Neck & Back Cracking and Leg Braces

  • Tedd Mallasch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hello All,

      I am a 56 year old guy with Arthrogryposis.  My wrists & feet are bent, my legs & arms are short & skinny, both arms were locked straight, however Shriners Hospital bent my right arm a long time ago, so I could get a hand to my face.

      I use my neck a lot, as a result I have an 18 inch neck.  Never had any neck or back pain, but my neck started cracking about four months ago.  When I turn my head hard & fast to the right, my neck cracks, sometimes I need to stand straight, with the base of my neck touching the outside of a corner in my house, to get leverage in order to crack it.  It always feels like it needs to crack, sometimes down into my spine, and I've been cracking it about 25 times a day.  It seems to lock up when I'm on my computer too long or when I lie down in bed.  I was wondering whether this is a normal progression with AMC or if it's just old age.  Any thoughts?

      LEG BRACES: It seems to me the standard leather & metal brace hasn't really changed all that much from the days of the Civil War.  Not that they are perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  My theories as to why they haven't evolved have to do with lack of profit making a new type of brace and the fact that users often don't walk a lot, so the discomfort isn't overbearing.  I tried plastic braces, but they were worse for me than the regular ones.  One of my frustrations is that I cannot put on & off the braces by myself, which impacts my independence and puts an undue burden on my elderly mother.

      Here are my thoughts...  Use silicon (similar to the silicon sleeves used for prosthetics) to cushion the tops of the braces, knee-caps, & the braces themselves, and have a zip-up sleeve that would encompass the entire braces.  Then have the sole of a shoe affixed to the brace (with the front of the sole turned up, similar to Dutch shoes, so they wouldn't catch), on top of the sole would be velcro, and there would be velcro on the bottom of the shoes.  The shoes would close with velcro rather than laces.  The shoes would affix onto the sole, which is affixed to the brace.

      Just wondering whether anybody has tried anything similar to what I am considering, as well as your thoughts.

      Thanks,
      Tedd
      773-716-9157

    • kdaugustino2
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
        I bet its due to a lot of use. I have AMC too. I'm 27, and i depending how i move i can get some cracking in my neck. Likely its arthritis and normal for us. But i don't think you should crack your neck. Try taking breaks every so often from the computer. If your like me and spend most of the day on a computer. Taking breaks is a good idea. Hopefully the other members can suggest more. I'm curious about it too.

        In regards to the braces, I'm not sure. Last time i was up walking it was with the normal single or double bar. But your suggestion is interesting.
        Kevin

        --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, Tedd Mallasch wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am a 56 year old guy with Arthrogryposis.  My wrists & feet are bent, my legs & arms are short & skinny, both arms were locked straight, however Shriners Hospital bent my right arm a long time ago, so I could get a hand to my face.
        >
        > I use my neck a lot, as a result I have an 18 inch neck.  Never had any neck or back pain, but my neck started cracking about four months ago.  When I turn my head hard & fast to the right, my neck cracks, sometimes I need to stand straight, with the base of my neck touching the outside of a corner in my house, to get leverage in order to crack it.  It always feels like it needs to crack, sometimes down into my spine, and I've been cracking it about 25 times a day.  It seems to lock up when I'm on my computer too long or when I lie down in bed.  I was wondering whether this is a normal progression with AMC or if it's just old age.  Any thoughts?
        >
        > LEG BRACES: It seems to me the standard leather & metal brace hasn't really changed all that much from the days of the Civil War.  Not that they are perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  My theories as to why they haven't evolved have to do with lack of profit making a new type of brace and the fact that users often don't walk a lot, so the discomfort isn't overbearing.  I tried plastic braces, but they were worse for me than the regular ones.  One of my frustrations is that I cannot put on & off the braces by myself, which impacts my independence and puts an undue burden on my elderly mother.
        >
        > Here are my thoughts...  Use silicon (similar to the silicon sleeves used for prosthetics) to cushion the tops of the braces, knee-caps, & the braces themselves, and have a zip-up sleeve that would encompass the entire braces.  Then have the sole of a shoe affixed to the brace (with the front of the sole turned up, similar to Dutch shoes, so they wouldn't catch), on top of the sole would be velcro, and there would be velcro on the bottom of the shoes.  The shoes would close with velcro rather than laces.  The shoes would affix onto the sole, which is affixed to the brace.
        >
        > Just wondering whether anybody has tried anything similar to what I am considering, as well as your thoughts.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Tedd
        > 773-716-9157

      • Adam Menze
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
          Hello,

          I am 42 and my physical condition sounds a lot like Ted's, except I have no
          braces. When I was younger, I had bicep-tricep transfers done which changed
          my arms from being rigid and straight to bent 90 degrees with some range of
          motion. As long as I can remember, my elbows have "cracked". And if I
          didn't crack them, my range of motion was limited. About five years ago I
          asked my brother in law, who was trained as an orthopedic surgeon about it.
          He told me the "cracking" was caused by the tendon sliding over a catch
          point in the joint. Not a big deal, but annoying. I have not thought about
          my elbows cracking in quite some time until Ted's email came. My elbows
          don't "crack" anymore. I'm guessing that as I age, my joints are wearing
          out.

          As I age, I find that I am having more pain in my knees. Sometime my knees
          "click" as I walk. I'm taking three Ibuprofen each morning, but question
          how long I can continue doing this before something else will need to be
          done. Anyone have something similar with their knees?

          Anyone in the upper Midwest have their pilot's license?

          Adam Menze

          218-367-7777