Older adults & Post Polio-Like symptoms

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm 50 and have all 4 limbs affected... in the past 6 months I have
      noticed numbness and loss of strength (what little I had to start with
      LOL) in my right hand, especially in my ring and little finger. My Dr.
      at Kaiser who knows nothing about AMC sent me for an EMG.. the results
      was inconclusive as there were no previous tests to compare the
      results with. He said the nerves in my hand are very small. He is now
      referring me to a Neurologist for further testing.

      To all the professionals who are out there...do we AMC folks get post
      polio type symptoms as we age? If so are there any proven ways to
      stave it off?? I have practically no use of my left hand and the two
      fingers which I have relied on all my life are now getting weak. I
      live alone and am independent..I'd to remain that way... any
      suggestions??

      Thanks... (with my fingers crossed!)
      Kathleen
    • Denise
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2006
        Have them look at you neck area. I too had tingling fingers. Mine was from Arthritis in the spine and a shrinking of the spinal column which pressed on the nerves. Rest, heat, ultrasound, e-stem and exercises for that area helped. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
        My doctor says the only thing they can do for me is treat my symptoms as the trouble areas occur. There does not seem to be any proven way to stave off the effects. Remember we are the first generation to live this long and independent of institutionalize care. The doctors just don't know and I do not believe there is any research being done on the effects of AMC and aging per say. There may have been a few surveys taken in the past but no protocol has been written to ward off the effects to my knowledge. .

        Denise
        Dogs are not our whole life,
        But they make our lives whole.