Head, Sholders, Knees and Toes.. Knees and Toes

  • elizabetheel8
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 20, 2011
      Remember that song? I feel like that song lately! I have given up going to doctors because they either don't know what AMC is and or they want to dope my up. I have four children and cannot afford to be medicated that way. I am in so much pain every day that I feel like I'll die any minute. My solders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, ankles, and feet all hurt all the time.

      Growing up I was always able to ignore the pains and keep moving. Over the last year it feels like I'm being crushed in a rapidly and continually exploding volcano. The daily pain and suffering is affecting my sleep which causes sever sleep deprivation. I feel my hands becoming more useless as the days pass by and I feel like crap when I recently had to call the local police to break my door in because both doors froze shut and I was trapped inside while the children were trapped outside in -2 weather.

      Where can one pull strength from? I go to church every Sunday and I've been praying since I was a little girl.

      When is it OK to acknowledge defeat? My life has snowballed into something I never saw coming and their is zero quality left.

      Thank you for listening, as only we know what we are all going through.
    • elizabetheel8

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 20, 2011
          --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "elizabetheel8" <elizabetheel8@...> wrote:

          > Remember that song? I feel like that song lately! I have given up going to doctors because they either don't know what AMC is and or they want to dope me up. I have four children and cannot afford to be medicated that way. I am in so much pain every day that I feel like I'll die any minute. My shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands, hips, knees, ankles, and feet all hurt all the time.
          >
          > Growing up I was always able to ignore the pains and keep moving. Over the last year it feels like I'm being crushed in a rapidly and continually exploding volcano. The daily pain and suffering is affecting my sleep which causes sever sleep deprivation. I feel my hands becoming more useless as the days pass by and I feel like crap when I recently had to call the local police to break my door in because both doors froze shut and I was trapped inside while the children were trapped outside in -2 weather.
          >
          > Where can one pull strength from? I go to church every Sunday and I've been praying since I was a little girl.
          >
          > When is it OK to acknowledge defeat? My life has snowballed into something I never saw coming and their is zero quality left.
          >
          > Thank you for listening, as only we know what we are all going through.

          Sorry it double posted after my edit.
        • Pam Sadowski
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 21, 2011
            Hello Elizabeth,

            I can empathize with your dilemma. I'm 52, have AMC everywhere, work full-time, and am still able to walk. The only way that I've managed to keep going these past few years has been with physical therapy and a joint supplement I found at my local health/vitamin store. I'm providing a link to the product, as well as a description of the ingredients. I am NOT affiliated with this product in any way, other than the fact that I use it. It does work for me and on my "bad" days I wash down a couple of aspirin along with them, only in the morning. Within 20-30 minutes things are better. Unfortunately this stuff is not cheap, but the price is offset, by the lack of pain it provides to me. I started out taking the recommended dosage for the first couple of weeks and just take enough now to keep things in check. I hope this can help you as well.
            ~Pam

            Here's the link: http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/products/category/webcategory106-ayurvedic.aspx

            Also here's a description of the ingredients:

            Within the scope of Ayurvedic medicine for treating afflicted joints, the herbal combination, Ayurvedic Joint Health, neutralizes inflammation, pain and stops degeneration of tissues. Arthritis and similar afflictions are the main target of this formula, using herbs from the Eastern world that have been proven effective-perhaps for longer than the existence of Chinese medicine, which Ayurvedic practices influenced from the beginning.

            Herbal formulations are not mixed together indiscriminately but are carefully blended to bring out the best qualities of each ingredient for the most effective healing. The following list of herbs found in the Ayurvedic Joint Health possesses the properties that treat joint inflammation and degeneration, in addition to restoring tissue.

            Apium graveolens or "wild celery" is also called garden celery and smallage. This herb's seeds act as a nerve stimulant, an anti-spasmodic (muscle cramps, spasms) and a diuretic, which helps reduce swelling.

            Boerhaavia diffusa is significant for its antiinflammatory activity.

            Boswellia serrata, also known as Indian incense or Olibanum, contains boswellic acid, which is a naturally occurring element that has been scientifically proven to have anti-inflammatory properties. This herb is considered to be an aromatic, bitter and astringent herb all at the same time.

            Commiphora mukul is better known as"Guggul," a highly potent anti-inflammatory agent, even when compared in experiments to hydrocortisone and butazolidinin, which are also used to combat arthritis.

            Cyperus rotundus is a perennial grass-like herb that also grows in America. This plant is an aromatic for both the digestive and nervous systems, helpful in alleviating inflammation and pain.

            Holarrbena antidysenterica, also known as the "Easter tree," is a powerful astringent and stomachic, both important for general muscle tone, inflammation and tissue restoration.

            Paderia foetida is an old folk remedy used for stiffness of the joints, contraction of muscles and rheumatism.

            Smilax china, or China root, contains two saponins, which are foaming compounds that emulsify fats, that help alleviate inflammation. This herb is also a blood purifier, tonic and diuretic.

            Sida cordifolia root has a diuretic action that helps to reduce swelling.

            Tinospora cordifolia is an alterative (producing good results in a quiet manner) and is a diuretic, thus helping to reduce inflammation. This plant also is known to help reduce some kinds of tumorous growths.

            Trachyspermum ammi is used in folk medicine for rheumatism and similar conditions.

            Tribulus terrestris fruit is bitter and pungent but useful as a tonic for inflammations, strengthening the nerves and improving mental outlook.

            Trigonella foenum-graecum is commonly known as fenugreek seed, so helpful in correcting digestive problems, healing wounds and reducing inflammation.

            Vitex negundo is an astringent and sedative.

            Withania somnifera is widely known as an .adaptogen" like ginseng, which is famous for its powerful restorative properties. This herb is also a nerve tonic.

            Sources Chinese Herbs by John D. Keys (Rutland, Vermont: Charles E. Tuttle Co., 1976).
            Tropica by Alfred B. Graf ( East Rutherford, New Jersey: Roehrs Co., 1981).
            CRC Handbook of Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants by L. D. Kapoor (Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press, 1990).
            For Educational Purposes Only
            This handout was prepared by Nature's Field P.O. Box 425, Springville, UT 84663
            It may be copied and distributed provided it is not altered in any way.

            > song lately! I have given up going to doctors because they
            > either don't know what AMC is and or they want to dope my
            > up. I have four children and cannot afford to be medicated
            > that way. I am in so much pain every day that I feel like
            > I'll die any minute. My solders, elbows, wrists, hands,
            > hips, knees, ankles, and feet all hurt all the time.
            >
            > Growing up I was always able to ignore the pains and keep
            > moving. Over the last year it feels like I'm being crushed
            > in a rapidly and continually exploding volcano. The daily
            > pain and suffering is affecting my sleep which causes sever
            > sleep deprivation. I feel my hands becoming more useless as
            > the days pass by and I feel like crap when I recently had to
            > call the local police to break my door in because both doors
            > froze shut and I was trapped inside while the children were
            > trapped outside in -2 weather.
            >
            > Where can one pull strength from? I go to church every
            > Sunday and I've been praying since I was a little girl.
            >
            > When is it OK to acknowledge defeat? My life has snowballed
            > into something I never saw coming and their is zero quality
            > left.
            >
            > Thank you for listening, as only we know what we are all
            > going through.

            >     amc_adults-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • TRACY ULRICH
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 21, 2011
              I do understand pain.  There were times when I said "just shoot me!"
              A few years ago I was put on Methadone 5 mg 4 times a day. I don't like
              taking it either, but my life changed in such a great way. I can walk out
              of the house, walk around some, and come in and make a sandwich and
              not think about pain. I've even left my house without having pain pills
              on me, I don't remember the last time that happened.
              The pills will probably kill me in the long run, but I'm a firm believer
              in quality of life not quantity.
              I don't have kids so I can't understand that much of it,
              but just about every part of my body would be in unbelievable pain,
              if it wasn't for pain pills, that it's hard to say.
              I wish you the very best and good luck. Hang in there and keep pushing forward.
              Life is good, but not always.

              tau
              Tracy Ann

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 21, 2011
                How old were you when the pain started?I remember my knees hurting as a kid, then my lover back as a teen and now I'm 38 and I'm having nerve blocks done to my spine because my pain pills are not cutting it. I'm also feeling "stupid" because of the meds and that isn't good as I feel it is jeopardizing my career. As it is I have been on disability from work since september . . .I'm trying meditation too but Im tired of hurting ALL the flippin time. I too do not have children and I think that has been a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't be the best mommy I can be.

                Life is what you make of it!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 21, 2011
                  I know some will get upset with me for saying this, IMO prayer comforts us,it will not heal you or take away the pain.
                  Prayer will not save you if you are drowing,you still need oxygen, prayer will not help you with pain,you still need to find a way to stop it, I have spent so much of my life in hosptials and I have learned that prayer is a good way to mediatate and use up time until actual real medications or treatments kick in.

                  Now after being chemical poisoned a little over a year ago and losing most of the skin on my legs and enduring pain beyond pain with open flesh and nerve endings open to air I tried so many different pain med combos then I ever imagined existed.
                  The one thing that upset me the most is the IDIOTS that would come in and say ohh, god wont give u more pain then u can handle, well, if that is the meaning of gods love then their god sucks completely.
                  My personal god is now more of a montra, a comforting meditation to pass the time and center my breathing and self while my meds take effect.

                  I do totally like the link and suggestions the lady sent you, it sounds like something to try.
                  Believe me, I understand being in so much pain that you really do want life to just be over if it will not get any better.
                  At this point I honestly feel you still do have some things left you can try before totally giving up. I will say I think you are in a clinical depression from the pain, I have been there,and there is no shame in being depressed from pain, it is how we evolved for some reason. It took a suicide attempt to try to get away from the pain for me to admit that I cannot deal with the chronic pain anymore and I was able to find some help, it took months and months but I am finally having almost as many good days as bad days and something is better then nothing.

                  I would try what the lady suggested for a minimum of 4 months,then judge if it has helped, hopefully it will ease some of the pain.I erally hope it does, pain is the worst thing one has to endure.
                  It might not help but remember I will be thinking of you and feel free to email me if you need to vent. I had someone be there for me and if I can listen to you I will do all I can.
                  zhinka

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 21, 2011
                    My chronic pain started during my twenties when I underwent 8 hip surgeries,
                    and 2 in my thirties. I haven't worked since then.
                    I'm 48 now and I'm a student. My memory is shot completely,
                    and menapause isn't helping. I don't know how I keep a high GPA.
                    As a young girl I had leg aches they called growing pains, and as I got older
                    I wondered what the pains were called.  Then when the hip surgeries started
                    at 20 I was in severe pain, laid on the couch for 2 years, and haven't had a
                    pain free day since.
                    As far as pain pills, at 12 I started taking codene, my 20's started vicodon:
                    reg
                    strenth, 500's 750's and extra strenth. Once in my 40's the pain started
                    becoming
                    unbareble again.  I begged the doctor to put me on methadone, actually told
                    him I would not leave his office until he gave it to me, he gave me a script and
                    the next day I was 95 percent painfree.  It's been 4 years now and I'm still
                    doing great!
                    I don't know what I'm doing to my body by not feeling it, but I don't think
                    about it much and live life to the fullest. I have to say tho, my body seems to
                    be giving out where I didn't expect.  My elbow, my wrist and fingers. AMC
                    doesn't even affect my upper body! Arthritis set in pretty fast.
                    Oh boy, what to do!
                    Please tell me about spinal blocks and what happens when they do it.
                    Thanks

                    tau
                    Tracy Ann

                    ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 22, 2011
                        Thank you to everyone that has replied to me! Everything you're writing I can relate to. My pain started young and I was told it was part of growing up. Then, I too, wondered what it was called once I was in my 20's. I'm in my 30's now and I'm wondering what to do or where to go. I've been to Mayo three times, been through their torture procedures, and they never have any help for me at the end. I have ignored the pain and kept tough for my children but now, it is not something I can hide from them any more.
                        I am wondering what the nerve block does and if it would help me. I am also going to look into the joint supplement that was suggested.

                        Life is indeed what we make of it... my question is how to make it out of the pain in order to have the life I would like to make...

                        It is encouraging to know I am Not alone in this struggle. Thank you all so very much!!
                      • elizabetheel8

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 22, 2011
                            You are welcome, good luck and let me know how it goes.
                            Suppliments have never helped me and I've tried a lot.
                            I've never tried the ones reccommended here so let me know
                            if they work.

                            Good luck and best wishes to you.

                            tau
                            Tracy Ann

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 23, 2011
                              Hey,

                              This is what me and my dad take it is a herbal thing http://www.healthylife.net.au/SP_HL_Glucosamine_1500.asp
                              I honestly don't know if it helps me (I take quite a few tablets a day aswell) But my dad swears by it and my doctors swear by it. I should mention these people don't have athrogryposis but dad has always (the last 24 years) had really bad ankle pain due t a car accident and he says it really helps and he can feel the difference when he doesn't have it and given we are both on the exact same tablets I would certainly take his word for it. Other than that I have always been told to swim and it makes a huge difference for me... And that is the end of my expertise as I am not much use I am only 22 and although I have alot of pain I have yet to endure the worst I think?

                              All the best!
                              Michelle