advice from anywhere

  • whiskeygirl0220
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2011
      hello. I do not have arthro but son does. He is now going to be 11 and I am looking for a good place for him to go where he can learn what amc is all about on a level that is his own. Is there anyone that may know of anywhere or anyone that would be willing to "mentor" to this? We have done fairly well with this but now hes getting older and there are some things he may need advice on. We also are starting to encounter bullying by kids that are starting new to the school district. So as I said, any advice or links that may help him would be greatly appreciated!!

      Sincerely,
      Paula B
    • Pete Hughes
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2011
        Paula B. Sounds to me like the school your son is going to needs mentoring and disabled awareness. Where do you live? Although I have Arthrogryposis I run the community outreach program for the Spinal Cord Injury Support group of Arizona and we have a peer mentoring program your son and your family could speak with, although not exactly the same at least some of the topics we cover will be similiar. We go out and speak to schools and do presentations, Surely there is some organization similiar in your state that does the same? Sometimes our group doesn't reach the bullies but reaches the surrounding students and they tell the bullies to cut it out.
        Advise for your son that I would give him after being called every name in the book (Cripple, Gimp, Walking Tree, Peg leg Pete, Stick, Crutch to name just a few) over my years is to never take what these kids are saying about you seriously. I have found that bullys are trying to overlook their own issues. We need to attempt to develop thick skin and realize personal self esteem is far more important then what others think say or do. Bullying of any type should be brought to the attention of the school administration and keep a good record of the incidences. I taught Adaptive PE for years in Middle school and would advise this to all of my student's parents. It is a very serious problem especially with the social networking we now have so we need to take it very seriously.

        Peter Hughes

        To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
        From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 21:54:32 +0000