Re: [Adults AMC] wheelchair ramps

  • TUCMUM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 16, 2006
      That wheelchair can't be loaded with a normal motorcycle ramp due to off set
      tires you will have to get the quad fold wheelchair ramp if you want a
      portable ramp. Word from the wise lady with a torn rotator cup, do with the
      universal mounted one instead the portable one is 75lbs and when you lift it out of
      the back of the van it pulls at the shoulder and it to big and weird to get
      with two hands. The mounted one is spring loaded and wonderful. Insurance
      companies are now not having any objections on paying for this one...as they did
      back when tucker was only 18 months. I guess I wasn't the only one getting
      hurt from using it, Sure cost less to be safer in the first place then to wait
      until they have to pay for the care of two people.
      Traci Tucker's mom (8 with amc.)

    • Beverly R Hanset Burch

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
          Hi.
          Yes we were told that at first permobil was hard to get parts for and that they were not the most reliable. Our therapists assure us that they have improved. I hope so! And I look forward to getting my little girl up off the floor and helping in the kitchen. At counter level. It is exciting. I guess also it is scary. Every time I am reminded that she does have AMC a bit of my heart does ache for her. I don't want it to, but I cannot help it. She is close to standing on her own too. Our current goal is to get her household ambulatory but not for long periods. And for long walks this chair would be great. It sure looks like she could even go hiking with us.
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
            oh she could go hiking with it, i've run mine through many trails and thick wooded areas. i would just remember to not let her relie too much on her chair sense she is so young, i don't regret getting my chair when i was 12. you don't want her to stop using her muscels.

            Beverly R Hanset Burch <b.hansetburch@...> wrote: Hi.

          • Beverly R Hanset Burch
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
              She is so driven to do things herself. I mainly want her to be able to not worry during longer distances. And to be able to chase her brothers down the street(they are 19, 18 and 16) My grandmother was never allowed power mobility, and so she became shut in. She was worried if she could make it far shopping, zoo, etc. We used to sneak a manual chair for her. She would walk as far as she could, then ride on the way back. My aunt and dad said that would make her weak. Nope. Made her braver. Bonnie, my daughter, is such a bundle of energy. You should see her in a high chair at restaurants. Her right arm goes pretty much freely to the table. Her left arm doesn't. So she takes her right arm, pushes her left up. She grunts and groans the whole time. It is very cute. Last time, she finally was able to get the left up on it's own. She was so proud and looking around the restaurant for affirmation. She got it too! She works so hard at standing too, and then gets exhausted. She is a driven little spirit. Oh and therapy the last two weeks at one particular center... the first trip they wanted her to roll around so a student could see just how she did it... and so of course she worked on going from laying to sitting from the floor. So the next trip they wanted to do laying to sitting.... so she rolled away. Her little face says it all, tells us who is in charge. She has her brothers trained too. When she drops stuff they get it. Oh the control! Yet she doesn't do that to me because I won't get it!

              Obviously I could go on and on here.... I'll stop now.
> [...]

              > life of the chair i replaced the battiers once. the
              > invacare and the permobile are the only 2 chairs i
              > know of that have the lift on the seat option, this
              > option was the best thing that ever happened for
              > me, i can reach everything in my house, its awsome.
              >
              > Beverly R Hanset Burch <b.hansetburch@...>
              > wrote: My daughter is about to get her first
              > loaner power chair, and then we will be ordering
              > one soon after that. She turns two on Thursday. We
              > are looking at Permobil Playman Robo.

              (http://www.permobilusa.com/templates/ProductPage.aspx?id=1277)

              > We are thinking this chair because she is getting
              > good at transferring from floor to sit and we think
              > she could get into this one on her own. It also
              > goes up and down. She is played with one at
              > Shriners. The loaner will be a Invacare tiger.
              >
              > I have a 1996 Plymouth Grand Caravan. I am
              > thinking motorcycle ramp... but thought I would ask

              Disabled vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

            • Allyson
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
                your little girl sounds a lot like myself at that age. i was a little kid with a great way of getting into mischief. I had ADD, didn't know until i was in high school, but needless to say nothing was stopping me. I kind of miss rolling around, i was a pro at tripping up my brothers so i would get to the toys faster then they could.

                Beverly R Hanset Burch <b.hansetburch@...> wrote: She is so driven to do things herself. I mainly want her to be able to not worry during longer distances. And to be able to chase her brothers down the street(they are 19, 18 and 16) My grandmother was never allowed power mobility, and so she became shut in. She was worried if she could make it far shopping, zoo, etc. We used to sneak a manual chair for her. She would walk as far as she could, then ride on the way back. My aunt and dad said that would make her weak. Nope. Made her braver. Bonnie, my daughter, is such a bundle of energy. You should see her in a high chair at restaurants. Her right arm goes pretty much freely to the table. Her left arm doesn't. So she takes her right arm, pushes her left up. She grunts and groans the whole time. It is very cute. Last time, she finally was able to get the left up on it's own. She was so proud and looking around the restaurant for affirmation. She got

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
                    same here, actually she sounds a little bigger then i was at her age. I was a little over 9 mos before i got to 10 pounds. now at 25 i'm about 4 feet 5-7 inches and barley keep my weight above 80 pounds. i was shorty or half pint, as my brothers nick named me.

                    Beverly R Hanset Burch <b.hansetburch@...> wrote: It is amazing how fast and how well she can negotiate the way around the house by rolling. She is quite petite. 30 inches and 21 pounds.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
                      Tucker was the first permobile owner in America and has never had a bit of
                      problems with his at all. Getting parts was never an issue! It is actually the
                      most reliable one on the market...thus the cost difference between it and the
                      other chairs.
                      Traci tucker's mom

                    • Beverly R Hanset Burch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
                        Bonnie was a pound a month until month 20... then she slowed even more! But she looks right. And so far her brothers just call her a big girl. She is almost like an only child since they are so old. She is quite spoiled with love.