Hip/Knee Pain as an Adult

  • Kristen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2009
      My name is Kristen. I have AMC (along with congenital muscular dystrophy), and I am 30 years-old. Recently, I have developed pain in my right knee and hip. After speaking to a doctor, he is suggesting a steoroid shot to buy time for further surgery. According to the x-rays, the hip has rotated in the socket, which is supposedly causing the pain. Has anyone else experienced this problem around this age? What treatment did you pursue, and was it beneficial?

      Thanks,

      Kristen
    • Patty Clarke
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2009
        HI there, I am 49 and have AMC. I had a total hip replacement last year and
        it has resolved some pain but caused many other problems. I have scoliosis
        as well and since the hip replacement, my curvature has gotten worse and I
        have been losing feeling in my buttocks down my legs and in my ankles and
        feet. This has been going on for many years very slowly but since the hip
        replacement the numbness has gotten much worse.

        I did meet someone at the rehab centre I went to after the surgery who also
        had AMC and had his second hip replacement and he has had great results. He
        does walk where as I do not so I think not being ambulatory and having hip
        replacement does not work!!

        Everyone is so different with AMC and how healing goes varies. I regret
        having it done and I will not get the other one done which is not as bad as
        the first one. The only thing really that came out of this, once the
        surgeon went in he did say it was worse than what the x-ray showed so
        eventually my hip would have dislocated or the femur would have broken.so
        that is how I rationalize having it done..

        The pain was worse than could have imagined, took me forever to get pain
        under control and then I went home after 3 and a half months at rehab and
        got CDIF..the horrible intestinal infection caused by antibiotics in the
        hospital because I ended up have a few bladder infections, so had to go on
        antibiotics, I was back in the hospital for a month and that was 6 months
        ago and I am still struggling with trying to get my weight back ( I lost 24
        lbs, so was down to 87 lbs from 111 lbs before the surgery). I can really
        only work part time so far anyways and pretty much have no stamina.

        It is such a crap shoot to get surgery at an older age. I honestly thought,
        that so many people get hip replacements much older so that I would sail
        through!! I only had surgeries when I was a teen ager (spine fusions) and
        then one when I was a child to release my heel cord tendons. SO I was very
        lucky as a child with AMC having so few surgeries compared to so many who
        have gone through so much. So I thought I would be fine....not so much!!!

        Patty.