Bathroom Remodel

  • lokajaq
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hi my name RJ; I live in Long Beach,Ca I'm 19 yrs. old and currently attending CSULB. I'm new to the forum and i wanted to as if any of you have any ideas you can share about bathroom remodels. I just want it to make it easier for whoever is helping me shower. All four of my limbs are affected by AMC; and i use a wheelchair in order to move. If you can give me any ideas or send pics of your bathrooms that would be much appreciated. I am not getting any smaller and my parents and friends are not getting any younger, so any idea is great, and thanks in advance.
    • Patty Clarke
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
        Hi RJ, how are you currently showering, what adaptations are you using if
        any, and what are you thinking you might need? Right now, I have a shower
        bench over my bathtub and I can transfer from my wheelchair to the bench and
        then get my legs over. That part is getting harder so eventually what I
        would like to do is to have a roll in shower, with a bench built in and then
        as time goes on I will get a stainless steel water wheelchair and wheel
        right in..

        All four limbs are affect with me as well as my hips and spine. I am now
        really having trouble shampooing my hair. I used to be able to hold one arm
        up with the other, then my shoulders started stiffening ad slightly come out
        of the joints. Then I bought a shampooer, a long handled device, worked
        great for 7 years or so until about 6 months ago when my right shoulder,
        stronger arm really seized and I can hardly reach the top of my head with
        the shampooer..am not sure what I am going to do!! I currently do not have
        attendant care..and really don't want it just for showering because all I
        will get is twice a week, I want to shower every other day...

        Patty.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
          Hi RJ
          I'm 37 and have only just recently been diagnosed with AMC but naturally I've had issues all my life. Although my entire body is affected by AMC I'm not bound to a wheelchair I can still walk (but have to use a walker if it's more than a few meters) and have "only a light degree" of AMC.

          I live in Denmark, Europe so I suppose that the rules and tool availeble to me is different than what you might be able to get your hands on or what the rules state you're to be given to help you in your everyday life.
          We have a database where we can search for tools and aids that might help us, And in addition to that I've had to be inventive and make and design a couple of things myself. But we do have different places that we can call - or go to - that can help us make our home acceable to us. I'm pretty sure that you have that too in the USÁ.
          My advice to you is to search for those online.

          In addition to that I can tell you that it's more or less costumary in Denmark now to make sure that your bathroom is wheelchair accesable which means that you can take your wheelchair into the shower - it's a must when you have to use one that it can go everywhere in the home.
          Also I find that easy to clean surfaces also make it easier to go about when you're disabled so maybe that's worth thinking about.

          For Patty:
          Also I wanted to say to you that there are aids that can help you wash both yourself and your hair.
          I have recently started having the same problems with my shoulders as you do and because of that I've gotten special aids to help me wash my back, my feet and I have the possibility to get something to help me wash my hair when that's nessecary. You may want to look at the Danish aids database at www.hmi-basen.dk and search for "haarvasker" You can get many different kinds. But if you still have a bit of mobility in your shoulders, albows and wrists I suggest that you find out where to buy something like the Beauty products you can see at this site http://www.etac.dk/da/etacdk/Produkter/Senior/Bad-og-toilet/I-baderummet/Beauty/
          Hope that might help you a bit. You welcome to send me an e-mail if you want more info about the products you see on the Danish site - I don't think it has an "show in English function" so you might have problems understanding what it says. I'm sure though, that it's possible to find simular products in the US.

          Helle Karina

          daizyrina@...

        • rj
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
            hi thanks for he repot currently i'm using a bathchair but my parents/friends have to lift me to and from the bahroom. the roll in shower is a great idea i might have to use that especialy for when i move out.
            thanks patty