Anesthesia Pain

  • Rodney Lewis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15 9:06 PM
      Hello;

      I have a surgery coming up where they have to put me to sleep. I am worried about them pricking me with needles for the IV or making me put that gas mask on.

      When I was little and had to have surgeries I had about five where they gave me an enema that put me to sleep before the needles and the mask, but my last surgery, when I was thirteen, it took them so long to find a vein they were poking for hours, I didn't want the mask, and then when they found a vein the medicine burned terribly. I don't like enemas but they are a lot better than getting poked for hours.

      How do I ask my anesthesia doctor for this? Did they stop doing this just because I was a teen? Is it ok for an adult to ask for this procedure? especially considering my tiny veins?

      I read on mayoclinic.com: "General anesthetics are usually given by inhalation or by injection into a vein. However, certain anesthetics may be given rectally to help produce sleep before surgery or certain other procedures."

      It doesn't specify whether this is for adults or just kids.

      Are there any other things you as a person with AMC ask for when having surgery?

      Thanks!
    • Frances A. Wang
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16 1:03 PM
        Hi,

        Look, you are a patient with very special vascular needs. Demand what you require or deny anything that is not good for you.
        Demand or strongly reguest a pediatric Anesthesiologist. I used to nurse and saw them, who are used to working on premies, etc, do wonders
        starting IVs others can not. Ask for what is best for you. No question. Patient rights. If the enema route is less stressful for you, go ahead and ask about it.
        Don't be afraid to respectfully request what you need, explain why and stick to your guns. Make sure you have a witness
        though just in case the establishment has something to say about your request or attitude in so doing. Being a partner in your care
        is a must. You might want to write it out for them so it can go into your chart and so you don't forget anything you want to say to them.
        It is OK to discuss your own care, including anesthesia.
        My son has the same problem and it is how we do things. Being an advocate for yourself in a polite and well informed way is
        a necessity in today's hectic medical world. AMC is a rare condition. We have to educate.

        Best of luck.
        Frances in Maryland

        On Nov 16, 2010, at 12:06 AM, Rodney Lewis wrote:

        > Hello;
        >
        > I have a surgery coming up where they have to put me to sleep. I am worried about them pricking me with needles for the IV or making me put that gas mask on.
        >
        > When I was little and had to have surgeries I had about five where they gave me an enema that put me to sleep before the needles and the mask, but my last surgery, when I was thirteen, it took them so long to find a vein they were poking for hours, I didn't want the mask, and then when they found a vein the medicine burned terribly. I don't like enemas but they are a lot better than getting poked for hours.
        >
        > How do I ask my anesthesia doctor for this? Did they stop doing this just because I was a teen? Is it ok for an adult to ask for this procedure? especially considering my tiny veins?
        >
        > I read on mayoclinic.com: "General anesthetics are usually given by inhalation or by injection into a vein. However, certain anesthetics may be given rectally to help produce sleep before surgery or certain other procedures."
        >
        > It doesn't specify whether this is for adults or just kids.
        >
        > Are there any other things you as a person with AMC ask for when having surgery?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Betty Hicks
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16 1:03 PM
          I had surgery for the first time after not having surgery since I was 12. Man
          was I surprised at how much I could decide on, like the gas mask, I told them
          under any circumstances they were NOT to use the mask. and before the surgery,
          they have you sign a form that you can write what you do not want done and that
          includes the mask, I have never of a enema as a way to put the person to sleep,
          I would never allow that. I don't mind needles so that is the only way I will
          be put to sleep. Hope this helps in a way.

          Betty