Re: [Adults AMC] Keeping our AMC Community Safe

  • jingai
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2006
      Yep. They're generally known as Wannabes -- people that will
      roleplay the part of a disabled person. Sometimes even will wear
      braces, etc, even though they don't need them. I don't pretend to
      understand why, but you can learn more if you google for it LOL

      -j

      On Mar 21, 2006, at 9:14 PM, kellee wrote:

      > I'm confused. So they're "posers" out there?
      >
      > Ani <ani@...> wrote: To the AMC Community,
      >
      > I visit here on a daily basis for support, encouragement & friendship
      > as I'm sure many of you do as well. I would like to see this
      > wonderful group continue to flourish for many years to come. However,
      > it has come to my attention that even here we have our share of
      > unfortunate yet none the less disturbing happenings. Recently we
      > found out that a member is "NOT" who he or she claims they are. They
      > are even "knowingly" providing false information about their
      > condition. This person is clearly not here simply to seek or provide
      > support/encouragement and if they are here for friendship then even
      > that has to be questioned.
      >
      > I am not posting this message by any means to alarm anyone! I only
      > want our members here (myself & friends included) to be aware of
      > their `online' surroundings and that such people DO exist! They
      > seem `not' to care about your race, creed, ethnicity, or even
      > religion, but only the fact that you are disabled as a means of
      > selecting you as their next "Friend."
      >
      > In the event that you find out `you' were deceived by someone whom
      > you later discovered was `not' who they originally claimed to be…
      > PLEASE contact your group moderators or email me directly at
      > admin@... as soon as possible (give them any information
      > you may have) so that this does not happen to another unsuspecting
      > member. Not only will you be helping yourself by making this group
      > a `safer' place, but you will in turn be helping those with whom have
      > yet to find this wonderful support group!!
      >
      > So please be careful!

      > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled
      > vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

      > Service.
      >

      > ---------------------------------

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Wendy Hiatt
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 22, 2006
        That makes me sick. You have to be a pretty messed up person to do that.
        Unfortunately, there are more of them out there then we
        realize................................................................ Just
        pray for them. Maybe God can help them....... Who knows.

        Wendy

      • Carl Avidano
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 22, 2006
          I never talk in this group but maybe it is time that I start. I am having
          trouble with my feet. My toes are beginning to curl like my hands have been
          my whole life. Is anyone else experiencing something of the same? I am 24.

        • Tim Hickernell
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 22, 2006
            Here's a quick primer on the concept, I found via Google.

            http://www.amputee-online.com/amputee/bruno_art.html

            I'm only posting it to the Adults group, due to the nature of some of the
            content. I have to say I've met a few "devotees," as the doctor describes
            them, in my life. I'm pretty good at spotting them now though, at least in
            person. Thanks, Moderators, for bringing this to everyone's attention.

            Tim
            Chicago, 43, w/AMC
            (And no, I'm not a poser! Pretty hard to fake >20 scars from 11 surgeries.
            :> )

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 22, 2006
              In a message dated 3/22/2006 5:25:14 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
              tim@... writes:

              Thanks, Moderators, for bringing this to everyone's attention.

              Tim
              Chicago, 43, w/AMC
              (And no, I'm not a poser! Pretty hard to fake >20 scars from 11 surgeries.
              :> )

              YOU ARE SOOOOOO welcome Tim!!! thanks 4 supplying the website about it!!

              ~Theresa
              _Theresa's page_ (http://www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html)
              www.hometown.aol.com/terry2745/index.html

              "Don't you wanna go for a ride
              Just keep your hands inside
              And make the most out of life
              Now don't you take it for granted"
              ~Rob Thomas

            • kathleen grover
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 22, 2006
                Hi ...I'm 50, w/bi-lateral club feet, my toes started to turn under in my 30's . My podiatrist offered to fix them, but they really don't bother me.

                Carl Avidano <cavidano@...> wrote: I never talk in this group but maybe it is time that I start. I am having

              • Carl Avidano
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 23, 2006
                  Thanks for the response. Mine are making it hard for me too run/play
                  basketball or walk for a long period of time. Maybe I should get them fixed.
                  Where are you from?

                  From: kathleen grover <katebythesea@...>
                  Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:38:10 -0800 (PST)
                  To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

                  >>> seem `not' to care about your race, creed, ethnicity, or even
                  >>> religion, but only the fact that you are disabled as a means of
                  >>> selecting you as their next "Friend."
                  >>>
                  >>> In the event that you find out `you' were deceived by someone whom
                  >>> you later discovered was `not' who they originally claimed to be…
                  >>> PLEASE contact your group moderators or email me directly at
                  >>> admin@... as soon as possible (give them any information
                  >>> you may have) so that this does not happen to another unsuspecting
                  >>> member. Not only will you be helping yourself by making this group
                  >>> a `safer' place, but you will in turn be helping those with whom have
                  >>> yet to find this wonderful support group!!
                  >>>
                  >>> So please be careful!

                  >>> Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled
                  >>> vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

                  >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                  Disabled travel
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+travel&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=D
                  isabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+e
                  quipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=nVFKfoyrb9cRZ6Iza8FSHQ> Disabled lift
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+lift&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Dis
                  abled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equ
                  ipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=LV_qvOfUfanZ_grWZGWIHA> Disabled
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Disabled
                  +lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equipmen
                  t&c=6&s=120&.sig=fRK43VGJ7xHg1mOfAHP4Ng>
                  Disabled vans
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+vans&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Dis
                  abled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equ
                  ipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=FHDZFYQuAivEDHLtIx5KVQ> Disabled products
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+products&w1=Disabled+travel&w2
                  =Disabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled
                  +equipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=6J_Mm9GOOmoBmIbNmSzKVw> Disabled equipment
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+equipment&w1=Disabled+travel&w
                  2=Disabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disable
                  d+equipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=9Ud4eczeY6zIYYWla_eI_Q>

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  on the web.
                  *
                  *
                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • kathleen grover
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 23, 2006
                    I live in Lincoln, CA

                    Carl Avidano <cavidano@...> wrote: Thanks for the response. Mine are making it hard for me too run/play

                    From: kathleen grover <katebythesea@...>
                    Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:38:10 -0800 (PST)
                    To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 23, 2006
                      I live in Omaha. Good to talk to you.

                      From: kathleen grover <katebythesea@...>
                      Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:38:10 -0800 (PST)
                      To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 23, 2006
                        do you have a good Dr? it too me forever to find someone good!

                        Carl Avidano <cavidano@...> wrote: I live in Omaha. Good to talk to you.

                        From: kathleen grover <katebythesea@...>
                        Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:38:10 -0800 (PST)
                        To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 23, 2006
                          Actually right now I do not have a doctor.

                          From: kathleen grover <katebythesea@...>
                          Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:27:41 -0800 (PST)
                          To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com

                          From: kathleen grover <katebythesea@...>