Hello!

  • megachik30
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2006
      Hi everyone,
      Thought it was time to finally intro myself.
      Funny though, I had signed up a couple years ago, and when I went to
      post this I had to resign up..lol Oh well.

      My name is Simonette,age 36,but look younger :), from midwest. I do
      not have AMC, I have Congenital Muscular Dystrophy. Some of the
      characteristics of CMD are similar with AMC in that I have
      contractures in hips and knees.

      History: As a child I went through 2 hamstring release operations,
      which well, my hamstrings tightened right back after some time. My
      muscle tone is also similar to AMC, in that I lack muscle tone,
      they've been called spaghetti string muscles lol, but have been able
      to build up to a certain point. My hand and finger dexterity are not
      affected, and use a manual wheelchair/powerchair interchangeably.

      For the past few months I've been having some neck issues. Tension
      headaches, neck pain, which really I handle no big deal with abit of
      excedrine. However, When the headaches come with persistent dizziness,
      I decided to see my doctor about this as I can handle any amount of
      pain, but once the dizzies come into play, thats means a face-off is
      on. :)
      After talking with my doctor about the headaches,neck pain, slight
      numbness in my fingers at times, he decided to do some neck
      manipulation. Wouldn't you know it, 5 minutes after he popped my
      neck, all the pain/dizzies went away. That was six weeks ago.
      Days after that I bought a new bed, and things have been fine.
      However, during the night lastnite I woke up with a severe headache,
      and the dizzyness returned. ANYTHING but dizziness.
      So today I went back to my doctor, he popped my neck again, and all is
      well in simmie land.

      I workout 3x a week, always moving my arms above my head, stretch to
      keep everything in condition... I would prefer a non-medicinal regimen
      if possible. I've done research, and have been following some online
      website recommendations. I'd like to know if any of you have had
      similar experiences, and how you maintain it?

      hehe I'm known for writing rather long posts so bear with me. :)

      good to meet you all
      -simonette
    • Kendall Conrad
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2006
        Nice intro, glad you spoke up. One idea you might want to try with your exercising is doing some yoga. It helps stretch you out and might help with your neck. You might not be able to completely do all the moves quite like they are intended, but you can adapt them to whatever fits you best. Some people swear by the results they get from yoga. I haven't done a whole lot with it, but understand how it can help. Good luck with it and hope your dizziness stays at bay. -Kendall --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "megachik30" <mizmocha30@...> wrote: > > Hi everyone, > Thought it was time to finally intro myself. > Funny though, I had signed up a couple years ago, and when I went to > post this I had to resign up..lol Oh well. > > My name is Simonette,age 36,but look younger :), from midwest. I do > not have AMC, I have Congenital Muscular Dystrophy. Some of the > characteristics of CMD are similar with AMC in that I have > contractures in hips and knees. > > History: As a child I went through 2 hamstring release operations, > which well, my hamstrings tightened right back after some time. My > muscle tone is also similar to AMC, in that I lack muscle tone, > they've been called spaghetti string muscles lol, but have been able > to build up to a certain point. My hand and finger dexterity are not > affected, and use a manual wheelchair/powerchair interchangeably. > > For the past few months I've been having some neck issues. Tension > headaches, neck pain, which really I handle no big deal with abit of > excedrine. However, When the headaches come with persistent dizziness, > I decided to see my doctor about this as I can handle any amount of > pain, but once the dizzies come into play, thats means a face-off is > on. :) > After talking with my doctor about the headaches,neck pain, slight > numbness in my fingers at times, he decided to do some neck > manipulation. Wouldn't you know it, 5 minutes after he popped my > neck, all the pain/dizzies went away. That was six weeks ago. > Days after that I bought a new bed, and things have been fine. > However, during the night lastnite I woke up with a severe headache, > and the dizzyness returned. ANYTHING but dizziness. > So today I went back to my doctor, he popped my neck again, and all is > well in simmie land. > > I workout 3x a week, always moving my arms above my head, stretch to > keep everything in condition... I would prefer a non-medicinal regimen > if possible. I've done research, and have been following some online > website recommendations. I'd like to know if any of you have had > similar experiences, and how you maintain it? > > hehe I'm known for writing rather long posts so bear with me. :) > > good to meet you all > -simonette >
      • megachik30
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2006
          Hi Kendall,

          I'll check out some yoga sites. I've heard mixed reviews on yoga. As
          you say, different results for different people. Maybe you could try
          Tai Chi, which is a combination of yoga and meditation might help too.
          It doesn't appear that one needs to be as limber with Tai Chi, as yoga
          does. Tai Chi looks more body-user friendly lol.

          Here is a link on Tai Chi:
          http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/

          Have a good one!
          -simonette