3049RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Forward bilge water

  • eric
    Jul 17, 2007
      Dave,

      The Amel modification has nothing to do with a bow thruster leak. It is only
      a device to prevent the loss of the bow thruster assembly,

      If you have Oily water in the bilge, the front seal of the bow thruster is
      leaking. That is the seal directly behind the propeller. This is not your
      problem.

      Clear water means that water is leaking around the bow thruster tube.

      There are 2 sets of seals on the bow thruster. The first set is a metric lip
      seal on top of which is a compressible foam seal; this is on the top of the
      inside of the hull where the bow thruster assembly sits in the down
      position. The lip seal keeps most of the water out and the compressed foam
      seal finishes the job. The Lip seal is a standard metric lip seal. The foam
      seal is available from Amel only. It is easy to change without removing the
      thruster from boat.

      There are two more foam seals one on top of the other where the bow
      thruster tube meets the bow thruster assembly. They are simply attached with
      silicone seal. However, the bow thruster has to be removed to replace these
      as they are outside the hull. If you see the water coming in with the bow
      thruster up and the boat is moving then the outside seals need replacement.
      If the thruster leaks with the boat moving and the thruster down then the
      inside, seals need replacing. I believe there is a diagram of this in the
      owner’s book. When you order the seals order a few complete sets as the
      postage costs more than the seals. if you gat a leak with the thruster up
      and the boat moving , a temporary fix is to tighten the motor adjusting nut
      so the motor is a little higher and compresses the outer seals a bit more. I
      rebuild the bow thruster every year and change all of the seals and the oil
      when I paint the bottom. I do not have any water in my bilge. As a ps ii
      would also buy the Amel bow thruster tool. you can change the prop and all
      the seals and oil without hauling the boat.

      I hope this helps,

      Fair Winds,

      Eric

      Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite