equipment funding

  • s.w.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2008
      hi,
      i'm sort of new to posting to group boards, so please forgive me if
      this question has already been addressed.

      i have amc, and use a specialized power chair with a seat elevator for
      daily living. i do have medicaid, but was told it won't pay to
      replace such a specialized chair, which is now old.

      i've been trying to research whether there are grants out there for
      wheelchairs, but i'm having serious trouble finding any info. i've
      tried independent living centers, march of dimes and lists of
      government grants.

      if anyone knows of other places to try, i would really be grateul for
      your advice.

      thanks very much!
    • becky deaver
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
        Sorry I can't help you directly but I suggest you contact your local library's reference department and ask them to help you.  I'm sure they will be able to come up with some suggestions for where to look.
        Good luck!
        Becky

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
          hey becky have you tried independent wheelchair services exp,united rehab in tx  but go to someone like that they helped me get a new one hope this helps

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
            Have you tried appealing the medicaid denial? I know it isn't common
            but if you can get a healthcare professional to give detailed and
            specific reasons why you need the seat lifter, and how it would be
            cost effective to do so, they may agree. It is important to include
            areas where the seat lifter makes it so medicaid does not have to pay
            for support personnel to do the same activity without the lifter. If
            you can, video the lifter in use and what happens if you don't have
            the lifter. (Pictues are worth so much as it makes you more than a
            piece of paper but rather a functioning human with special needs.)
            Explain the cost of the additional part in terms of medical dollars
            spent for support to do the activities with human support.

            If the seat lifter makes you more employable, make sure they know
            it. If you can't be employed because your chair isn't working or it
            isn't correct, it will ultimately cost much more than it would to
            approve the upcharged parts and they should know that too.

            If they are unwilling to pay for the adaptations, get them to agree
            to pay for portions of that specific chair so you only have to find
            find funding for parts of the chair rather than all of the chair.
            Medicaid is tough as it hold vendors to a higher standard. The
            vendor can't balance bill you for a chair that they agreed to pay for
            so the vendor is expected to take the hit on what is denied. If you
            can get it in writing from medicaid that they will pay for "x, y, and
            z", then maybe you can get "a, b, and c" paid by someone else. Do not
            look for that agreement until you have exhausted the first line of
            action which is appeal with ammunition as defined above.

            Hope this helps you and anyone else in this same quandry. Strong
            letter writing puctuated with pictures/ videos, really makes a
            difference when appealing the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd time.
          • mocha
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
              medicaid will replace motorized chairs every 7 years.
              Medicaid will replace batteries, and other parts as long along the
              way, per doctors orders.
              The only way they will replace sooner is if the chair is utterly
              irreparable.
              With that you also need a well written document from your doctor/
              therapist supporting this need.
              If you need customization, your doctor absolutely MUST include that
              in the paperwork with specific reasons.
              It is a lot of paperwork and time consuming, but in the end if that is
              what you need it is worth it.
              The key is to stay on the ball with the distributor as they are the
              ones dealing with medicaid.
              Also, make sure the distributor adhere's to all the customizations
              your doctor has written up for you.

              Is this your first replacement you are getting??
              When was the last time medicaid paid for repairs on your chair?

              good luck
              mocha

              On Sep 12, 2008, at 8:58 PM, s.w. wrote:

              > hi,
              > i'm sort of new to posting to group boards, so please forgive me if
              > this question has already been addressed.
              >
              > i have amc, and use a specialized power chair with a seat elevator for
              > daily living. i do have medicaid, but was told it won't pay to
              > replace such a specialized chair, which is now old.
              >
              > i've been trying to research whether there are grants out there for
              > wheelchairs, but i'm having serious trouble finding any info. i've
              > tried independent living centers, march of dimes and lists of
              > government grants.
              >
              > if anyone knows of other places to try, i would really be grateul for
              > your advice.
              >
              > thanks very much!

            • scarlet watts
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14, 2008
                these are great suggestions, everyone. thanks so much!

              • Allyson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2008
                  Hi.

                  I have medicare medicaid and you were told right they will not pay over 4 grand for a elec. w/chair. I'm not sure about you but I also have the elevate on mine and ya it ran around 17 grand. I got mine covered through state/government rehabilitation services. Since you are using gov health care coverage you already meet the intial need for disability aides required to get aide for assistive equipment, if you are in school or are actively pursuing employment/employeed then you qualify and rehab services will cover all equipment needed to be a productive member of society.

                  Ally

                  "Here I sit wondering what everyone wonders. The three questions that
                  no one seems to know how to answer. 3 top UNANSWERED questions of the
                  Universe are:

                  1. Why am I here?

                  2. What is my purpose?

                  3. What is that smell?"