Anyone know of a saddle maker that can custom fit?

  • zhinka aka otter_woman
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2010
      I have been lurking for about a month now. I wanted to make sure that family members were really welcome to ask questions. I am in a spinal injury group and some of the members there get real upset when outsiders dare to pose a question,but it seems super friendly in here.

      OK bit of backround, I have a spinal injury that I am doing well with, lucked out and is pretty mobile most of the time,no pain no gain type of thing,but thats why they created pain meds. I cannot climb well and I try anyway and when I tire out I lose my legs again so I ride horse.
      My fiance has AMC and he can stand and balance enough to get to his power chair but cannot walk more then lets say from the house to the car. His left arm is losing strength fast and he is losing what extension he had. His right arm is amazingly strong. I know he is upset that I had been bounding off and riding horse and spending hours in the badlands and he cannot join me. I have quit riding pretty much and I really miss it. I would like to see if he could join me. He cannot straddle a horse as his hips do not have that mobility to let him sit mounted normally,and he would need back support as he cannot sit upright without support
      Does anyone know of anyone that can design and make a saddle that he could use? I tried holding him and going bareback but I lack the lower leg grip that I need for that or that would work for short jaunts. I really miss going out,but I feel guilty having a pleasure that he cannot participate in.
      My horse lies down on command so mounting is simple,he is basically a bomb proof horse and one can hunt while riding, used to go deer hunting on horseback with my brother before my fiance started getting upset about having to be left behind.
      I am hoping someone knows of someone, I would like to continue being able to ride, its the one time when I can go freely where I used to be able to go using the horses legs because I cannot use my own.
      thanks all!
      and thanks for letting me post!
      zhinka
    • whopinwheels
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2010
        I'd be interested in learning about this too! A few of my friends keep talking about wanting to try out horseback riding, and I think it'd be cool to find a way to make it work. My physical abilities are fairly similar to your fiance's in that my hips don't open enough to straddle a horse and I need support to sit up, but my balance is good enough to stand and walk short distances around my apartment and at the office. I think it has something to do with my extensor muscles being pretty strong, but the other muscles being weaker.

        I wonder if its possible to put some type of angled wedge thing on the seat part a saddle? I've found if my hips are angled forward (imagine half sit/standing on a low wall or bench)I can sit unaided. Plus being a little elevated from the saddle might make needing to fully straddle the horse unnecessary.
        --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "zhinka aka otter_woman" <otter_woman@...> wrote:

        > I have been lurking for about a month now. I wanted to make sure that family members were really welcome to ask questions. I am in a spinal injury group and some of the members there get real upset when outsiders dare to pose a question,but it seems super friendly in here.
        >
        > OK bit of backround, I have a spinal injury that I am doing well with, lucked out and is pretty mobile most of the time,no pain no gain type of thing,but thats why they created pain meds. I cannot climb well and I try anyway and when I tire out I lose my legs again so I ride horse.
        > My fiance has AMC and he can stand and balance enough to get to his power chair but cannot walk more then lets say from the house to the car. His left arm is losing strength fast and he is losing what extension he had. His right arm is amazingly strong. I know he is upset that I had been bounding off and riding horse and spending hours in the badlands and he cannot join me. I have quit riding pretty much and I really miss it. I would like to see if he could join me. He cannot straddle a horse as his hips do not have that mobility to let him sit mounted normally,and he would need back support as he cannot sit upright without support
        > Does anyone know of anyone that can design and make a saddle that he could use? I tried holding him and going bareback but I lack the lower leg grip that I need for that or that would work for short jaunts. I really miss going out,but I feel guilty having a pleasure that he cannot participate in.
        > My horse lies down on command so mounting is simple,he is basically a bomb proof horse and one can hunt while riding, used to go deer hunting on horseback with my brother before my fiance started getting upset about having to be left behind.
        > I am hoping someone knows of someone, I would like to continue being able to ride, its the one time when I can go freely where I used to be able to go using the horses legs because I cannot use my own.
        > thanks all!
        > and thanks for letting me post!
        > zhinka

      • jingai
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
          I'm interested in this line of thought as well, but honestly, you'll either need the strength to do it or a lot of support a la a chair atop the horse if he can't support his own body with his legs. You'll probably have a hard time finding someone that makes such things for a living, but you might have some luck just asking some saddle makers if they can do a custom job for you.

          As a person with AMC who has tried very hard to do things he isn't supposed to do, there is no amount of manufacturing you can do that won't be totally awkward that will solve your fiance's problems entirely. He still needs to build up strength to do it or he will have trouble when/if things go wrong. To that end, you might try simply building muscle with a personal trainer and see how far he gets with that first. He might find that with some training, he doesn't need expensive custom gear. It takes time, though, so it all depends on how much patience he has.

          -Jonathan

          On Mar 12, 2010, at 2:48 PM, whopinwheels wrote:

> [...]
          > > Does anyone know of anyone that can design and make a saddle that he could use? I tried holding him and going bareback but I lack the lower leg grip that I need for that or that would work for short jaunts. I really miss going out,but I feel guilty having a pleasure that he cannot participate in.
          > > My horse lies down on command so mounting is simple,he is basically a bomb proof horse and one can hunt while riding, used to go deer hunting on horseback with my brother before my fiance started getting upset about having to be left behind.
          > > I am hoping someone knows of someone, I would like to continue being able to ride, its the one time when I can go freely where I used to be able to go using the horses legs because I cannot use my own.

        • shelovetosail
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2010
            There is a local organization here, Ride To Walk that my be able to help you find out the answer, if not they may be able to direct you in the correct direction. Here is a link to their page.

            http://www.ridetowalk.org/

            Best of luck,
            Kathleen
          • Allyson
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2010
              I would suggest looking in to saddles for paraplegic. I myself use a power chair 90% of the time and have very sever hip contractors and am unable to actually get into an upright position to stand do to the hips. however, i have been horse back riding at a theraputic riding center on and off for over 15 years now. when i go many months between ridding lessons it hurts like hell to straddel the horse but its so worth the pain for the adventure. also, it has been the fastest most effective way to gain range and strength in my muscles pretty much from the chest down (it takes every muscle i got to keep me from flying off the horse when trotting). I have so far only been able to use an ecestrain style saddle the western ones require you to have to use full range in hip abduction (spreed you knees all the way out to each side) which i have very limited amount of. I am and have been for years looking to find a saddle that simple has straps that can connect to
              the saddle around my upper thigh, of course you dont want to be strapt to a horse that is not well trained and could buck, rear up, or take off threw a heavily wooded area, that could cause sever bodily harm...lol

              Ally

> [...]

              > > Does anyone know of anyone that can design and make a saddle that he could use? I tried holding him and going bareback but I lack the lower leg grip that I need for that or that would work for short jaunts. I really miss going out,but I feel guilty having a pleasure that he cannot participate in.
              > > My horse lies down on command so mounting is simple,he is basically a bomb proof horse and one can hunt while riding, used to go deer hunting on horseback with my brother before my fiance started getting upset about having to be left behind.
              > > I am hoping someone knows of someone, I would like to continue being able to ride, its the one time when I can go freely where I used to be able to go using the horses legs because I cannot use my own.

            • Michelle
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2010
                Hey,

                I know Wintec do some pretty hi tech saddles. I'm not sure what countries they distribute to but I know they are here in australia.
                Good luck!
                Michelle