Re: [Adults AMC] Question about handwriting and hands aching

  • davidb62@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
      When I was in grade school it was suggested thatI get a micro-cassette tape recorder and record my classes. I would still take notes, but if I got behind, I would leave a space on the page and pick up the missing sections in the evening when playing back the tape. Not all teachers like to be recorded so, you'll have to check with them and perhaps the principal.

      Good Luck
      David
    • FrogLegs611@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
        Over the years, I have changed the way I hold my pencil. Maybe that could
        help your daughter's hand pain. Also, pencils are much easier for me to use
        than an ink pen. In college, I learned to abbreviate a lot. Sometimes I took my
        own notes and sometimes I would get them from someone else. Practice really
        did help me to get better. As a child, my mom stayed on my case to have nice
        handwriting. I'm glad she did, because people compliment me on it often.

        Lisa

      • Paul Garrett
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
          I found the same thing happening to me. My mom ended up teaching me how to type. Even though my hand are shaped where I cannot "properly touch type", I developed a form of hunt and peck, but positioned my hands over the keys where I would remember where they are without have to look. My mom talked to my teacher about turning in assignments typed instead of written. I still did some work handwritten, it was about 50/50. Eventually my endurance increased "in my time" and I was able to write for longer periods without tiring.

          In the long run, it worked out great, because they invented personal computers and everyone around me needed to learn to type too. :o) I now use the computer for about 80% of my job.

          In addition as I got older, I found it was easier, not only on my hands but for people to read, to print instead of write.

          I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Always available to help.

          Paul Garrett
          Santa Cruz, CA