Hello =]

  • ladynailik
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 3, 2006
      My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when they
      new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
      people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
      indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
      achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
      this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
      sharing my story.
    • Natalie Guajardo
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
        Hi there my name is Natalie I was also born with Arthrogryposis back in 1977 I have been looking for a friend on this web site and well no one has responded to me. I am a mother of a 7 yr. old 2nd grader she is my pride and joy however she was raised by my mom because my disability was sawt to be harmful in raising a little girl or baby at that. Bu now that she is 7 Iam doing my best to get her back home I was just looking for some support. I to live on my own with very little help I am also going through a divorce my soon to be ex husband was very abusive and so for the last 6 yrs. I also stuggled with that. Well sorry if I've bored you like I said I'm in need of friends.

        Hope to hear from you soon

        NATALIE

        ladynailik <ladylucki@...> wrote:
        My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when they
        new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
        people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
        indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
        achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
        this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
        sharing my story.

        Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

      • kathleen grover
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
          Hi Natalie,

          I was touched by your posting and would love to keep in touch with you. I am 50 and the mom of a wonderful 24 yr old daughter. She is now on her own. I also have AMC ...all four limbs were involved...12 surgeries...years of casts and PT...but I am better for having such a challenge. It gave me the an otherwise untouchable insight to be open and tenacious to live my life to the very fullest.

          I was married 24 yrs. and decided to go my own way 9 yrs. ago. It was the best decision I could have made, and I'm so much happier with my new life. I make a conscious effort to only have people in my life who add to the joy of living.

          I am a Realtor, now retired due to chronic pain from my now arthritic joints. I spend my time giving back, so that others may be inspired to be the best the can be, no matter how high the mountain or low the valley is ahead. All we have is today and I am forever grateful for it.

          I moved here, to Lincoln, CA from coastal Monterey 5 yrs. ago. Quite a different cup of tea living so far from the ocean...I drive down often to visit though!

          I have a housekeeper to do the heavy cleaning 2x a month but, other than that I am very independent, and quite good at dreaming up ways to get the more difficult tasks accomplished.

          Wishing you well,
          Smiles....Kathleen

          Natalie Guajardo <anas_mama05@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Wendy Hiatt
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
            Hi

            My name is Wendy and i just celebrated my 30 birthday in December. That is
            how long I have been living with Arthrogryposis. I'm not real good at this
            so please bare with me. At least I am reaching out.

            Thanx,
            Wendy H.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
              Hi Natalie, I also was born with this disease in 1975. This is the first
              time I have reached out to anyone about it. Give me time, I will start to
              open up. This isn't real easy for me. I guess you could say I am still
              trying to deal with the disease. Thanx for your story. Take to you soon.
              Take care and God bless!

              Wendy

              >From: Natalie Guajardo <anas_mama05@...>
              >To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Adults AMC] Hello =]
              >Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:27:47 -0800 (PST)
              >
              >Hi there my name is Natalie I was also born with Arthrogryposis back in
              >1977 I have been looking for a friend on this web site and well no one has
              >responded to me. I am a mother of a 7 yr. old 2nd grader she is my pride
              >and joy however she was raised by my mom because my disability was sawt to
              >be harmful in raising a little girl or baby at that. Bu now that she is 7
              >Iam doing my best to get her back home I was just looking for some support.
              >I to live on my own with very little help I am also going through a divorce
              >my soon to be ex husband was very abusive and so for the last 6 yrs. I also
              >stuggled with that. Well sorry if I've bored you like I said I'm in need of
              >friends.
              >
              > Hope to hear from you soon
              >
              > NATALIE
              >

              >ladynailik <ladylucki@...> wrote:
              > My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when they
              >new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
              >people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
              >indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
              >achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
              >this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
              >sharing my story.

              > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled vans
              >Disabled products Disabled equipment

              >---------------------------------

            • Wendy Hiatt
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
                I am also very independant, but I have other physical problems that are
                irritating the Arthrogryposis serverly. I was born in 1975. At that time
                there were only 5 cases in the United States. I was one of them. I would
                love to chat with you. Take care and God bless!

                Wendy

                >From: "ladynailik" <ladylucki@...>
                >To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Adults AMC] Hello =]
                >Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:22:23 -0000
                >
                >My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when they
                >new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
                >people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
                >indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
                >achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
                >this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
                >sharing my story.

              • Carl Avidano
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Hello Wendy, I was also born with amc. I am 24. I live in omaha.

                  From: "Wendy Hiatt" <WendyHiatt75@...>
                  Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:30:48 +0000
                  To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: RE: [Adults AMC] Hello =]

                  I am also very independant, but I have other physical problems that are
                  irritating the Arthrogryposis serverly. I was born in 1975. At that time
                  there were only 5 cases in the United States. I was one of them. I would
                  love to chat with you. Take care and God bless!

                  Wendy

                  >From: "ladynailik" <ladylucki@...>
                  >To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Adults AMC] Hello =]
                  >Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:22:23 -0000
                  >
                  >My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when they
                  >new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
                  >people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
                  >indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
                  >achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
                  >this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
                  >sharing my story.

                  Disabled travel
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+travel&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=D
                  isabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+e
                  quipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=nVFKfoyrb9cRZ6Iza8FSHQ> Disabled lift
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+lift&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Dis
                  abled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equ
                  ipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=LV_qvOfUfanZ_grWZGWIHA> Disabled
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Disabled
                  +lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equipmen
                  t&c=6&s=120&.sig=fRK43VGJ7xHg1mOfAHP4Ng>
                  Disabled vans
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+vans&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Dis
                  abled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equ
                  ipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=FHDZFYQuAivEDHLtIx5KVQ> Disabled products
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+products&w1=Disabled+travel&w2
                  =Disabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled
                  +equipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=6J_Mm9GOOmoBmIbNmSzKVw> Disabled equipment
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+equipment&w1=Disabled+travel&w
                  2=Disabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disable
                  d+equipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=9Ud4eczeY6zIYYWla_eI_Q>

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  on the web.
                  *
                  *
                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • Jen Sylvester
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Hi Carl,
                    I am also 24 with AMC. I live in New Hampshire. Looking forward to getting to know you all better
                    Jen

                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Wendy Hiatt wrote:
                      > I am also very independant, but I have other physical problems that are
                      > irritating the Arthrogryposis serverly. I was born in 1975. At that
                      > time
                      > there were only 5 cases in the United States. I was one of them. I
                      > would
                      > love to chat with you. Take care and God bless!
                      >
                      > Wendy
                      I was born in 1974 (birthday's coming up next week) and I know there's
                      several people on this list who are older than me, so I think you were
                      fed with some misinformation about the actual total of people with
                      arthrogryposis. According to stats, roughly 3000 are born with it each year.

                      --
                      Dan
                      http://www.dango727.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Hey, Jen, great to meet you. At risk of sounding vague, what¹s your story?

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 5, 2006
                            Hi Natalie,

                            It took me many years and a lot of hard work to understand I was not alone. Since I was born in the 50's life tended to be isolating...I was the only "handicapped" kid in my classes until high school.

                            I will share with you what is now termed an "Aha Moment" in my life, which paved the way for a "Take Life By The Horns" attitude which is still with me today.

                            When I was 5 yrs old we lived in military housing in Germany. At this time I had a 3" difference in leg lengths and wore the old metal braces on both legs, both hands were severely clubbed. I refer to these times as my, "Iron Maiden Days."

                            Mom would let me play in the front yard, while she did her magic on her sewing machine..she loved making me beautiful dresses, always with one eye on me through the big picture window in the front room.

                            On this sunny day, I had been playing with the neighborhood kids, when one particular boy a few years older than me, referred to me in a term I had never heard, nor knew, the meaning of. However, I did know right off the bat, that this tone, and body language which accompanied the word were usually not used with terms of endearment!

                            In my determined way, I ran in the house, well, waddled in, and with a loud voice and a very stern look on my angelic face asked my mom, "Mommy, am I a cripple????" Her one word answer was straight forward and matter of fact. It was all I needed to hear to send me back outside, with confidence and tenacity, as if I knew I was being watched over by General Patton and his entire Army!!!

                            I turned on my heels, limped back outside as though I was a soldier heading for the front line of battle. As I approached my accuser,I looked him straight in the eyes and in tandem as I raised my right arm to his body, to make sure he completely understood me, I knocked him over while uttering these words with an attitude of sheer determination and confidence, "I AM NOT A CRIPPLE!!!!"

                            One word, one moment in time....neither of us really knew that at that moment, Mom had given me the greatest gift that day....one that I would re-open everyday, for the rest of my life.

                            Focusing on the good "Aha" moments of my life is something which takes practice and determination, but by doing so, I have made my Arthrogryposis an asset, one that has enriched my life far more profoundly than I could have ever imagined in my wildest dreams.

                            I am sharing this with you in the hopes that you too, will find the strength to look past those stares, comments and moments of outright discrimination to know that who you are has nothing to do with other people's opinion of you.

                            Have a wonderful day,

[...]

                          • Veronica Barrett
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 5, 2006
                              awesome story!

[...]

                              Veronica Barrett

                            • kathleen grover
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 5, 2006
                                Thank you

                                Veronica Barrett <veronicabarrett2004@...> wrote:
                                awesome story!

[...]

                              • cavy2fast4u
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 5, 2006
                                  Kathleen

                                  My name is Brandon. Your story is very uplifting for me. I am 21 yrs
                                  old and have a 20 mo. old daughter named Alexus who was born with AMC
                                  (all four limbs). When she was born her feet were touching her
                                  stomach ,her arms straight like an arrow, and her hands and feet
                                  clubed. Me and my fiancee work with her all the time (PT). She has
                                  only had 1 surgery and several sets of casts. She is very
                                  independent, except for eating ,drinking, and using the restroom. She
                                  is scoots on her bottom to get around. Its the people with the
                                  positive attitude like yours that makes it alot easier for us. She
                                  was scheduled to have her legs pulled down by surgery this month, but
                                  I think we are just gonna try some "extensive PT" before I let anyone
                                  do anymore cutting on my little one. If any of you have any
                                  suggestions on any unnessacary surgries or therapy to stay away from
                                  please share.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Brandon, Krystal, and Alexus Cleary
                                  --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, kathleen grover
                                  <katebythesea@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  ex husband was very abusive and so for the last 6 yrs. I also
                                  stuggled with that. Well sorry if I've bored you like I said I'm in
                                  need of friends.

                                  > Hope to hear from you soon
                                  >
                                  > NATALIE
                                  >

                                  > ladynailik <ladylucki@v...> wrote:
                                  > My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when
                                  they
                                  > new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
                                  > people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
                                  > indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
                                  > achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
                                  > this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
                                  > sharing my story.

                                  > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled
                                  vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

                                  Service.

                                  > ---------------------------------

                                  > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled
                                  vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

                                  Service.

                                  Service.

                                  > ---------------------------------

                                  Service.

                                  > ---------------------------------

                                  Service.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 5, 2006
                                    hello there i am replying to your message because i too had many surgerys as a young infant many cast i was also born with my legs crossed as if i were sitting in indian style. i was blessed that surgery was an option because with the help of leg braces i am able to get around much more than i would've and scooting on my booty was cool to but keep in mind that walking even with help is better.

                                    cavy2fast4u <cavy2fast4u@...> wrote: Kathleen

                                    <katebythesea@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    need of friends.

                                    > Hope to hear from you soon
                                    >
                                    > NATALIE
                                    >

                                    > ladynailik <ladylucki@v...> wrote:
                                    > My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when
                                    they
                                    > new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
                                    > people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
                                    > indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
                                    > achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
                                    > this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
                                    > sharing my story.

                                    > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled
                                    vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

                                    Service.

                                    > ---------------------------------

                                    > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled
                                    vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

                                    Service.

                                    > ---------------------------------

                                    Service.

                                    > ---------------------------------
                                    >

                                    > Veronica Barrett

                                    > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled
                                    vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

                                    Service.

                                    Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled vans Disabled products Disabled equipment

                                  • krystal andrews

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 5, 2006
                                        Carl,
                                        My story hmmm. Well as far as the AMC goes All of my limbs are moderatley affected. I have had 12 surgeries and years of PT. Dispite that I am completely independent. I walk and drive, pay rent and grocery shop, and all the other so called normal activities.
                                        Now onto the more important things. I currently teach preschool for autistic 3 and 4 year olds. It is a fantastic, rewarding, and exhausting job. I also go to grad school full time and Im pursuing a masters in early childhood special education.
                                        In my free time (ha ha) I love going out and meeting people and recently have found a new fixation at this paint your own pottery place. Is this a start?
                                        Jen

                                      • kathleen grover
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 5, 2006
                                          Hi Jen,

                                          My 5 yr.old great nephew is Autistic...I am helping my niece, a former teacher, with SEAMS, new support group she has started here in Placer County, CA It was started to raise awareness and improve the educational opportunities for all special need children and their parents. It is a huge undertaking that she has tackled with much positive feedback from the community and the school district as well.

                                          Kudos to you for making a difference in this world!

                                          Kathleen
                                          Lincoln, CA

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 8, 2006
                                            Thanx for the info.

                                            >From: Dan <dango727@...>
                                            >To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
                                            >Subject: Re: [Adults AMC] Hello =]
                                            >Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:16:06 -0500
                                            >
                                            >Wendy Hiatt wrote:
                                            > > I am also very independant, but I have other physical problems that are
                                            > > irritating the Arthrogryposis serverly. I was born in 1975. At that
                                            > > time
                                            > > there were only 5 cases in the United States. I was one of them. I
                                            > > would
                                            > > love to chat with you. Take care and God bless!
                                            > >
                                            > > Wendy
                                            >I was born in 1974 (birthday's coming up next week) and I know there's
                                            >several people on this list who are older than me, so I think you were
                                            >fed with some misinformation about the actual total of people with
                                            >arthrogryposis. According to stats, roughly 3000 are born with it each
                                            >year.
                                            >
                                            >--
                                            >Dan
                                            >http://www.dango727.com

                                          • Wendy Hiatt
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 8, 2006
                                              Nice to meet you.

                                              >From: Carl Avidano <cavidano@...>
                                              >To: <amc_adults@yahoogroups.com>
                                              >Subject: Re: [Adults AMC] Hello =]
                                              >Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:38:46 -0600
                                              >
                                              >Hello Wendy, I was also born with amc. I am 24. I live in omaha.
                                              >

                                              >From: "Wendy Hiatt" <WendyHiatt75@...>
                                              >Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:30:48 +0000
                                              >To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: RE: [Adults AMC] Hello =]
                                              >
                                              >I am also very independant, but I have other physical problems that are
                                              >irritating the Arthrogryposis serverly. I was born in 1975. At that time
                                              >there were only 5 cases in the United States. I was one of them. I would
                                              >love to chat with you. Take care and God bless!
                                              >
                                              >Wendy
                                              >

                                              > >From: "ladynailik" <ladylucki@...>
                                              > >To: amc_adults@yahoogroups.com
                                              > >Subject: [Adults AMC] Hello =]
                                              > >Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:22:23 -0000
                                              > >
                                              > >My name is Adrienne I was born with Arthrogryposis in 1979 when they
                                              > >new even less about this disability, I am just looking to chat with
                                              > >people who have Arthrogryposis or have children that do. I am very
                                              > >indipendant and live on my own with little assistance and I hope my
                                              > >achievements will bring hope to new parents with children that have
                                              > >this same condition. I am looking forward to meeting new people and
                                              > >sharing my story.

                                              > Disabled travel
                                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+travel&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=D
                                              >isabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+e
                                              >quipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=nVFKfoyrb9cRZ6Iza8FSHQ> Disabled lift
                                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+lift&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Dis
                                              >abled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equ
                                              >ipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=LV_qvOfUfanZ_grWZGWIHA> Disabled
                                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Disabled
                                              >+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equipmen
                                              >t&c=6&s=120&.sig=fRK43VGJ7xHg1mOfAHP4Ng>
                                              > Disabled vans
                                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+vans&w1=Disabled+travel&w2=Dis
                                              >abled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled+equ
                                              >ipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=FHDZFYQuAivEDHLtIx5KVQ> Disabled products
                                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+products&w1=Disabled+travel&w2
                                              >=Disabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disabled
                                              >+equipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=6J_Mm9GOOmoBmIbNmSzKVw> Disabled equipment
                                              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Disabled+equipment&w1=Disabled+travel&w
                                              >2=Disabled+lift&w3=Disabled&w4=Disabled+vans&w5=Disabled+products&w6=Disable
                                              >d+equipment&c=6&s=120&.sig=9Ud4eczeY6zIYYWla_eI_Q>
                                              >

                                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                              >"
                                              >on the web.
                                              >*
                                              >*
                                              >* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                              ><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                            • Ilyce
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 8, 2006
                                                Hello Wendy,

                                                Welcome to the group. My name is Ilyce, I live in IL, I'm 30 years old and I too have AMC. If you feel like chatting, just let me know.

                                                Ilyce

                                                Nice to meet you.