hello :)

  • lea_pettit
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2008
      hi everyone! i just found this group.. my name is Lea and i was born
      with AMC (lower extremities). i am 24 years old & from Hawai'i. I'm
      married & am an anthropology student..

      not sure what else to say here! i live a pretty normal life. i use
      leg braces to get around and a wheelchair to play sports (wheelchair
      basketball) and i'm also on a disabled canoe paddling team.

      i dunno if it's just me but sometimes i get these sudden bursts of
      depression.. maybe every few months. i think it's just me feeling
      sorry for myself.. like why, out of EVERYBODY, was I born with this
      disability? i get jealous of people who can walk and hold hands with
      their husbands, people who can walk and carry things at the same time.
      people who can run. i know i shouldn't feel this way because i am
      blessed in my own right. i have a wonderful family & awesome friends
      who don't see my crutches or disability when they see me.

      anyway, i hope to get to know some of you and share experiences with
      AMC. :)
    • morne vanWyk
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2008
        Hi Lea,

        Welcome!!! My name is Morne, and I'm 33 years old from South-Africa, and I'm an intern psychologist. Yep, like yourself I live with AMC but mildly so....... and live a 'normal' life. I have no movement problems and walk without walking aids. However I have problems using my hands propperly- I cannot close them.......or lift my arms very high....... but all in all, I'll say I'm okay.....

        Haven't participated sports since high school- used to play football (or soccer as you guys refer to it in the US).

        Are u speaking to someone about your about your depression? Hope so.....

        Nice meeting you and hope to hear from you again.........

        Sincerely,
        Morne

        lea_pettit <lea_pettit@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Brenda
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2008
          Hi Lea, Welcome to the group!!! I think it's soooo cool that you
          participate in BB and canoe. I think it is normal to feel frustrated
          at times. I know I have definately had my moments... but it sounds
          like you have created an awesome life for yourself.

          Anyway, I'm 31 years-old, living Utah. Also have AMC. Im jealous of
          you right now in beautiful Hawai'i! If you'd like to chat sometime
          my email and Yahoo messenger ID is beekayn@.... I'd love to
          hear from you!!

          Brenda

          --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "lea_pettit" <lea_pettit@...>