Re: Passing on AMC

  • katebythesea2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6 1:50 PM
      Hi Debbie,

      I'm 52 have all four limbs affected. No real manual dexterity in
      either hand, bi-lateral club feet and a dislocated L hip. I went for
      genetic counseling at Stanford University Hospital in 1979 when I was
      considering having a baby. At that time the Drs. could not provide an
      absolute answer for me and my husband. Genetic testing has evolved so
      much since then. Please check with your local University Medical
      center, Easter Seals or March of Dimes for a referral. The cost of
      all the testing I received was paid for by a local non-profit agency.

      My daughter Colleen was born in 1981 without any signs of AMC. I did
      have to have a C-Section, but that's pretty common these days as well.

      She and are are very close and she now has a career in health care,
      physical therapy. She says having a mom with AMC gave her a sense of
      empathy and understanding she never would have gained had she not had
      me as her mom. With every cloud, there is a silver lining.

      I work full time as a real estate agent in my town of Lincoln, CA.

      I wish your daughter the best of everything in her journey.

      Smiles,
      Kathleen

      --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "debbielanderbaker"
      <debbielanderbaker@...> wrote:

      > My daughter is 24, born w/AMC. She is getting married this May.
      > Future plans down the road are having children. I would like some
      > advice or direction for her. I wish it were cut and dry about
      > genetics. Honestly the doctors we have delt with even these past
      few
      > years, don't know about AMC. Any and all advice welcomed!
      >
      > Thank You
      >
      > Debbie

    • Neal Goldsmith