roommates

  • rjross91
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011
      hi i was wondering if any of you rent apartments or house and live with roommates?...just wondering how you guys help around the house?
    • Jerry Watkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
        Hah, help around the house? I run the house, do the landscaping, all the
        regular maintenance, and more. Help... Step up to the plate.

        -Jerry
        (860)213-2676

        --
        -Jerry

      • SteveP
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011
          So much depends on the state of your disability. Some of us can do one thing.. and some another.

          For my case, my roommates are my wife, my 4 children, and my aging mom.

          and I do whatever i can. Dishes, home repair, lawn care, etc. But somethings others can do better than i can.. so we negotiate. No one is interested in seeing me get out of work.. but they do recognize that somethings work better than others.

          Just keep talking.. don't close the door on something without even trying.. and be fair to your roommates .. and they will be fair with you .. specially if they see you are trying your best.. and not asking to be left out of your share of the work.

          Good luck!!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011
            jerry are you fully confined to a wheelchair??...all four of my limbs are affected

            --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Watkins <j.watkinsiii@...> wrote:

            > Hah, help around the house? I run the house, do the landscaping, all the
            > regular maintenance, and more. Help... Step up to the plate.
            >
            > -Jerry
            > (860)213-2676
            >
            > On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:34 PM, rjross91 <rjross91@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > hi i was wondering if any of you rent apartments or house and live with
            > > roommates?...just wondering how you guys help around the house?
            > >

            > --
            > -Jerry

          • Helle Karina
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
              Never had roommates as such. I've either lived with family or lived alone and alwas got along.
              Didn't get my diagnosis until at age 37 though but I've had the need for personal aids for quite a long time.
              I have mild AMC but all limbs are affected so I have things I can not do and things that hurt like crazy.
              All I have to do though, is ask for help from either my boyfriend, that I live with, or family and friends.
              How ever I tend to want to do things my self even if I know that I'll have major pains the following day.
              Naturally there are limits. Eg. I can not reach the top shelfs of the kitchen cupboards and other things that are high so I'll have to ask for help if I need things from there - or if I need to have dusted on top of things.
              Also I can not hold small things, so if I need something to be sowed I need help.
              No matter what one can or can not do there's always a possibility to get help and get by.
              It's just a matter of ingenuity and resourcefulness RJ :-)

            • rjross91
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
                haha thanks for the words of encouragement

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011