Re: [Adults AMC] Poll: AMC and Intelligence

  • kkamann@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2004
      Allyson's response make a lot of sense to me. I think that we, as a
      group, tend to be better problem solvers due to getting around our
      disabilities. Based by the different responses, I thinkwhether you
      are an introvert or extrovert most likely is based on something
      other than AMC (genes, upbringing, etc). I happen to be very
      outgoing and people oriented, but is my big mouth due to me
      compensating for my physical disability? You could argue either
      way. My sister (no AMC) is very outgoing as well. You could also
      argue, either way, that being shy or introverted is a result of
      withdrawing because of disability, or because of genes. I think
      that our personalities are still given to us by our parents,
      mostly. Although our life experiences (i.e. dealing with AMC) also
      shape us. Aw, heck, I dunno.

      As for grades, especially high school, I think how well one does in
      school is more a measure of self-discipline than intelligence. I've
      found that very few subjects are too difficult to actually
      comprehend. It's just a matter of applying oneself and doing the
      homework (which I didn't do very well). This can be difficult
      especially if the subject is boring or you don't connect with the
      teacher. Getting a good teacher helps alot.

      As far as jobs, I am a fairly well-paid budget analyst for Uncle
      Sam, and graduated college with an accounting degree. I guess you
      could call it a technical field, but in reality, I am really good at
      pushing a lot of paper.
    • Allyson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2004
        hi its me again I'm having a an emailing night here tonight. i have another question i would like to put out here. I'm a senior in college with a soon to be B.S. in management with a Minor in management information systems. i am starting to look for internships and was wondering how those of you that have professional jobs were (for lack of a better word) judged when it came to having a disability? were employers open to you or questioning your ability to get the job done? also, I'm very much hoping to land a government job. i know its the one way i will have health insurance and good benefits. have any of you had any experience with getting a government job? and were all health things pretty well covered? sorry for sending so many separate emails tonight, i think this is my last email for tonight.

        thanks again
        Allyson
        kkamann@... wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qjru2m/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088571170/A=2139633/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104yahoo_300x250_1oop_v2.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qjru2m/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088571170/A=2139633/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104con2_300x250_20k.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 28, 2004
          Government job....hhhhmmm. Health insurance, not a problem, they
          have to cover you like everyone else. However like everyone else,
          premiums are going up, while coverage is going down. You can check
          out the different federal health plans (for employees) in your state
          at www.opm.gov.

          Like a lot people, I was lucky enough to know someone in the right
          position to get a permanent job out of college. However, I got my
          foot in the door in high school in what the government calls
          the "Stay-In-School" program, but it is up to the agency's local
          office and hiring programs if it is available. It is a program for
          disadvantaged students either physically or demographically. You
          still have to apply and be interviewed, but it is not nearly as
          competitive. If they aren't hiring, they aren't hiring. It is
          really dependent on what the local management thinks about program
          at the time. It changes from time to time based on new presidential
          administrations and budget shortfalls. I work for the Department of
          Energy in Richland, WA, and they do not have the Stay in school
          program anymore, because someone thinks we are overstaffed in
          Richland, and our management doens't put a high value on it right
          now.

          For college students, there is also the co-op program. This is not
          disadvantaged specific, so it is much more competitive. The local
          office, again, would have to be running the program, and have the
          budget for it. You typically find out about co-op opportunities at
          job fairs at your college or university. The nice thing about a co-
          op position, is that if you keep up the grades and graduate, they
          will hire full-time you when you graduate. A lot of times, they
          will even pay for some of your tuition, if it has a nexus to your
          job.

          Perhaps your best bet for a government job, is to apply for what
          they call a "disabled excepted-service appointment". What this
          means is that they can hire you non-competitively, if you meet the
          requirements for the job. You still get all the insurances and
          benefits as a competitive appointment. If you get the job, you will
          be under a probationary-type period for about a year or two. After
          this period, they will automatically convert you to a "competitive"-
          type of appointment, which in governmenteez, means your are a full-
          fledged government employee, and less vulnerable in a layoff
          situation, which is rare in the government. You must remember that
          this only ALLOWS them to hire you non-competitively, not requires
          them to do so. Like the real world, if a hiring official wants
          someone in mind, they will work to make it happen.

          For available government jobs, go to WWW.USAJOBS.COM. There is also
          information for disabled applicants there. If you find a job you
          would like to apply for, contact the name on the announcement. Tell
          them you would like to apply under a disability appointment. They
          should help you apply and give you more information about the
          agencies hiring practices for disabled folks. Plus, it puts them on
          notice that a disabled applicant may be on the way. You will also
          need a certification of disability ahead of time. The web site can
          tell you how to get that as well.
        • Lisa Johns
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
            Hi Everyone,

            My IQ was last tested my senior year of high school by Voc. Rehab. They later told me that my score was 137. I did not even ask if that meant slow, normal, or high. I kind of got through high school by a "thread." I was never good at math - especially word problems. I always knew that I was not giving it all I had, however, I always felt stupid too.
            When I began college it seemed as though someone turned the light on in my head. I thoroughly enjoyed college, & maintained a 3.0 average. In this large University, I didn't notice all the "stare's & whisper's" which always made me feel very uncomfortable, & always took my mind off of class.
            I do feel smart & gifted by God. However, I DO NOT feel any smarter or gifted than anyone else, & would not lable myself a genuis because of a number on a test. There are many who just have a much harder time w/ test taking. Just my thought's.

            Lisa J.

            jingai <jingai@...> wrote:
            > This may be like asking the choir if they can sing well, but here is
            > my question. My orthopedic surgeon has told told me that people
            > with AMC generally have higher IQs/intelligence. Do you think that
            > is true, or was he just being nice? Does anyone have any data that
            > would support/refute this? Do you feel like you may be smarter than
            > the average person? Maybe this self-ingratiating poll will provide
            > some validation.

            I remember my doctor saying the same thing after I fixed his computer for him
            when I was about 10 years old, but I'm not sure where he got his data. I'd say
            you'd be hard pressed to even find a doctor that knows how to treat AMC than a
            person (let alone a doctor) that has enough statistical data gathered to say
            whether or not AMC patients grow to be smarter individuals.

            However, he was of the opinion because he had treated many patients with AMC,
            and most that he knew went on to pursue technical careers. In his eyes, that
            made them all brilliant. However, I don't think he really believes his "study"
            was conclusive. Still, it's a nice thing to say to a patient.

            One thing I have observed -- which is also not a conclusive study -- is that
            *anyone* that has a tendancy to be more reclusive during the all-important
            younger years when the brain is still developing will learn more than the
            average person. This doesn't imply that the person is disabled, but perhaps
            overweight, unsightly, or whatever it is that might make him/her feel like less
            of a person to his/her peers. The point is, though, that more disabled people
            tend to have less self esteem and therefore pursue academics more often for fun
            or as a way of compensation for their lack of physical talents. Not to mention
            a lot of them may not be capable of participating in other 'normal' activities
            with the other kids, such as football, bike riding, etc.

            As a disclaimer, I'm *not* saying all disabled people have a lack of
            self-esteem; rather, it's just likely that it's more common. So please refrain
            from flaming. ^^;

            -j

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293mlq0r/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088548672/A=2139633/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104yahoo_300x250_1oop_v2.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293mlq0r/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088548672/A=2139633/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104con2_300x250_20k.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

            ~ It is because we are determined, not flawless, that we can attain perfection.

          • SUSAN MCKEON
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
              I only have anectdotal evidence. My husband of 53 is a designer who works at a computer all day, and he is way above average, intelligent, handsome and unusually kind. I think when people have a deficit in one area, others develop. I am terrible at math, but I have unusually good language skills. I was a teacher for thirty five years and never paid a lot of attentions to I Qs or tests. Most people are gifted in some area, they just need development. Labels give kids complexes and hurt their self-esteem. Unfortunately to get any special service money in the schools labels have to be placed. I have learned from my miraculous husband,( who weighed two pounds at birth in a time when most babies of that weight did not survive, )that you try to do anything until your body limits you. Do not let your mind limit or or what people say you can do limit you. My husband puts brakes on his van, walks sometimes unaided, sometimes with a walker, sometimes in a wheelchair, depending on the distance and grade of the walk. He raced go carts as a boy. His mom never told him what he couldn't or shouldn't do, so he tried everything.

              Society limits people by refusal to make places accessible enough, but people should not limit themselves. We are going to take up kayaking which is a good sport for those who have arm strength, which he does. Each person's physical complications are different. Know however that there are no limits to the mind, and with the computer people with Amc can be poets, writers, designers, historians, scientists of all kinds, and things I haven't even dreamed of. My husband teaches me what he can do, and he seems to let his own body tell him. He never listens to anyone else. I think attitude is an amazing variable. I just stand back and watch him in amazement.
              Some things he can't do such as carrying bags of groceries, I do, but then I can't put brakes on a car.
              Define yourself,
              Best Regards,
              Susan Steinmann