Knee joints and aging...

  • Laura Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
      Hi Adam,

      I have a milder form of AMC, and have severe arthritis in my left knee from overuse. After seeing several orthopedic physicians in my area, I was told that I was not a candidate for replacement due to the way I walk--or my 'gait.' My alignment is not normal (well, duh!) and therefore, the replacement, if successful, would only last 5 or 6 years at most. Not great odds, since I have already had 4 hip replacements done on the same hip!
      Hope that helps.
      Laura

    • Patty Clarke
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
        HI Laura, I too have had a hip replacement but I use a wheelchair, and
        transfer weight bearing so I am using my legs hips etc. My hip replacement
        is iffy in terms of its success. My muscle strength has not come back
        completely, the pain is better but my back, scoliosis, has increased in
        curvature, almost like I am curving around the joint.my hip doctor thinks I
        am nuts. But the other hip is now degenerating really fast, and my spine
        doc thinks it is the hip that has not been done yet the problem with my
        sitting position getting worse because he degeneration is causing my to
        overcompensate due to the stiffness in the hip.

        Why did you have 4 hip replacements?

        Patty.

        I have a milder form of AMC, and have severe arthritis in my left knee from
        overuse. After seeing several orthopedic physicians in my area, I was told
        that I was not a candidate for replacement due to the way I walk--or my
        'gait.' My alignment is not normal (well, duh!) and therefore, the
        replacement, if successful, would only last 5 or 6 years at most. Not great
        odds, since I have already had 4 hip replacements done on the same hip!
        Hope that helps.
        Laura

      • Katieostar or just Katie
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
          I cannot speak personally about Gilette but I have heard NOTHING but good things about them. I am in MN and while I do not have AMC, I have two children just home from Ukraine. They both have AMC. We have not yet begun treatments so we could work on bonding and attachment. Everyone we speak to says Gilette is the best. But we are starting with Shriners.
        • Laura Anderson
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
            Hi Patty,

            Well, to give the Readers Digest version of my medical history, I had my first one in 1977, when I was only 27 years old. It was experimental and done at University of California at Irvine. That one fractured in 1985 and that hip replacement left me on forearm crutches and unable to bear weight on that leg. That began to fail, and in 1995 I had my third one done in Salt Lake City---That one was the only succcessful one and I began to 'forget' to use my cane or crutches and after much physical therapy, I was walking again with no pain. Last April, something 'popped' in my hip and, again, I was unable to weight bear. Went to orthopedic dr. and the trocanter plate that had been put in in 1996 had popped off the bolt. I basically truly had a screw loose. Sheesh! Anyway, Doc went in in June and removed a bunch of hardware--thought I would make wind chimes this time, my other two hips I turned into Christmas ornaments!!!! Now I am old--well, my birth certificate says I am 60 (Sheesh, when did that happen?) but my head and heart says I am closer to 32. I am married, have one son, and two beautiful twin boys for grandsons. So even tho the pain sometimes limits me now, and I do use a manual wheelchair for shopping (got to keep up our strength, right?) I really am blessed.

            I have also had numerous other ortho surgeries done at Shriners Hospital in Los Angeles. I currently live in Montana--(NOT the most accessable area to live in, but beautiful)- Hope that answers some of your questions and good luck!

            Laura

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 12, 2009
              I once had an Ortho Doctor try to do arthro-scopic knee surgery, he thought
              my cartalige in there needed to be trimmed to help alleviate the pain. But
              when he got inside my knee he could not tell heads or tales, he said my bone
              structure was the size of a child's, he said I would need to be seen by a Pediatric
              Orthopedist. Well I guess I'm pretty small, 4ft 8in tall. I've never tried that again.

              Tribbey