Re: getting older

  • Tribbey
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17 10:40 PM
      I'm happy to say I've reached the age of 51 yrs old, and it wasn't
      all that easy, kind of like being on a roller coaster, with ups and
      downs. But now it's time I preserve myself, so I too have resorted
      to using an electric wheelchair when I'm outside of my home. I used
      to be a "get up and go" kind of gal, but not longer have the stamina
      for going or for doing much of anything now days. For exercise I
      walk around the house or go swimming.
      I'm grateful I've been able to live a fairly normal life, like being
      married 32 years, having a 27 yr old daughter and a 5 yr old grandson
      I was able to work full time for 22 yrs for the US Navy as a
      Purchasing Agent, and all with not having any use of my hands, yes
      I'm one of those who is gifted with being able to use my mouth as my
      hands. So now I can sit back and enjoy my retirement years, because
      I'm finished proving to my family, friends and the world that I'm a
      worthwhile human being having been born with AMC.

      Tribbey, AMC Lady in Sequim Washington

      --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy" <mountiangirl32@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I can relate to this thread big time, when i was in highschool and
      > younger i was down to walking with one cane in school and getting
      > around with my canes real well and was able to walk long distances
      > and everything... since then i have had hip replacement surgeries
      and
      > an ankle fused... and i am using a power wheelchair to get around,
      > for me to be independant and to do some things i need my
      wheelchair
      > to get around... I have friends though that want me to start
      walking
      > the old saying "use it or lose it" part of that be true but what
      if
      > you accepted the fact your getting weeker and its harder to get up
      > and walk around and that... my question is HOW DO YOU TELL SOMEONE
      > THAT LOVES AND CARES ABOUT YOU, THAT THE WALKING IS GETTING TOO
      MUCH,
      > AND USING MY WHEELCHAIR IS MY PREFERENCE TO GET AROUND.... I dont
      > feel like i am giving up... I feel as though I should have the
      right
      > to choose now how I want to get around... at the same time I dont
      > want to lose my mobility completely and thank god i havent... so
      for
      > my exercise i go for a walk in the hallway here and there...
      >
      > Tracy
      >

      > --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, Ilyce Treger <ictreger@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, I was the same way too. When I was younger I had so much
      > engery and I was able to do whatever I wanted. Now I'm getting
      older,
      > I can tell that I do have my moments where I feel so weak and feel
      > like I don't want to do anything.
      > > Other times I feel like I have so much engery to give, but
      reality
      > sets in and I know later down the road I will be getting weaker
      and I
      > will be also be getting a scooter to make things easier for
      myself.
      > > The best exercise I can do is swimming and walking. I try to go
      > swimming alot during the summertime and walking. After a while I
      do
      > get tired though. I was wondering has any of you felt the same
      way?
      > > Ilyce

    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18 1:52 PM
        Tribbey, I didnt know we lived so close(I am in Tacoma), I like you
        have gotten slower and am looking at the soon approach of living in a
        wheelchair(I will turn 52 in december) only for me, I have never had
        any assistance, as in a caregiver or a couple of hand tools that I
        made. when I was in high school I walked everywhere, a typical day I
        walked about 10 miles, now 30-40 feet is too far. Over the last 5
        years I have gotten into more pain, not just specific places, but all
        over. Just getting out of bed takes more energy and causes more pain
        than moving around does. I was also diagnosed with degeneritive
        knees and hips and told that the hips were going to be easy to fix,
        but because of the way I walk( specifically getting up from sitting
        psition) my knees were probably going to not be done, that will put
        me almost full time in a chair. I have had people tell me that
        fighting this is childish, and not smart, but, my arms are fixed at
        90 degrees, so I have a reach of about 10 inches, that means when I
        sit down I wont be able to reach much of anything, and be able to do
        less for myself. up until about 4 years ago I never took more than
        asprin ot motrin for pain, I now an taking percocet and trazadone on
        a regular basis, just to function. I have spent the last 22 years
        working in the computer industry as a contractor, so I have no
        retirement to look at and my wife has never worked. So i will have
        to deal with the surgeries and continue to work. still havent
        figured that out yet-as to how, but I will. ok I have rambled on
        enough.

        David