailto:amelyachtowners-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:amelyachtowners-
          <mailto:amelyachtowners-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

          > <http://docs. <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          Service.

          > _____
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/

          > amelyachtowners- <mailto:amelyachtowners-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:amelyachtowners-
          <mailto:amelyachtowners-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

          > <http://docs. <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          Service.

        • Roger Banks
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 30, 2007
            Hi Dave

            I think I've reported before that I get water in the same place
            forward, but it's from rainwater coming down the mast. I've tried all
            sorts to stop it, so far without luck. You should find a trail of
            water either from the bowthruster or down the mast compression post
            (even perhaps behind the trim, which is nasty for rot).

            Regards, Roger, Zorba, Mango 28

          • Judy
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 30, 2007
              Dave,

              We replaced the seals and still continued to get a small amount of
              water while sailing especially sailing to weather. We had noticed
              that the bow thruster did not appear to raise all the way up because
              the holes for the locking pin did not align.

              While we were in Guadeloupe we asked Laurent at Amel to adjust the bow
              thruster height. He looked at it and said it was adjusted correctly
              and told us we needed to manually raise the bow thruster the
              additional 1/2" which would align the holes and allow the locking pin
              to be inserted. He said that by raising it this last 1/2" and
              inserting the locking pin water would be prevented from coming in
              around the seals. He showed us how to raise the bow thruster and
              insert the pin by pulling the "lifting wire" inward (toward me) which
              raises it another 1/2" and aligns the holes. Since our visit at Amel
              in Guadeloupe, we have had no water in the bilge.

              Is there any possibility that you have done any sailing without having
              the bowthruster locked (pinned)? If so, you would have probably
              received a slight amount of water in the forward bilge as you have
              described. If you have never sailed without having the bowthruster
              pinned in the locked position, then you have the correct assumption
              that it is time to replace the seals.

              Judy & Bill Rouse
              s/v BeBe
              SM2 # 387

              --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drdavegoodman"
              <drdavegoodman@...> wrote:

              > Hello all;
              > In the process of preparing to install an electric toilet in the
              > forward head, I checked the forward bildge next to the head where the
              > seawater intake thru hull is located. I found a small amount of water
              > (1-2 inches) in the bildge. I did some investigating on the owners
              > site and found the info below, Kimberit and others indicate the
              > likely source is the bowthruster needing seal replacement, and further
              > indicates this can be done in while in the water using "bowthruster
              > removal tools." The info I have on board about the bowthruster is
              > very sketchy. I have contacted Amel for a boat manual several days
              > ago but so far they have been unresponsive. Any further advice would
              > be appreciated.
              > Thanks
              > Dave

            • eric
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 30, 2007
                Judy,

                I adjusted the cables and motor so that the hole lines up and that the seals
                are properly compressed. This prevents water ingress and makes life a lot
                easier when retracting the bow thruster.

                <drdavegoodman@...> wrote:

                > Hello all;
                > In the process of preparing to install an electric toilet in the
                > forward head, I checked the forward bildge next to the head where the
                > seawater intake thru hull is located. I found a small amount of water
                > (1-2 inches) in the bildge. I did some investigating on the owners
                > site and found the info below, Kimberit and others indicate the
                > likely source is the bowthruster needing seal replacement, and further
                > indicates this can be done in while in the water using "bowthruster
                > removal tools." The info I have on board about the bowthruster is
                > very sketchy. I have contacted Amel for a boat manual several days
                > ago but so far they have been unresponsive. Any further advice would
                > be appreciated.
                > Thanks
                > Dave

              • drdavegoodman
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1 5:39 AM
                  Hi Judy and Eric
                  Thanks for your responses.
                  Two questions:
                  1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
                  bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
                  to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
                  2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
                  the bowthruster is in the down position?
                  Dave

                  --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

                  > Judy,
                  >
                  > I adjusted the cables and motor so that the hole lines up and that
                  the seals
                  > are properly compressed. This prevents water ingress and makes life
                  a lot
                  > easier when retracting the bow thruster.
                  >
                  > Fair Winds,
                  >
                  > Eric
                  >
                  > Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite
                  >

                  > _____

                • Dimitris Krassopoulos
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1 8:50 AM
                    Hi to all,

                    I had the same problem and I installed a small bilge pump in the bilge close
                    to the depth sounder through hull. The sea water goes to the same brass duct
                    as the water from the shower I had just made a new one with one more inlet
                    where I fixed the hose from the new bilge pump. The pump has also a small
                    control unit which I installed easily close to the towel drier similar to
                    the jabsco control of the wc but just lower. It looks fine and works very
                    well I think that Amel should have thought of that the total cost is around
                    150 Dollars. I can send photos if anyone is interested.

                    Dimitris

                    <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

                    > Judy,
                    >
                    > I adjusted the cables and motor so that the hole lines up and that
                    the seals
                    > are properly compressed. This prevents water ingress and makes life
                    a lot
                    > easier when retracting the bow thruster.
                    >
                    > Fair Winds,
                    >
                    > Eric
                    >
                    > Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

                  • Judy
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 1 9:47 AM
                      Dave,

                      To answer your first question, there is no danger because to insert
                      the pin you have to turn off the toggle switch that is located in
                      front of the pin hole. With the toggle switch off the bow thruster
                      cannot be operated at the helm.

                      Regarding your second question, I am not sure. We were concerned that
                      we might not adjust it properly so when we were in Guadeloupe, we
                      asked Amel to adjust it. That is when Laurent at Amel-Guadeloupe said
                      it was adjusted properly and showed us how to pull on the wire cable
                      to move it the last 1/2".

                      Regarding a bilge pump for this area, we believe that it is designed
                      to remain dry. If you service the bow thruster and you secure it with
                      the locking pin, it will remain dry.

                      Best,

                      Bill & Judy Rouse

                      <drdavegoodman@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Judy and Eric
                      > Thanks for your responses.
                      > Two questions:
                      > 1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
                      > bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
                      > to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
                      > 2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
                      > the bowthruster is in the down position?
                      > Dave

                    • drdavegoodman
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2 4:41 AM
                        Judy;
                        There is no toggle switch that I can see in front of the bowthruster
                        securing pin. I have a 1998 AM, #230. What year/# is yours?
                        Dave

                        --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <sailingjudy@...> wrote:

                        > Dave,
                        >
                        > To answer your first question, there is no danger because to insert
                        > the pin you have to turn off the toggle switch that is located in
                        > front of the pin hole. With the toggle switch off the bow thruster
                        > cannot be operated at the helm.
                        >
                        > Regarding your second question, I am not sure. We were concerned that
                        > we might not adjust it properly so when we were in Guadeloupe, we
                        > asked Amel to adjust it. That is when Laurent at Amel-Guadeloupe said
                        > it was adjusted properly and showed us how to pull on the wire cable
                        > to move it the last 1/2".
                        >
                        > Regarding a bilge pump for this area, we believe that it is designed
                        > to remain dry. If you service the bow thruster and you secure it with
                        > the locking pin, it will remain dry.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Bill & Judy Rouse
                        > s/v BeBe
                        > SM2 #387
                        >
                        > --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drdavegoodman"
                        > <drdavegoodman@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Judy and Eric
                        > > Thanks for your responses.
                        > > Two questions:
                        > > 1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
                        > > bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
                        > > to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
                        > > 2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
                        > > the bowthruster is in the down position?
                        > > Dave

                      • drdavegoodman
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 17 6:14 AM
                          Eric;
                          The water was not oily. The boat is a 1998 SM. Location is St.
                          Thomas, USVI. Since I have placed the securing pin in the
                          bowthruster, I've had no further water. However, I've not been out
                          sailing since I discovered the water. Next time I go sailing, I will
                          be using the bow thruster to exit and enter my dock area. After using
                          it, I will again secure it with the pin, and will be checking for
                          water in the forward bilge.
                          The previous owner performed the Amel recommended modification to
                          prevent the bowthruster from coming out of the boat, but to my
                          knowlege has never changed the bowthruster seals. The main engine has
                          about 900 hours, to give you an idea of how much its been used.

                        • drdavegoodman
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 17 6:17 AM
                            Hi Roger;
                            I do not have any water coming down the mast/mast compression post.
                            There has been some major rain here in USVI, and no water has gotten
                            into the forward bilge since I've inserted the bowthruster secure pin.
                            Dave

                            --- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Roger Banks <roger.banks@...>

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 17 8:37 PM
                              Dave,

                              The Amel modification has nothing to do with a bow thruster leak. It is only
                              a device to prevent the loss of the bow thruster assembly,

                              If you have Oily water in the bilge, the front seal of the bow thruster is
                              leaking. That is the seal directly behind the propeller. This is not your
                              problem.

                              Clear water means that water is leaking around the bow thruster tube.

                              There are 2 sets of seals on the bow thruster. The first set is a metric lip
                              seal on top of which is a compressible foam seal; this is on the top of the
                              inside of the hull where the bow thruster assembly sits in the down
                              position. The lip seal keeps most of the water out and the compressed foam
                              seal finishes the job. The Lip seal is a standard metric lip seal. The foam
                              seal is available from Amel only. It is easy to change without removing the
                              thruster from boat.

                              There are two more foam seals one on top of the other where the bow
                              thruster tube meets the bow thruster assembly. They are simply attached with
                              silicone seal. However, the bow thruster has to be removed to replace these
                              as they are outside the hull. If you see the water coming in with the bow
                              thruster up and the boat is moving then the outside seals need replacement.
                              If the thruster leaks with the boat moving and the thruster down then the
                              inside, seals need replacing. I believe there is a diagram of this in the
                              owner’s book. When you order the seals order a few complete sets as the
                              postage costs more than the seals. if you gat a leak with the thruster up
                              and the boat moving , a temporary fix is to tighten the motor adjusting nut
                              so the motor is a little higher and compresses the outer seals a bit more. I
                              rebuild the bow thruster every year and change all of the seals and the oil
                              when I paint the bottom. I do not have any water in my bilge. As a ps ii
                              would also buy the Amel bow thruster tool. you can change the prop and all
                              the seals and oil without hauling the boat.

                              I hope this helps,

                              <http://rd.yahoo.

                              <http://us.adserver.
                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou>
                              yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou>
                              > yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
                              > > pmail/S=:HM/A=1945638/rand=468978337>
                              > >
                              > > _____
                              > >
                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > > http://groups. <http://groups.
                              yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/>
                              > yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/

                              > > amelyachtowners-
                              <mailto:amelyachtowners-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > unsubscribe@ <mailto:unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                              > > <mailto:amelyachtowners-
                              > <mailto:amelyachtowners-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > unsubscribe@ <mailto:unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                              yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

                              > > <http://docs. <http://docs. <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                              yahoo.com/info/terms/>