Re: [Adults AMC] What's up - New Member -

  • Allyson Haar
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 29, 2004
      hey ya'll

      while we happen to be talking about improving muscle strength i got some questions along the same lines. i had tons and tons of therapy when i was younger, i'm very greatful for it. because of all the therapy i had i didn't need to have any major surgary other then to repair club feet. however i am having a grat deal of trouble whit my hand these days. i'm having tons of cramping when typing writing and muscle twiching in my sleep and pretty much when ever they have the urge to. its driving me insane. i don't have a great deal of flextion in my wrists but the both go straight to about 180 degrees. for the most part my fringers are also straight. my question is has anyone had any hand surgary to improve their flextion and it work or does and one know of any good wasy through therapy like things to improve strength and flextion? i'm a computer info systems college major so i place great deal of need on my hands and can't afford to loss any ability i have all ready. at the same
      time i'm worried and over doing them and messing them up real badly. any in put anyone can give me would be of a great help.

      thank you,
      allyson age 23 from LA

      P.S. very sorry for any really badly miss spelled words its around 4 am here.

      moby324 <moby324@...> wrote:
      Lori -

      Do you know what the likelyhood of rebuilding a life-long atrophied
      muscle (bicep) would be through regular excercise? My left bicep is
      thin, but present. Flexion from 180 degrees is about 60-70% with no
      additional weight. My right bicep is fully developed and I would
      like to get them as closest to matching as possible as it would
      improve overall balance and ambidexterity. I'd rather develop it
      over time than mess with surgery. I know you can't really ethically
      dispense medical advice, but as you said, informmation is scarce and
      is unique to each case studied. Anything you could give me would be
      great.

      Andy

      --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "Lorie Short" <pediatricota@h...>

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

    • Bruce Beller
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 24 1:55 PM
        Hi Lori,

        We have a daughter with AMC who is 17 who has been followed since birth at
        CHOP in Philadelphia, and
        Dupont in Wilmington. So your comment about lack of info for PT/OT's hit
        home.

        You might find 'Physical Therapy for Children' by Suzann Campbell useful for
        AMC and other conditions. It has a full
        chapter written by two of the PT at Dupont who help run the AMC clinic. They
        have a depth of experience.

        Additionally, Hunter, Mackin & Callahan's Rehabilitation of the Hand and
        Upper Extremity (2 Volume Set)
        By Evelyn J. Mackin, Anne D. Callahan, A. Lee Osterman, Terri M. Skirven,
        Lawrence H. Schneider, Hunter, Robert R. Rich
        addresses AMC also - Osterman and Schneider are in a hand practice which has
        followed many AMC kids and adults, Terri is their
        head OT.

        Feel free to contact me off list if you like or would like to contact these
        folks.

        Bruce Beller
        I work in a pediatric occupational therapy clinic and have had the
        pleasure
        of working with a little girl with AMC. We work really hard to increase
        her
        range of motion and use weights to help strengthen her upper extremities.
        She underwent a tricep to bicep transfer last year and we wanted to