Re: [Adults AMC] new

  • janecrisol
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hey Betty,
      Thanks for your response. Yeah for now I'm able to carry him.. but
      let me tell you I can tell every year he is definitely getting
      heavier. So... you were able to get outside assistance for living on
      your own... Hmmmm... that's really interesting.. I've never even
      thought that would be a possibility for him since he is so dependent
      on us for care. I will ask his therapy unit for any info that they
      may have. What does COP and CIPP stand for? Can I ask what was your
      major in college and what do you do now for a living? I'm guessing my
      son is not a mild case since he cannot walk and he has very minimal
      use of his hands and arms. He basically writes using a pen or pencil
      in his mouth. RJ is very smart and he would like to be a corporate
      lawyer. His first choice is USC, UCLA, Chapman University, ...
      Although now I've heard from a few people that a private setting may
      not be the best choice since they wouldn't offer as much support.
      I'm definitely going to be looking more into this.

      thanks again for all your input.
      Jane

      - In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "Betty Hicks" <missbetty37@...>
      wrote:

      > Jane,
      >
      > That happens to be my middle name. Anyways, I'm 42 and I had to
      and still
      > do, need help with my personal care as a kid and although I weighed
      pretty
      > light, 75lbs. There were times when it felt like I weighed a ton
      of bricks
      > to my mom on some days. Has your son made any comments about
      moving out on
      > his own, that way he would have people come in and help him. Be
      much easier
      > for you as you get older and him as he gets older and no matter
      what, the
      > weight creeps up on him.
      >
      > When I turned 18 I got my own apt. and I hired people to come in to
      help me,
      > granted I didn't need to be fed but I did need help with everything
      else.
      > Bathing, dressing, housecleaning, etc. I had a person living with
      me
      > besides another person coming in to help me.
      >
      > Not sure how California does this, but here in Wisconsin each
      county has
      > COP/CIPP programs that a person signs up for to get funding to pay
      for
      > attendants. Now I'm sure there are waiting lists, always seems to
      be when
      > you need something. There was one when I signed up for it and that
      was back
      > in 1982, wow, just realized that was 25 years ago. Now I feel
      old. Lol.
      > Anyways, the wait was short for me, mainly because I kept calling
      > practically every week to see where my name was.
      >
      > For college, I never really used the services that they have now,
      mainly
      > because I am able to write myself, at that time, the only services
      they
      > offered was writers for people that needed help with their exams,
      otherwise
      > they would make the student find a note taker themselves. I'm sure
      it's
      > totally different now than when I went to college. Just a
      question, or a
      > thought, is RJ thinking of going to a major university or a
      community
      > college? The treatment is different between the two I think. I
      went to
      > community college and it was easier.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Betty
      >

      > --
      3/26/2007
      > 2:31 PM

    • janecrisol
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hi Casey
        I will definitely have my son start looking into specifically what
        each University can provide for him. He is basically very dependent
        and his limbs are all affected...so I'm starting to look into other
        support groups such as quadraplegic groups.

        Do you use Dragon Dictate regularly? Is is pretty simple to use? RJ
        should be getting a new laptop soon which was provided by the school
        district. Let me know more about that software.

        thanks
        jane

        --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, Casey Jones <texascowgirl2426@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Jane,
        >
        > When I went to college a few years ago there were ample services
        for the disabled. You will need to call the college he wants to go to
        and set up a meeting with disability services counselor. Some of the
        services I know were offered when I was in school are a note
        taker/scribe, tape recorders were allowed, extra time was alotted for
        tests and you could probably get a personal care assistant. His best
        bet is to go to a community college or a university that has a
        nursing dept. You can often find a nursing student willing to do the
        job for minimal money.

        > While I was in school I nearly had an accident because I had to
        go to the restroom very bad and none of my friends were around.
        Luckily a classmate of mine saw me in distress and offered
        assistance since she was a nursing student.

        > There are options out there for your son. If he can use the
        computer with assistive devices such as Dragon Dictate or other
        verbal command software then he could possibly try an online college.
        Many universities are offering their same programs online.

        > Hope this helps some and good luck. Tell him that he will have
        every opportunity to go to college should he want to go!

        > Casey
        > http://www.cljdesign.com
        >
        > jane jaquias-ross <janecrisol@...>
        wrote: Hi I'm new to the group. I'm
        a mother of a 15 year old boy (RJ) and we live in Long Beach. RJ is
        using an electric chair and he has very minimal movement in his arms
        and fingers, so I have to feed him and do his personal hygeine and
        care. Is there someone out there who was very dependent just like my
        son? And if so then tell me what usually happens when someone like
        him gets too heavy for me to carry... what will I do?

        > Also, My son is in the 10th grade now and he has an aide with
        him at school to help him out. He helps take notes, gets the books
        out of his backpack, feeds him etc.... I was wondering if anyone out
        there is going through college right now and if so what type of
        assistance do they receive from the disabilities assistance centers
        on campus.

        > thanks,
        > I'm really excited about this support group and I'm looking
        forward to getting some good information from everyone.

        > Jane

        > Casey Leeann Jones
        > Independent Beauty Consultant
        > Cell: (713) 516-0171
        > Home: (281) 448-2426
        > caseybelle@...
        > www.marykay.com/caseybelle

      • janecrisol
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
          Hi Traci,
          I'm confused.. your email started out saying out in Wisconsin but in
          the end you signed off saying Traci in Centrail California.. Are you
          in California? if so what part? And you said .. it's called In home
          support services? Do you have a number that I can call for that? How
          did you hear about it? I'm so surprise that a therapist hasn't told
          me about anything like that.

          thanks---

          In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, TUCMUM@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 4/2/2007 9:48:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          > missbetty37@... writes:
          >
          > Not sure how California does this, but here in Wisconsin each
          county has
          > COP/CIPP programs that a person signs up for to get funding to
          pay for
          > attendants. Now I’m sure there are waiting lists, always seems
          to be when
          > you need something. There was one when I signed up for it and
          that was back
          > in 1982, wow, just realized that was 25 years ago. Now I feel
          old. Lol.
          > Anyways, the wait was short for me, mainly because I kept calling
          > practically every week to see where my name was.
          >

          > In Ca. there is a program that is called IHSS (In Home Support
          Services) I

        • TUCMUM@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
            I started my email out by adding to what Betty had said my Highlighting
            what Betty had already said. Yes I am in Ca. I live in Tulare near Fresno.
            Traci

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
              Sorry I sent to soon. Each county had a different number, I will call and
              see if they can give me the one for what is it Long Beach? Or maybe I will be
              able to look it up on line?
              Traci

            • Kenzie Harrison
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
                Hi Jane,
                I'm Kenzie I am 18 and I am going to graduate high shool in May. I had an aide at school and use a scooter/electric chair.I am not quite as dependent as your son because I am mainly affected in my neck because I can't sit upright and hold my head up. I guess your son and I do have some things in common. My mom also still has to wash my hair for me because I am unable to hold my arms up high enough to reach the top of my head. My mom tells me that I will be able to do it myself because god will help me. It always reassures me however when I couldn't do something the normal I always find an alternative.
                I am also taking two college classes and have found that the disability service office is very helpful they helped me find a table that I could pull my scooter up to that was low enough for my height.
                My mom also used to carry me up until I was in Jr. High and the only reason she stopped then is because she had back problems. I hope this helps.
                Kenzie in IL

[...]

              • Allyson
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
                  I didn't need any personal care help in school, but i
                  did start actually at a non public college. I was very
                  nicce for me at the time because it was small,
                  actually only one building to get around. I actually
                  got more assistence in this college then i did in the
                  public college i graduated from. At the private
                  college i had much more relyable note takers. only
                  stayed in private college for a year, then move out
                  and went away to college (needed a little freedom
                  being middle child in a family of 5 kids). Ended up at
                  the local public college after i ran out of money.
                  Most state have some sort of rehab services, if your
                  son picks a private college rehab services will work
                  with the college or hire private help for your son.
                  There goal is to get you son through any type of
                  training needed and assist in him being able to
                  support and work in society.

                  I got hooked up with rehab services when i was about
                  16 years old, however due to some learning issues and
                  not scoreing high on my ACT they did not help me pay
                  for school so i work summers, finally Graduated in
                  december and they are helping fund my 1st car yay,
                  which trust me i'd happly pay for college over the
                  insane cost of the crap, i mean equipment in my car.

                  Ally

                  Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                  in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
                • Allyson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 2, 2007
                    Actually its very very easy to use and 1000% improved.
                    I've been working with people train them in the use of
                    this software for about 6 years now, which is one way
                    i paid for school. If he gets it and has any trouble
                    feel free to email me.

                    allycat70001@...

                  • tracey_schalk
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                      Hi Jane,

                      Welcome to the group! I'm 19 and I've been in college for 1 1/2 years and disability
                      services is amazing in comparison to the IEP process in high school. I go to a public
                      univeristy but I don't think that private colleges are allowed to not be ADA accesible when
                      they build new buildings. I know a girl at Harvard who is a paraplegic and they had to
                      provide an accessible dorm room which required reconstruction. Any type of
                      accomodations your son is getting at the high school level he should be able to get at the
                      college level. Word of advice when he is a senior, have the school do another multifactored
                      evaluation and write a whole new IEP. I had another MFE done my senior year and from
                      what I've heard if you don't and the college wants a more current one you can be charged
                      for it to be carried out but they don't charge for accomodations or anything. Its really
                      rather simple to get the accomodations just take his IEP and MFE into the office of
                      disability services before he starts classes and they'll make sure he gets what he needs to
                      be educationally successful. If your son will need personal Care attendants while there, get
                      involved with your local department of vocational rehab when he is a junior in high school.
                      They'll usually pay for alot including PCA's. I'm currently getting them to pay for my living
                      expenses because the communte to my university is considered a physical strain on my
                      body because I'd have to commute 100 miles a day.

                      Take Care,

                      Tracey

                      --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, jane jaquias-ross <janecrisol@...> wrote:

                      > Hi I'm new to the group. I'm a mother of a 15 year old boy (RJ) and we live in Long
                      Beach. RJ is using an electric chair and he has very minimal movement in his arms and
                      fingers, so I have to feed him and do his personal hygeine and care. Is there someone out
                      there who was very dependent just like my son? And if so then tell me what usually
                      happens when someone like him gets too heavy for me to carry... what will I do?

                      > Also, My son is in the 10th grade now and he has an aide with him at school to help
                      him out. He helps take notes, gets the books out of his backpack, feeds him etc.... I was
                      wondering if anyone out there is going through college right now and if so what type of
                      assistance do they receive from the disabilities assistance centers on campus.

                      > thanks,
                      > I'm really excited about this support group and I'm looking forward to getting some
                      good information from everyone.

                      > Jane

                    • janecrisol
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 3, 2007
                        Hi Tracey
                        So what is a MFE? So basically towards the end of his senior year we
                        should do like a closing IEP huh? Usually we do it a month or two
                        after school begins. And what are PCA's ? And you said get involved
                        when he's a junior? Why's that? Thanks for all your great info. I'm
                        definitely taking notes for future reference.
                        ---

                        In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "tracey_schalk" <tracey_schalk@...>
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        movement in his arms and
                        > fingers, so I have to feed him and do his personal hygeine and
                        care. Is there someone out
                        > there who was very dependent just like my son? And if so then tell
                        me what usually
                        > happens when someone like him gets too heavy for me to carry...
                        what will I do?

                        > > Also, My son is in the 10th grade now and he has an aide with
                        him at school to help
                        > him out. He helps take notes, gets the books out of his backpack,
                        feeds him etc.... I was
                        > wondering if anyone out there is going through college right now
                        and if so what type of
                        > assistance do they receive from the disabilities assistance centers
                        on campus.

                        > > thanks,
                        > > I'm really excited about this support group and I'm looking

                      • Betty Hicks
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 4, 2007
                          Jane,

                          I went to school for Human Services, of course the first day of class the
                          teacher said you guys are entering the worst profession if you are trying to
                          find a job in this field. Then she went on to say that because this town,
                          Madison, WI is a University town, most employers in Madison will not look at
                          anyone with an Associate�s Degree, they want employees with Bachelors or
                          higher, and then she said you can go on to the University after 2 years here
                          but you will pretty much have to start over at the freshman level because
                          none of our classes that we require for Human Services will not transfer.
                          Now, I�m not sure if that was her way to see who would actually drop out
                          because only 1 did, the rest of us stayed. But she was right about not
                          being able to find a job here in Madison because I didn�t get one, the jobs
                          were out of town. So I�m not doing what I went to school for, I sometimes
                          use it on my friends when they have problems. I do temp work at a
                          Independent Living Center, I am a Receptionist when the regular one is on
                          vacation. Gives me some extra cash. Every month I get SSI and that I use
                          to pay bills and all.

                          Everyone here was suggesting getting in touch with the Division of
                          Vocational Rehab, I don�t agree with that. I went to them before I
                          graduated High school which was back in 1984 so things may have gotten much
                          better since then, but the way you are describing your son, he is worse off
                          than me, no offense, I�m able to type and answer phones, write, feed myself,
                          but I am slow I grant you that, can�t type 100 wpm. I actually know someone
                          who can, but anyways I�m in a power wheelchair, in their final report they
                          said that I was not college material because of being physically slow and so
                          we will not pay for any college for Betty. They based this decision on a 1
                          week evaluation at a goodwill here in town where they had me doing all sorts
                          of things. And some of it was new so of course I would be slow at first.
                          Everything was on a timer so that didn�t help me. That�s my experience.

                          COP/CIPP2 I�m not sure what they stand for but they help me to pay for my
                          attendants and anything else I need to stay independent in my home.

                          Hopes this helps,

                          Betty

                        • David
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                            Betty, is right about Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. I have
                            gotten stuck with them twice in my lifetime, the first time was when
                            I was 17, it took me 3 years to get clear enough of them to get on
                            with life, the second time was after almost 4 years of being out of
                            work and needing some more education to continue in the computer
                            industry. I am a network engineer and software tester, ( not exactly
                            a dieing industry) but the DVR people here in my area(washington
                            state) decided that the whole computer industry is dieing, and within
                            5-7 years will be dormant. that was of course just over 5 years ago
                            now. they wanted me to do something other than computers( after 18
                            years in the industry) but they wouldnt allow me to do my own
                            business, because what I wanted to do nobody else was doing in the
                            entire state of washington, I had/have data from other people making
                            in excess of $70,000 per year doing it and thought it sounded like
                            fun to be able to make enough money to get off of state aid and
                            actually be contributing to the community instead of living off of
                            it. but DVR wouldnt hear of it and put me through several different
                            tests,(including a psych test) that only showed that I could do
                            anything I chose to do. it took me finally accepting a job in a
                            totally different field for long enough to get out from under DVR's
                            thumb to get away from them. I am still not doing what I want to do,
                            but I have gotten back to the computer industry and software
                            testing....at least I can pay bills now.

                            just my $.02 worth...STAY AWAY from DVR.

                            David

                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > but I am slow I grant you that, can't type 100 wpm. I actually
                            know someone
                            > who can, but anyways I'm in a power wheelchair, in their final
                            report they
                            > said that I was not college material because of being physically
                            slow and so
                            > we will not pay for any college for Betty. They based this
                            decision on a 1
                            > week evaluation at a goodwill here in town where they had me doing
                            all sorts
                            > of things. And some of it was new so of course I would be slow at
                            first.
                            > Everything was on a timer so that didn't help me. That's my
                            experience.

                            > COP/CIPP2 I'm not sure what they stand for but they help me to pay
                            for my
                            > attendants and anything else I need to stay independent in my home.

                            4/2/2007
                            > 4:24 PM

                          • Amanda Hall
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 5, 2007
                              Hey,
                              I am curious if any of you have neurological problems.
                              I've read that some people with AMC have neurological
                              problems. Please write me back if you do. I am having
                              alot of problems. Such as Trigeminal Neuralgia,
                              Cluster headaches, Hemicrania Continua, etc. Having
                              problems with the left side of my face down my neck
                              and arm.
                              Thanks,
                              Mandi

                              AMANDA LYNN HALL
                              "There is nothing in the Dark
                              that isn't in the Light"

                              It's here! Your new message!
                            • DANIEL S

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 9, 2007
                                  Jane
                                  Have you looked into getting lifts installed? A couple of companies that send me advertisements have websites
                                  Sure Hands is at www.surehands.com
                                  And Barrier Free Lifts is at www.BarrierFreeLifts.com
                                  You might try a local medical equipment company or even check with your PT office and check with insurance company if they will pay for it. Probably Not but you might catch them on a good day

                                  Denise
                                  Dogs are not our whole life,
                                  But they make our lives whole.

                                • janet cresswell
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 20, 2007
                                    Hey all
                                    Welcome all members with amc
                                    I am Janet from UK and I am mobile by an electric scooter and adapted car
                                    All my limbs are affected and have had 26 surgeries, some successful and
                                    some not!
                                    I am a student at university and study creative writing which I enjoy very
                                    much
                                    I also enjoy travelling abroad, socializing and most types of music
                                    Please email me if you want to know more...
                                    Love
                                    Janet blue xx
                                    Http://janetcresswell.tripod.com
                                    Hi, I'm new to the group as well. My name is Melissa and i'm 21yrs old and
                                    was a college student at Mars Hill College in NC. As far as college goes, my
                                    advice would be for him to attend a public college, because if they get
                                    federal funding they are required by law to provide someone to help RJ with
                                    his needs, whereas at a private institution it is very difficult. i'm not
                                    sure if the have the same serives up there as they do in the south but if
                                    there is you should definitly open a case with the Dept. of Vocational
                                    Rehabilitation...they offer many services that can help. Good luck.
                                    -melissa