Lungs

  • Tracy
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2008
      Hello Everyone!

      This is Tracy, I have a question for other AMC'ers... I developed
      asthma a few years ago i would say about 10 years or so... well
      recently i was having a hard time breathing and shortness of breath
      when i got up to walk and so forth... i went to the er for a breathing
      treatment but didnt seem to help much went to the family dr and she
      sent me to asthma dr. he put me in the hospital to get rid of the
      weezing and such and was sent home on oxygen... now i have had a
      pulmonary test done and that showed my lung capacity at 38% so has
      anyone else experienced this???? and if so can someone please explain
      their experience?

      Tracy
    • rocks0508
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2008
        I currently have less than 18% lung capacity and am only using oxygen
        at night. One thing I've learned is that if I keep my weight down, a
        little on the skinny side, I can manage without the oxgyen. I also have
        scoliosis and that's my problem. The lungs don't have enough room to
        expand. It isn't asthma and most asthma medicines don't work. We call
        it restrictive lung disease. I am currenly 4'10" and weigh around 78
        pounds. If I get above 80, I breathe harder. You also need to be
        careful with anesthesia. Your lungs might not work good enough to expel
        the medicine.
      • rocks0508