Fw: Re: Advice on legs fixed straigtht and Jaw

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2007
      I think we got off track here a bit. First why does the doctor want to do the surgery. What benefits would the surgery have to your child? Usually a doctor does not do surgery for appearance sake only. When you know the benefits of the surgery, then you can way the disadvantages and decide to do it or not. Get a second opinion from a doctor.
      As far as doing an operation for aesthetics or not- no matter what we do we all get stared at by non-disabled. It does not matter if I use my crutches or chair, somebody stares. You just grow a set of blinders and go on with your life. Sometime if I'm in a pissy mode, my "Marine Attitude" soars and I ask if they have a problem.
      I don't were dresses because I have so many scars on my legs and they are very thin. I always were pants. I find they are more comfortable and obscure my legs.
      As far as my jaw goes, I have some problems. My jaw is shorter on one side and it pushes on my ear canal and is not level. I also have a high palate. I can not whistle or give one of those teeth showing smiles. I opted not to have jaw surgery because I thought I would have more trouble eating. I recently had to have the last of my teeth removed due gum disease and and all the problems of enamel loss and decay that comes with being an old timer with AMC. Back in the 40's and 50's they did not know how all the drugs effected our teeth. The dentist told me he was glad I did not have the surgery because it would of made it a bear to remove the teeth.

      Denise
      Dogs are not our whole life,
      But they make our lives whole.

    • Brenda
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2007
        Hi Denise. Thank you! I am so glad I am not the only
        one. I totally relate to keeping my legs covered. I
        do wear skirts but only if they reach my feet
        (practically). I think I have the high palate thing
        too; I think I heard it called a cathedral palate or
        something ??? I think people will look, but I think I
        would be doing it for myself only.

        Anyway, sorry for changing the subject. I am pretty
        new to the group and it is really exciting to me to
        hear from people with similar challenges.

        http://mail.yahoo.com