Re: [Adults AMC] Poll: AMC and Intelligence

  • tucmum@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2004
      In a message dated 6/27/04 8:12:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, JRTowner@...
      writes:

      > I think that we take test well. Most of us read more since we can't run
      > around on bikes and skates. So we learn more vocabulary. Since we are
      > around
      > adults more, I think we pick more adult things. We tend to sound like little
      >
      > adults instead of little kids.
      >
      > Some of us feel better off in solitary positions because we don't have to
      > explain or continually prove ourselves. So we tend to do "nerdy" things
      > that
      > don't require others. I think if all kids were placed in a learning
      > environment
      > with less distractions their IQ scores would show improvement.
      >
      > Denise

      Denise,
      I believe you hit the nail on the head on this one. My son is called by all
      the teachers a "sponge" saying he sits still listens and takes it all in unlike
      class mates that are always messing around and tring to get her attition.
      My self I kinda love that fact that my six year old enjoys to read and will
      sit for hours and do that and play chess with me or dad. But yea that is
      Normally called "NERDY" things to do.
      Traci Tuckers mom

    • kkamann@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2004
        Allyson's response make a lot of sense to me. I think that we, as a
        group, tend to be better problem solvers due to getting around our
        disabilities. Based by the different responses, I thinkwhether you
        are an introvert or extrovert most likely is based on something
        other than AMC (genes, upbringing, etc). I happen to be very
        outgoing and people oriented, but is my big mouth due to me
        compensating for my physical disability? You could argue either
        way. My sister (no AMC) is very outgoing as well. You could also
        argue, either way, that being shy or introverted is a result of
        withdrawing because of disability, or because of genes. I think
        that our personalities are still given to us by our parents,
        mostly. Although our life experiences (i.e. dealing with AMC) also
        shape us. Aw, heck, I dunno.

        As for grades, especially high school, I think how well one does in
        school is more a measure of self-discipline than intelligence. I've
        found that very few subjects are too difficult to actually
        comprehend. It's just a matter of applying oneself and doing the
        homework (which I didn't do very well). This can be difficult
        especially if the subject is boring or you don't connect with the
        teacher. Getting a good teacher helps alot.

        As far as jobs, I am a fairly well-paid budget analyst for Uncle
        Sam, and graduated college with an accounting degree. I guess you
        could call it a technical field, but in reality, I am really good at
        pushing a lot of paper.
      • Allyson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 28, 2004
          hi its me again I'm having a an emailing night here tonight. i have another question i would like to put out here. I'm a senior in college with a soon to be B.S. in management with a Minor in management information systems. i am starting to look for internships and was wondering how those of you that have professional jobs were (for lack of a better word) judged when it came to having a disability? were employers open to you or questioning your ability to get the job done? also, I'm very much hoping to land a government job. i know its the one way i will have health insurance and good benefits. have any of you had any experience with getting a government job? and were all health things pretty well covered? sorry for sending so many separate emails tonight, i think this is my last email for tonight.

          thanks again
          Allyson
          kkamann@... wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qjru2m/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088571170/A=2139633/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104yahoo_300x250_1oop_v2.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qjru2m/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088571170/A=2139633/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104con2_300x250_20k.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 28, 2004
            Government job....hhhhmmm. Health insurance, not a problem, they
            have to cover you like everyone else. However like everyone else,
            premiums are going up, while coverage is going down. You can check
            out the different federal health plans (for employees) in your state
            at www.opm.gov.

            Like a lot people, I was lucky enough to know someone in the right
            position to get a permanent job out of college. However, I got my
            foot in the door in high school in what the government calls
            the "Stay-In-School" program, but it is up to the agency's local
            office and hiring programs if it is available. It is a program for
            disadvantaged students either physically or demographically. You
            still have to apply and be interviewed, but it is not nearly as
            competitive. If they aren't hiring, they aren't hiring. It is
            really dependent on what the local management thinks about program
            at the time. It changes from time to time based on new presidential
            administrations and budget shortfalls. I work for the Department of
            Energy in Richland, WA, and they do not have the Stay in school
            program anymore, because someone thinks we are overstaffed in
            Richland, and our management doens't put a high value on it right
            now.

            For college students, there is also the co-op program. This is not
            disadvantaged specific, so it is much more competitive. The local
            office, again, would have to be running the program, and have the
            budget for it. You typically find out about co-op opportunities at
            job fairs at your college or university. The nice thing about a co-
            op position, is that if you keep up the grades and graduate, they
            will hire full-time you when you graduate. A lot of times, they
            will even pay for some of your tuition, if it has a nexus to your
            job.

            Perhaps your best bet for a government job, is to apply for what
            they call a "disabled excepted-service appointment". What this
            means is that they can hire you non-competitively, if you meet the
            requirements for the job. You still get all the insurances and
            benefits as a competitive appointment. If you get the job, you will
            be under a probationary-type period for about a year or two. After
            this period, they will automatically convert you to a "competitive"-
            type of appointment, which in governmenteez, means your are a full-
            fledged government employee, and less vulnerable in a layoff
            situation, which is rare in the government. You must remember that
            this only ALLOWS them to hire you non-competitively, not requires
            them to do so. Like the real world, if a hiring official wants
            someone in mind, they will work to make it happen.

            For available government jobs, go to WWW.USAJOBS.COM. There is also
            information for disabled applicants there. If you find a job you
            would like to apply for, contact the name on the announcement. Tell
            them you would like to apply under a disability appointment. They
            should help you apply and give you more information about the
            agencies hiring practices for disabled folks. Plus, it puts them on
            notice that a disabled applicant may be on the way. You will also
            need a certification of disability ahead of time. The web site can
            tell you how to get that as well.
          • Lisa Johns
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
              Hi Everyone,

              My IQ was last tested my senior year of high school by Voc. Rehab. They later told me that my score was 137. I did not even ask if that meant slow, normal, or high. I kind of got through high school by a "thread." I was never good at math - especially word problems. I always knew that I was not giving it all I had, however, I always felt stupid too.
              When I began college it seemed as though someone turned the light on in my head. I thoroughly enjoyed college, & maintained a 3.0 average. In this large University, I didn't notice all the "stare's & whisper's" which always made me feel very uncomfortable, & always took my mind off of class.
              I do feel smart & gifted by God. However, I DO NOT feel any smarter or gifted than anyone else, & would not lable myself a genuis because of a number on a test. There are many who just have a much harder time w/ test taking. Just my thought's.

              Lisa J.

              jingai <jingai@...> wrote:
              > This may be like asking the choir if they can sing well, but here is
              > my question. My orthopedic surgeon has told told me that people
              > with AMC generally have higher IQs/intelligence. Do you think that
              > is true, or was he just being nice? Does anyone have any data that
              > would support/refute this? Do you feel like you may be smarter than
              > the average person? Maybe this self-ingratiating poll will provide
              > some validation.

              I remember my doctor saying the same thing after I fixed his computer for him
              when I was about 10 years old, but I'm not sure where he got his data. I'd say
              you'd be hard pressed to even find a doctor that knows how to treat AMC than a
              person (let alone a doctor) that has enough statistical data gathered to say
              whether or not AMC patients grow to be smarter individuals.

              However, he was of the opinion because he had treated many patients with AMC,
              and most that he knew went on to pursue technical careers. In his eyes, that
              made them all brilliant. However, I don't think he really believes his "study"
              was conclusive. Still, it's a nice thing to say to a patient.

              One thing I have observed -- which is also not a conclusive study -- is that
              *anyone* that has a tendancy to be more reclusive during the all-important
              younger years when the brain is still developing will learn more than the
              average person. This doesn't imply that the person is disabled, but perhaps
              overweight, unsightly, or whatever it is that might make him/her feel like less
              of a person to his/her peers. The point is, though, that more disabled people
              tend to have less self esteem and therefore pursue academics more often for fun
              or as a way of compensation for their lack of physical talents. Not to mention
              a lot of them may not be capable of participating in other 'normal' activities
              with the other kids, such as football, bike riding, etc.

              As a disclaimer, I'm *not* saying all disabled people have a lack of
              self-esteem; rather, it's just likely that it's more common. So please refrain
              from flaming. ^^;

              -j

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293mlq0r/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088548672/A=2139633/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104yahoo_300x250_1oop_v2.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293mlq0r/M=292052.4796528.6085134.4681303/D=groups/S=1705013481:HM/EXP=1088548672/A=2139633/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=11k5seevg/*https://www.independencenow.com/iglideinfo/yg.html";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/jo/johnson_johnson/051104con2_300x250_20k.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

              ~ It is because we are determined, not flawless, that we can attain perfection.

            • SUSAN MCKEON
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
                I only have anectdotal evidence. My husband of 53 is a designer who works at a computer all day, and he is way above average, intelligent, handsome and unusually kind. I think when people have a deficit in one area, others develop. I am terrible at math, but I have unusually good language skills. I was a teacher for thirty five years and never paid a lot of attentions to I Qs or tests. Most people are gifted in some area, they just need development. Labels give kids complexes and hurt their self-esteem. Unfortunately to get any special service money in the schools labels have to be placed. I have learned from my miraculous husband,( who weighed two pounds at birth in a time when most babies of that weight did not survive, )that you try to do anything until your body limits you. Do not let your mind limit or or what people say you can do limit you. My husband puts brakes on his van, walks sometimes unaided, sometimes with a walker, sometimes in a wheelchair, depending on the distance and grade of the walk. He raced go carts as a boy. His mom never told him what he couldn't or shouldn't do, so he tried everything.

                Society limits people by refusal to make places accessible enough, but people should not limit themselves. We are going to take up kayaking which is a good sport for those who have arm strength, which he does. Each person's physical complications are different. Know however that there are no limits to the mind, and with the computer people with Amc can be poets, writers, designers, historians, scientists of all kinds, and things I haven't even dreamed of. My husband teaches me what he can do, and he seems to let his own body tell him. He never listens to anyone else. I think attitude is an amazing variable. I just stand back and watch him in amazement.
                Some things he can't do such as carrying bags of groceries, I do, but then I can't put brakes on a car.
                Define yourself,
                Best Regards,
                Susan Steinmann