Re: getting older

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2008
      Tribbey, I didnt know we lived so close(I am in Tacoma), I like you
      have gotten slower and am looking at the soon approach of living in a
      wheelchair(I will turn 52 in december) only for me, I have never had
      any assistance, as in a caregiver or a couple of hand tools that I
      made. when I was in high school I walked everywhere, a typical day I
      walked about 10 miles, now 30-40 feet is too far. Over the last 5
      years I have gotten into more pain, not just specific places, but all
      over. Just getting out of bed takes more energy and causes more pain
      than moving around does. I was also diagnosed with degeneritive
      knees and hips and told that the hips were going to be easy to fix,
      but because of the way I walk( specifically getting up from sitting
      psition) my knees were probably going to not be done, that will put
      me almost full time in a chair. I have had people tell me that
      fighting this is childish, and not smart, but, my arms are fixed at
      90 degrees, so I have a reach of about 10 inches, that means when I
      sit down I wont be able to reach much of anything, and be able to do
      less for myself. up until about 4 years ago I never took more than
      asprin ot motrin for pain, I now an taking percocet and trazadone on
      a regular basis, just to function. I have spent the last 22 years
      working in the computer industry as a contractor, so I have no
      retirement to look at and my wife has never worked. So i will have
      to deal with the surgeries and continue to work. still havent
      figured that out yet-as to how, but I will. ok I have rambled on
      enough.

      David

      --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "Tribbey" <catpower@...> wrote:

      > I'm happy to say I've reached the age of 51 yrs old, and it wasn't
      > all that easy, kind of like being on a roller coaster, with ups and
      > downs. But now it's time I preserve myself, so I too have resorted
      > to using an electric wheelchair when I'm outside of my home. I
      used
      > to be a "get up and go" kind of gal, but not longer have the
      stamina
      > for going or for doing much of anything now days. For exercise I
      > walk around the house or go swimming.
      > I'm grateful I've been able to live a fairly normal life, like
      being
      > married 32 years, having a 27 yr old daughter and a 5 yr old
      grandson
      > I was able to work full time for 22 yrs for the US Navy as a
      > Purchasing Agent, and all with not having any use of my hands, yes
      > I'm one of those who is gifted with being able to use my mouth as
      my
      > hands. So now I can sit back and enjoy my retirement years,
      because
      > I'm finished proving to my family, friends and the world that I'm a
      > worthwhile human being having been born with AMC.
      >
      > Tribbey, AMC Lady in Sequim Washington
      >

      > --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy" <mountiangirl32@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I can relate to this thread big time, when i was in highschool
      and
      > > younger i was down to walking with one cane in school and getting
      > > around with my canes real well and was able to walk long
      distances
      > > and everything... since then i have had hip replacement surgeries
      > and
      > > an ankle fused... and i am using a power wheelchair to get
      around,
      > > for me to be independant and to do some things i need my
      > wheelchair
      > > to get around... I have friends though that want me to start
      > walking
      > > the old saying "use it or lose it" part of that be true but what
      > if
      > > you accepted the fact your getting weeker and its harder to get
      up
      > > and walk around and that... my question is HOW DO YOU TELL
      SOMEONE