adopting a child with AMC, really need advice!

  • zoo35511
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23 6:13 PM
      Hi Everyone,

      Thank you for letting me join. We are adopting a 20
      month old from Eastern Europe who has  arthrogryposis. We don't  really
      know how severely she is affected. I have enclosed a picture of her.

      will be bringing her home alone, so I wanted to carry her in some kind
      of sling so she would feel secure, but I am not sure if she will be able
      to wrap her legs around me.

      Does anyone have any advice about what to use? Or any other advice about how to prepare myself!

      Thank you!

      Catherine
      wronginalltherigthways-travcat.blogspot.com

    • becky deaver
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25 8:37 AM
        Sorry I didn't see an attached picture.  Perhaps this group doesn't allow them in the posts and you need to put it up separately.  Just thinking about myself, I would think if you had your arm around the child, she'll feel secure.  The range of severity with AMC is go great that it is really hard to say.  If you can post the picture in the photo section that may help.

        I think it is wonderful that you are adopting this child!  You must be such a caring and good person!  As for the girl herself, I can only speak from my own experiences.  I am now 58 years old, and was born with AMC.  Back then not a whole lot was known or done about it.  I am fortunate, I have muscles that work - some lots better than others - and don't really have other problems except joints and range of motion.  And I have to tell you, if you just went by the numbers, how much my joints bend - you'd never get the whole story.

        My arms for example will not straighten and the elbows each might bend 45 degrees of a 90 degree right angle L ...  And my knees similar.  But I had two older siblings to keep up with - and I did!  My parents were very supportive and encouraged me every step of the way.  I was not "allowed" to see my birth defect as an excuse not to do things.  And I really believe that this was the very best "medicine" I could ever receive.

        But each child is different and their AMC is different, so you can't compare.  Just hold her and love her and encourage her and you'll be perfect for her!
        Becky

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25 4:49 PM
          I'm an AMC adoptee myself. I am 1 of 5 kids all adopted, and am the middle
          child. My 4 siblings and myself are all no more then 1 year age gap between us
          and the under 2 boys are 3 months apart. needless to say my mom never had enough
          hands to hold us all, so, i pretty much lived in one of those baby holders that
          you wear on the front and then moved to a baby backpack hiking carrier when i
          was older like 3y/o. sadly i was in it on all of our trail walk or zoo trips
          until i was like 10y/o i was a rather small kid so i fit in it forever it
          seemed.

          Ally

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26 7:56 AM
            Allyson
            Can you walk on your own now?  How does your AMC effect your body? (muscles that work or don't, what can bend, etc.)  Hope you don't mind, I am just curious to hear how others with this are effected.
            Thanks,
            Becky

            From: zoo35511 <zoo35511@...>

            To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com