Re: [Adults AMC] Re: AMC Drivers

  • lilsweetie19772003
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2006
      Thank you so very much for your response John! We really appreciate it!
      I have to have that extra boost from a cushion too, without it, I have a clear view of the trees & the sky but not the road lol!

      John <jkottori@...> wrote:

      > 1. What type of AMC were you diagnosed with and how does it affect
      > your driving abilities?

      Not sure on what type.... maybe I should find that out now that I'm
      37 LOL... the only thing it affects my ability to turn to back up.
      My height needs a little boost. That is it.

      > 2. Were you required to take a special driver's education course
      > prior to getting your license?

      No. I took regular Drivers Ed in High School.

      > - If so, what kind? (i.e.did you stay at an on-site rehabilitation
      > facility that offered this service such as Carl D Perkins
      > Rehabilitation Center? www.cdpcrc.ky.gov/drved.html
      >
      > -Was this driver's education program offered by your state's
      > Department of Vocational Rehabilitation? - If no, please specify
      what
      > service/organization did provide this course to you.
      >
      > - How long did this process take you?
      >
      > - How did you find out about the requirements needed in order to
      > obtain admittance into your driver's education program? (i.e. was
      the
      > information given to you by your high school guidance counselor?)
      >
      > - Or were you referred by someone else? If so who?
      >

      > 3. What, if any, modifications does your vehicle have?

      Just Pillows for the boost.

      > -wheelchair lift/ramps
      >
      > -hand controls/pedal extensions/spinner knob/automatic ignition
      > switch, lowered flooring, etc.
      >
      > -Do you use extra or larger side mirrors?

      No
      > -Do you use any type of special seating? (i.e. for those with vans,
      > were your drivers seats removed so that you could drive right up to
      > the steering wheel while still in your wheelchair? & If so, do you
      > use any additional `seat-belts' or safety locks/devices to hold
      your
      > chair in place *other* than the locks/brakes that are built onto
      your
      > wheelchair?)
      >
      > - Do you have any other seating modifications such as extra
      cushions
      > for added height, round swivel seat disk, power seats (that are
      > usually a standard feature on most cars now days). If so do you
      find
      > these features to be helpful?
      >
      > No
      > 4. What type of vehicle do you drive?

      Mitsubishi Gallant... but have driven SUV's and Miatas

      > -What features persuaded you in your choice? (Did it have cruise
      > control or was it the console in the middle of the front seat with
      > that secret compartment for holding your spare change to pay those
      > tolls while traveling to an AMCSupport Convention =o)!!
      >
      > -If you do not have a vehicle with a lift/ramp when you travel with
      > your manual chair, how do you load it into your vehicle?
      >
      > -Is your vehicle a 2 door/4 door? & would you suggest one over the
      > other?

      4 door and I would rec that to any disabled person because adjustment
      of seat.
      > - If there are other features not mentioned here that helps you
      while
      > driving PLEASE LIST them!
      >

      > 5. What restrictions if any do you have listed on your license?

      None
      > - for instance I am restricted to driving a car with ONLY an
      > automatic transmission because:
      > 1. my feet won't reach the pedals!! &
      > 2. Both my hands are in use at ALL times – Left for using the
      > gas/brake and – Right for steering
      > (*This is just to give our Future AMC Driver's an idea of what to
      > expect.)
      >

      > 6. Did you recieve any form of financial assistance in purchasing
      > your adaptive equipment? Your vehicle?

      N/A
      > -If so please list how you became aware of this service, the
      process
      > used in obtaing funds as well as what percentage was covered.
      >

      > Would you be willing to PLEASE take the time to photograph any/all
      of
      > your vehicle's modifications (no matter how big or small!) & send
      > them to: jenilee@... You can even demonstrate `how' you
      > use each modification, show what you do to give your car the gas or
      > how the spinner knob works if you have hand controls.
      >

      > *Please include a brief description of what each photo is
      > representing as well as how you use it. Even if you do not have
      > adaptive equipment installed on your vehicle or you choose not to
      > include photos & you are an AMC'er; we still Welcome your
      > answers/stories/experiences on this topic!!
      >
      > I know this seems like a lot of information to be asking but I feel
      > that it would be greatly appreciated by those AMC'ers who are
      > preparing for this Major Milestone as well as their parents!!! Many
      > of which have already ask these questions ;o)

      Jenilee
      Site Admin
      amcsupport.org
      http://www.amcsupport.org
      *Our 2006 AMCSupport Connection Convention was a HUGE SUCCESS!
      Visit http://www.amcsupport.org/convention2006 for convention pics & details.
      *We will host our 2007 AMC Convention in TEXAS! July 12-15 2007
      For Texas info & updates: Add your email to our list! texas@...

    • lilsweetie19772003
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2006
        Thank you for your response as well as your added comments Tim! We really appreciate it!
        I have to agree with you 100%, I can still remember the first time I drove my car ALONE for the very first time. You never know what you can do until you put yoursef in the situation to 'do' it!! I choose not to get my license at 16 when I could have & opted to wait until I was in my early 20's....had I known what extra independence and confidence that 'driving' offered I would have been the first in line on the morning of my 16th bday!! :o)

        Tim Hickernell <tim@...> wrote:
        See below.

        One comment, in addition to my answers below. I know this is the adult
        group, but for the parents who read this group, I cannot stress enough the
        importance of enabling your AMC child to drive. Not being able to drive, at
        the time all your friends start to drive, can be depressing by itself. But
        being able to drive also brings a great sense of independence to a teen with
        AMC and really helps boost self-image and self-confidence. I strongly
        recommend parents encourage their AMC teen to take drivers education and
        apply for a license, supporting whatever special needs they may have with
        respect to vehicle alterations/features.

        Tim – Chicago
        M 43, with AMC

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hello,

          I wanted to comment about this one.

          1. What type of AMC were you diagnosed with and how does it affect
          your driving abilities?

          Not sure what type, but I have just about no use of my upper body
          (shoulders, arms, hands). I also have limited motion of my neck and
          turning it to the right(this might not be AMC). And full use of my
          legs for walking, running, kicking, typing, brushing my teeth, and
          driving ...

          2. Were you required to take a special driver's education course
          prior to getting your license?

          I started with G.F Strong, a rehabilitation centre that provided
          various adaptive divices for driving with. I believe my instructor
          was from the Motor Vehicle Branch.. not really sure

          3. What, if any, modifications does your vehicle have?

          Because I only have two feet, one for the wheel and another for the
          Gas / Brake I was unable to reach the flicker without taking my foot
          off the wheel (this was a requirement for getting my license. don't
          take my foot off the wheel). I do not use this device, although my
          license says I should. Whenever I grab the flicker I put my right
          knee at the bottom of the wheel to keep it straight. The device was
          made to extend the flicker to reach with my toe while keeping my foot
          on the wheel.

          Plus I have an additional rear view mirror that allows me to see
          behind as well the sides. The mirror is because I have a hard time
          turning my neck to the right for shoulder checking, I can, but it's
          not easy.

          Plus I am restricted to an automatic transmission.

          4. What type of vehicle do you drive?

          I have driven all types of cars, from 87 Monte Carlo, 87 Dodge Omni,
          88 5.0 liter Mustang (I am trying to sell), 91 Right Wheel drive
          Honda Integra (Rented in NZ) and I just bought a brand new 2007 Honda
          Fit (Probably the most comfortable for leg space and driving)

          5. What restrictions if any do you have listed on your license?

          Restricted to Automatic, Flicker device, althoughg I prefer not to
          use it and lane changer rear mirror.

          6. Did you recieve any form of financial assistance in purchasing
          your adaptive equipment? Your vehicle?

          I lived at my parents while receiving disability assistance, about
          $700 a month. Saved my sheckles with a little assistance from
          inheritance. The car got me back and forth to School in IT. 40min to
          1 hour drive each way.

          Since School, I now work in IT, developing and managing Intranet
          Websites for a large bank. I've been there for four years and bought
          my own apartment two years ago. Purchased a new, entry level, Honda
          Fit Sport with Paddle Shifters on the Steering wheel (I don't even
          want to go into how I use those)

          So the two most importent purchases, I made was a Computer and a
          Car. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't purchased one
          or both of those.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2006
            Andy,

            Thank you so very much for your valuable information. I know several families with younger AMC'ers who I'm sure will appreciate you taking the time to respond to our survey!! I too have AMC and I'm thrilled to hear of all you've accomplished, Big Congrats to you!! I'm just curious and now I'm wishing we would have ask this question but at what age did you start driving?? What age did you get your license?? I actually had no interest at the age of 16 (hard to believe! hehe) and didn't get mine till my early 20's. I think it had more to do with the fact that I simply didn't know what options were available to me, or what all is out there!!! Thanks again!!

          • Andrew Hawksworth
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
              I was age 16 when I got my license. Two months before my 17th
              Birthday.

              At the time, not only did I have an interest in cars, I had an
              identicle twin brother who does not have AMC and was also getting his
              license.

              I'm happy to help.

              Thanks,

              Andy

              --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, lilsweetie19772003
              <lilsweetie19772003@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > adaptive equipment installed on your vehicle or you choose not to
              > > include photos & you are an AMC'er; we still Welcome your
              > > answers/stories/experiences on this topic!!
              > >
              > > I know this seems like a lot of information to be asking but I
              feel
              > > that it would be greatly appreciated by those AMC'ers who are
              > > preparing for this Major Milestone as well as their parents!!!
              Many
              > > of which have already ask these questions ;o)
              > >

              > Jenilee
              > Site Admin
              > amcsupport.org
              > http://www.amcsupport.org
              > *Our 2006 AMCSupport Connection Convention was a HUGE SUCCESS!
              > Visit http://www.amcsupport.org/convention2006 for convention
              pics & details.
              > *We will host our 2007 AMC Convention in TEXAS! July 12-15 2007

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arthrogryposisyoungadults/

            • Farrah Higginbotham
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
                Hi, I'm Farrah! I'm 29 from louisiana and I drive a chevy Astro Van. I have what is called a DIGI DRIVE setup in my van. Which means I have a small steering wheel on my left and a joystick controller on my right for gas/break. I have a head control with one single button whith different tones 1-8 for different functions such as blinkers, horn, wipers, etc. its practically keyless entry and keyless start. everything is custom designed for my reach and my particular limitations. i have a lift at the side door and I drive straight from my wheelchair.
                Voc Rehab sent me for an eval and then I had to buy my van which had to be less than two years old or less than i think 2500 miles on it. Voc Rehab paid for all my modifications. Igot a learners permit while it was being "remodeled". Then once I got my van back A man from "Houston Texas" by the name of Chad Strowmatt called me and said my Voc rehab counselor contacted him for me to have 30 hours of driving training before I could get my full license. So he drove down and stayed a week to teach me how to drive. He said I was a pro. Anyway after he left I went to the Doctor and had my Doctor write a statement saying that my disability can be adapted to drive or something of that nature. Then I went to the DMV gave them that little document and They let me take my driving test I passed and I've been driving now for 8 years.

                Thats my driving history summed up. If yoy have specific questions feel free to contact me at my e-mail addy.

                thanks,
                Farrah

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
                  HEY Farrah, whats been goin on! its been a while!!

                  ~Theresa_ Theresa's page_ (http://www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html)
                  _www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html_
                  (http://www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html)

                  "I've been looking for something
                  Something I've never seen
                  We're all looking for something
                  Something to be"
                  ~Rob Thomas

                • lilsweetie19772003
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
                    Hi Farrah,
                    First of all I want to thank you for replying to our post about AMC Drivers!!
                    I've never heard of the Digi Drive, It sounds wonderful and I can't wait to share the info, striatght from a "Pro" with our future AMC Drivers out there!! =o) I know they are very interested in seeing what options/modifications are available to them!!
                    This information was VERY helpful and I'm sure you'll be seeing an email or two pop up from me in your inbox LOL!! Have a wonderful day and thanks again!!! ~Jen

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 23 5:25 AM
                      PLEASE help us out, this will be for the amcsupport Convention in Texas July
                      12-15th,2007
                      Feel free to add any questions/comments/suggestions that you Don't See
                      Listed here that you would like to have more information on but PLEASE Do Not
                      Answer Here, Send ALL Replies to _jenilee@..._
                      (mailto:jenilee@...) Thank You!

                      To Our AMC Drivers,

                      I would like to put together a display on the topic of "Driving With AMC"

                      _www.cdpcrc.ky.gov/drved.html_ (http://www.cdpcrc.ky.gov/drved.html)

                      _jenilee@..._ (mailto:jenilee@...) You can even demonstrate ‘
                      how’ you use each modification, show what you do to give your car the gas or
                      how the spinner knob works if you have hand controls.

                      *Please include a brief description of what each photo is representing as
                      well as how you use it. Even if you do not have adaptive equipment installed on
                      your vehicle or you choose not to include photos & you are an AMC'er; we
                      still Welcome your answers/stories/experiences on this topic!!

                      I know this seems like a lot of information to be asking but I feel that it
                      would be greatly appreciated by those AMC’ers who are preparing for this
                      Major Milestone as well as their parents!!! Many of which have already ask these
                      questions ;o)

                      ~Theresa (http://www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html)

                      Theresa's page
                      _www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html_
                      (http://www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html)
                      _www.amcsupport.org_ (http://www.amcsupport.org)

                      "Some people
                      It's a pity
                      They go all their lives and never know
                      How to love or to let love go
                      But it's alright now
                      We'll make it through this somehow
                      And we'll paint the perfect picture
                      All the colors of this world will run together more than ever
                      I can feel it
                      Can you feel it

                      We may never find our reason to shine
                      But here and now this is our time
                      And I may never find the meaning of life
                      But for this moment I am fine"
                      ~Rob Thomas

                    • jingai
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 27 9:24 AM
                        > 1. What type of AMC were you diagnosed with and how does it affect
                        > your
                        > driving abilities?
                        No specific diagnosis other than AMC, but I assume it is the non-
                        hereditary type given that no one else in my family is affected.

                        Primarily, I need an automatic transmission, or a clutchless manual
                        transmission with paddle shifters. It's too difficult to drive
                        without both hands on the wheel at all times, so a normal manual
                        transmission is out of the question.

                        Seating position takes a lot of trial-and-error, and I've found that
                        American and more recent Japanese makes don't allow me to get into a
                        comfortable and safe position -- in sedans, they typically sit far
                        too high, and given that I have to be closer to the wheel than most
                        it forces me to hunch over. I'm 5'10".

                        Older Japanese models (1990s and below) and German cars of every make
                        I've driven (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW) have posed no problems. German
                        cars in particular allow a little less flexibility in the position,
                        but it just happens to be the right position for me to begin with.
                        I've personally driven a Z3, Z4, 325i, 328i, 330i convertible, 335i,
                        and 550i. All of them felt the same with regard to seating position,
                        and for the most part, steering feel.

                        Some controls can be tedious to reach, and possibly dangerous, but
                        with recent cars nearly everything is automated. For things that are
                        not automated, such as placing a telephone call, entering in a
                        destination into the navigation computer, changing the radio/cd/mp3,
                        there are voice commands. The voice recognition in cars recently has
                        gotten much, much more reliable, too.

                        > 2. Were you required to take a special driver’s education course
                        > prior to
                        > getting your license?
                        No, and I'd wager that it is never legally required unless you cannot
                        pass the driving test. This is what they told me when I went, before
                        I took the test. I passed it, though, and they issued the license
                        without further thought.

                        > 3. What, if any, modifications does your vehicle have?
                        None. My current vehicle ships from the factory with a lot of things
                        that do make it easier for the disabled, although they were designed
                        as luxury items for able-bodied people. Such as push-button
                        ignition, automatic headlamps and wipers, rear parking camera, auto-
                        dimming mirrors, etc. The only things I need to touch physically are
                        the ignition button, the gear shift, and the steering wheel.

                        > - Do you have any other seating modifications such as extra
                        > cushions for
                        > added height, round swivel seat disk, power seats (that are usually
                        > a standard
                        > feature on most cars now days). If so do you find these features to be
                        > helpful?
                        Power seats are indeed helpful. The standard power seats in a BMW
                        are 6-way, but I opted for the premium 8-way seats and I'm glad I
                        did. More flexibility in position means a more comfortable, safe
                        driving position. The premium seats also included key memory, so if
                        someone else drives my car using my spare key, all my settings are
                        retained when I drive it again: seat position, mirror positions, and
                        even radio presets, telephone book, etc.

                        I would never, ever, ever buy a car without power seats. It'd be WAY
                        to much of a PITA to readjust after letting someone else drive my car.

                        > 4. What type of vehicle do you drive?
                        >
                        > -What features persuaded you in your choice? (Did it have cruise
                        > control or
                        > was it the console in the middle of the front seat with that secret
                        > compartment for holding your spare change to pay those tolls while
                        > traveling to an
                        > AMCSupport Convention =o)!!
                        I guess I've already illustrated most of the features that persuaded
                        me to buy my '07 BMW 328i :-)

                        Besides those, the power and appearance were no small factor in my
                        decision. I even went with the coupe because they don't offer the
                        red leather in the sedan ;-)

                        The coupe's backseats are a pain to get in and out of, though not
                        impossible. It matters little to me though, since I am almost always
                        the driver.

                        > -Is your vehicle a 2 door/4 door? & would you suggest one over the
                        > other?
                        Sedan is the easiest if you will need to get into the backseat, of
                        course. Some manufacturers though, like I said above, only offer
                        certain packages, colors, etc, with the coupes, which typically are
                        the "sport" options.

                        > - If there are other features not mentioned here that helps you while
                        > driving PLEASE LIST them!
                        Hands-down the best two features (from an accessibility perspective)
                        have been the voice recognition and automatic headlamps/wipers.

                        > 5. What restrictions if any do you have listed on your license?
                        None. Although I'd not be stupid enough to try to drive a
                        traditional manual transmission vehicle on public roads.

                        The newer clutchless manuals though with paddle shifters on the
                        steering wheel I can and do drive. It's fantastic to finally be able
                        to choose the gear on my own.

                        Although I will say, BMW's newer automatic shift programs are pretty
                        close to how I'd do it anyway. They're very aggressive and
                        apparently now pay attention to lateral G-forces; that is, if I'm
                        powering through a turn, it will be reluctant to downshift until G-
                        forces begin to decrease (indicative that I'm exiting the turn).
                        Downshifting at the wrong point in a fast turn in a rear-wheel-drive
                        vehicle can produce disastrous results :P

                        > 6. Did you recieve any form of financial assistance in purchasing your
                        > adaptive equipment? Your vehicle?
                        No.. I wish I had though LOL

                        -Jonathan