I need feedback, please!!! I'm 9 months pregnant and I have Arthrogyposis

  • speedy86_2292
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2011
      I am wanting to try a vaginal delivery and my doctor is all for letting me try. My doctor has been looking in every medical journal she can find and every case of pregnancy/delivery in mothers with Arthrogryposis ends in a c-section, but she said that doesn't mean there hasn't been a successful vaginal delivery it just means nobody recorded it because it was a success. I told her about our group and we agreed that it would be a good idea to ask all of you if you know of any successful vaginal deliveries. I have the "classic case" of AMC (hands, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, and feet) but I'm sure you already knew that. I also have scoliosis but its not too bad. I need as much feedback as possible and as soon as possible, please. My next appointment is this Thursday unless I go into labor before then...lol. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any advise you can give me and my doctor.
    • Theresa Lucas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2011
        I would suggest going to the amcsupport forum and join and post this
        question there. I know we have members that can help you with your question!
        www.amcsupport.org/forum

        ~Theresa Lucas
        http://www.theresalucas.com
        Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita Support, Inc.~ President
        http://www.amcsupport.org

        On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM, speedy86_2292 <mushroom86@...>wrote:

        > I am wanting to try a vaginal delivery and my doctor is all for letting me
        > try. My doctor has been looking in every medical journal she can find and
        > every case of pregnancy/delivery in mothers with Arthrogryposis ends in a
        > c-section, but she said that doesn't mean there hasn't been a successful
        > vaginal delivery it just means nobody recorded it because it was a success.
        > I told her about our group and we agreed that it would be a good idea to ask
        > all of you if you know of any successful vaginal deliveries. I have the
        > "classic case" of AMC (hands, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, and feet) but
        > I'm sure you already knew that. I also have scoliosis but its not too bad. I
        > need as much feedback as possible and as soon as possible, please. My next
        > appointment is this Thursday unless I go into labor before then...lol. Thank
        > you for taking the time to read this and for any advise you can give me and
        > my doctor.

      • Helle Karina
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2011
          AMC runs in my family, on my father side. Most births in our family have been viginal. Of the ones I know how the child was delivered I count 15 vaginal births and 2 c-sections. All of the mothers and children (in that line of the family) have AMC, at the moment my extended family counts at least 17 with AMC (and most likely two more, that we don't know since they were born out of marriage in the "good old days" when that was a big "No No" - so there are several succesful vaginal deliveries.
          It all depends on which part of your body that's accefted by AMC but if your doctor says it's possible, it's possible. Don't see why it shouldn't be if she says it is.

          Good luck - I hope you get to have the expeirence you would like.

          Helle-Karina Jensen

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2011
            .i had a vaginal birth but was the only one of the family who had amc and it was
            just my lo9ver hips legs and feet that were affected.               Neal

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
              goodluckkkk...keep us updated, because im curious now?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2011
                I will keep all of you updated and thank all of you for the help. I am the only one in my family that has amc and from my son's ultrasounds he doesn't have it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 12, 2011
                  My OB wanted me to ask a few questions about the vaginal deliveries.
                  1. Were they induced?
                  2. Were they induced early?
                  3. How big were the babies?
                  4. Did they need any assistance such as a vacuum or forceps?

                  Thank you for your help, again.
                • Helle Karina
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 14, 2011
                    As said my family has many cases of AMC and as far as I know most births were normal vaginal deliveres, not induced, not early. All were more or less normal.
                    A few deliveries ended in a c-section because the babies were huge (about 5 kilo) but all in all the % of those births are less than the non-amc-ones that end in c-section for the same reasons.
                    In the cases of c-section in my family (where the mother has amc) it was because the birth canal wasn't big enough to handle such big babies, so amc or not it would have ended in c-section.
                    Maybe I should also say that my family isn't affected hugely by amc, or rather we have it all over our bodies but it's all the little things that make it affect us. Eg. we have stif or missing joints in our fingers and feet. But we have joints all over that have limites range of motion (shoulders, elbows, wrists hips, kness ancles, neck and back) so we hardly have one joint on our body that has full range of motion. This explaination to tell you that it all depends on where and how you are affected by AMC and if that prevents you of giving birth vaginally. If there's a change I'd say go for it.

                    Best of luck

                    Helle Karina