Handcycle resources (and skiing too!)

  • SteveP
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
      Hello Tracy Ann. sorry to take so long to reply. I've been a bit busy with both work and life.

      I have 2 great hand cycle resources to recomemnt

      Scott at Bike-on is disabled himself and has one of the premire handcycle stores and sites in the country. AND he is located in RI so you can get there and look at some of his stuff. The web site is http://bike-on.com . Don't be scared at the prices. Contact them and let them know what you can spend, and they will help you look for used ones which might work. Tell Scot I said 'Hi' when you contact them.

      Also. Northeast passage (http://www.nepassage.org/) is a great program run out of the U of NH in Durham. They have lots of good equipment (not just handcycles) that you can rent to learn how well it will work for you. They also run seasonal programs which feature the different sports the disabled can particiapte in.

      I just last week rented a cross country ski sled from them and went skiing with my wife, and brother and his wife. Hard work, but a fun time. Their 'learn to do' programs are fantastic. In the spring they will have a big gathering of handcycles so you can test and try and talk to people who do it. I am currently modifying my hand cycle with a conventional trike so my wife and I can hook them together and get a tandem. We hope to keep together more when cycling. If I get it all done before NE passage does their demo days I'll bring it up there to show off the idea.

      I have been trying mono-skiing as well (which is where we were over the weekend. There is a really good program at mount Sunapee in NH and also at mount Wachusett here in MA

      Check out www.abilityplus.org and http://www.nehsa.org/. The folks at NEHSA took some movies of my training and when I get the links I'll send them along.

      We really had a lot of fun.. I know I am getting better at it because they let me fall down all the time now. :-)

      So I am glad you are feeling better and interested in getting out there and getting active .. I hope this information has helped.

      Steve P