Re: [Adults AMC] Knee joints and aging...

  • Laura Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
      Hi Patty,

      Well, to give the Readers Digest version of my medical history, I had my first one in 1977, when I was only 27 years old. It was experimental and done at University of California at Irvine. That one fractured in 1985 and that hip replacement left me on forearm crutches and unable to bear weight on that leg. That began to fail, and in 1995 I had my third one done in Salt Lake City---That one was the only succcessful one and I began to 'forget' to use my cane or crutches and after much physical therapy, I was walking again with no pain. Last April, something 'popped' in my hip and, again, I was unable to weight bear. Went to orthopedic dr. and the trocanter plate that had been put in in 1996 had popped off the bolt. I basically truly had a screw loose. Sheesh! Anyway, Doc went in in June and removed a bunch of hardware--thought I would make wind chimes this time, my other two hips I turned into Christmas ornaments!!!! Now I am old--well, my birth certificate says I am 60 (Sheesh, when did that happen?) but my head and heart says I am closer to 32. I am married, have one son, and two beautiful twin boys for grandsons. So even tho the pain sometimes limits me now, and I do use a manual wheelchair for shopping (got to keep up our strength, right?) I really am blessed.

      I have also had numerous other ortho surgeries done at Shriners Hospital in Los Angeles. I currently live in Montana--(NOT the most accessable area to live in, but beautiful)- Hope that answers some of your questions and good luck!

      Laura

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2009
        I once had an Ortho Doctor try to do arthro-scopic knee surgery, he thought
        my cartalige in there needed to be trimmed to help alleviate the pain. But
        when he got inside my knee he could not tell heads or tales, he said my bone
        structure was the size of a child's, he said I would need to be seen by a Pediatric
        Orthopedist. Well I guess I'm pretty small, 4ft 8in tall. I've never tried that again.

        Tribbey