Re: [Adults AMC] Digest Number 441

  • David
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
      --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, JRTowner@a... wrote:
      > I've read somewhere that AMC kids have to be watched closer while
      using
      > anesthesia. It takes less anesthesia for us to go under and is
      harder for us to
      > come out of it. I know its true for me even as an adult.
      >
      > Denise
      > JRT's Rule

      This is a bit strange for me to see, I have been through 29 major
      surgeries, 24 of them befor the age of 16( I will be 47 in a few
      days) and the problem that I had/have with anasthetic isnt that it
      takes less to work on me , its that it usually take 2-3 times
      the "normal" and I can no longer use the gas type of
      anasthetics...they simply dont work or make me so sick that its not
      worth the time it takes(because my recovery time from gas is usually
      2-3 days, instead of hours)Also, as we discovered in the last few
      months, I am extremely difficult to start an IV on, in the last year
      I have had 2 more surgeries, both routine( My teeth pulled, and then
      a bone reduction on my jaw in prep for dentures) in both cases I
      wound up with central lines put it( in my neck) and on the 2nd surg,
      they tried for just about 2 hours b4 giving up in the surgery room
      and sending me home to try again on another day. This was done at a
      major teaching medical facility, that even the head of the
      anasthesiology department couldnt get it started.
      And one mre thing that I learned is that we, AMC people tend to have
      a higher bone density, and (in my case ) thicker bone in the jaw.

      Anyway, just my $.02 worth
      David
    • Allyson Haar
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
        hi david,

        i also have trouble with needing more then then usual my recovery time is still normal. i got my wisdom teath out 2 years ago and wound up waking up 2x in the middle of it. also i saw you were saying something about the jaw bones. i was wondering if you know anything about TMJ with amc? is jaw problems like this normal in amc?

        Allyson