hi all

  • HEATHER
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2003
      Well of course your right Audiohound the only way we are all going to
      lose weight is to exercise, I hardly eat anything, and i know its the
      lack of exercise thats causing me to put on the extra pounds. But its
      not easy, ive never met a doctor or physio yet that knows of amc, and
      the last physio i went to practically gave up and told me to do leg
      raises at home, as i couldnt use any of the exercise machines, ive
      stiff and weak arms and legs, i just couldnt manage anything. When i
      was a child my mom used to massage my legs and get me to do little
      exercises, picking up marbles with my toes and putting them in a pot
      etc, and later she made me ride an exercise bike for 1 mile a day,
      and its thanks to her that i walked, left home and had a life. When i
      was born 40 years ago the doctors said id never walk, but she never
      gave up on me, and as if by fate she found out about a professor in
      Liverpool, (about 200 miles from where we lived) who knew about amc,
      so she took me to see him, i was only a baby then, and over the years
      i had various ops on my feet, knees and hip. My right foot was
      completely round the wrong way and upside down, so he did a
      marvellous job of putting it right, although its very rigid and i
      have a lot of trouble finding shoes to fit, but thats another topic,
      lol.Sorry ive drifted, my point was i wish id have carried on with
      the exercise bike, i cant get the pedals round now as my hips got
      that stiff, but when youre a teenager you know it all, and you dont
      think about the future, but thats life, lol.
      Heather
    • jingai
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2003
        > ive stiff and weak arms and legs, i just couldnt manage anything.

        Perhaps if you spent some time several times per week simply stretching it
        might help. For exercise, I typically swim (once/day), but if that is not an
        option, I have found that simply stretching is something of a workout for me
        as my limited range of motion forces me to work a little just to stretch the
        muscles (especially in my arms). It does help with range of motion immensely,
        in my case. Also, if I stretch for about 15 minutes before swimming, I find I
        can spend more time in the pool. I can swim for about one hour (constant) if
        I stretch first. Otherwise, I will usually run out of breath and/or strength
        in roughly 30 minutes.

        Start easy like this, but do it often, and perhaps you'll find that later on
        you can handle more of a 'real' workout following the stretching sessions.

        -jonathan
      • HEATHER
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12 9:04 AM
          Its interesting reading all the postings, as different countries do
          seem to have various degrees of help from the state. Im lucky as in
          the UK disabled people get extra money to help them get around, and
          the health service is free to all, although the waiting lists can be
          very long. I tried to drive when i was 17 but i think my reactions
          are too slow, but im thinking of having another go now im 40 as it
          would be so useful. I get taxis everywhere and they cost a lot. Id
          have to get an adapted car as my right leg is very stiff. Has anyone
          else managed to learn, id like to hear your stories, as im in two
          minds what to do. Thanks Heather
        • Andy M.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22 11:20 PM
            Hello Heather,I was told when I was young that I could never drive.I
            am afected in my hips,knees and feet as far as driving goes.My brther
            gave me ma hunk of junk car of his.I started out in BIG parking lots
            while the store was closed.When I got confidant in my driving.I
            started going on back(side)streets at first at late night when no
            traffic was around.Again as I gained conffidance I started driving
            around people.Then started practicing to take the driving test.I
            passed.Iam not recommending driving with out a licance.Just simply
            telling you how I did it.For the lastcouple of years of my job I
            drove a semi-truck with an elecric clutch on the shifter,foot only
            needed for gas and brake.with all my driving I only needed to have
            the seat properly set for me.Most of the time a little modification
            to the seat it's self.I dont know if you can drive or not,BUT I know
            nobody can do anything they dont try.Best of luck to you.feel free to
            email me and let me know how it goes for you.U>N>T>(Until Next Time)
            Andy of Yuma,Az.--- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "HEATHER"
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 23 10:22 AM
              On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 06:20:40 -0000
              "Andy M." <amm357usa1@...> wrote:

              > For the lastcouple of years of my job I
              > drove a semi-truck with an elecric clutch on the shifter,foot only
              > needed for gas and brake.

              Oooohh... I have never heard of this. I can't believe I never thought of it
              either.. I presume it's a hydrolic mechanism activated by a trigger button?

              Now I'm having thoughts of trading in my automatic Z3 roadster for an MZ3
              roadster.. Ahh, 315bhp.. I bet I could have that mod done fairly cheaply, too.
              AFAIK, post '95 BMW manual trannies already have an electronically controlled
              clutch, but it's still a foot pedal and I never thought to rewire it to a
              button. Although, their automatic transmissions can be used in manual modes,
              but you still have to wait for the computer to decide whether or not to allow
              the shift, ie, if I popped it into 3rd from 4th at 4000 RPMs, it'd force me to
              wait 'till I dropped to about 3.5k then actually perform the shift. And even
              if I'm within the tolerable range, there's still a small delay. Plus, getting
              rid of the power-sucking torque converter would be nice ;)

              Anyway, thanks for the idea :P

              > with all my driving I only needed to have
              > the seat properly set for me. Most of the time a little modification
              > to the seat it's self.

              Bingo. I always try to tell people to simply try moving things around first
              in an unmodified car and *drive it for a while*. My previous car, an '00
              Toyota Celica GT was really funky to drive the first time off the lot. But,
              the sales lady was kind and patient enough to let me take it out multiple
              times with different seat/wheel settings, until I finally found a position for
              both the seat and wheel that worked for me.

              I bought my BMW Z3 sight unseen, but as it turns out, it's been, hands down,
              the easiest car for me to drive. I autocross the car regularly, and while I
              haven't ever won, I do keep up :) Next up is to take it to the track..

              The steering wheel doesn't tilt nor telescope, which I was worried about, but
              it just so happens it's in the perfect position. The seats go up and down
              roughly 6" or so, and back to front about 12". Some people have found even
              this range of settings to be too constrained and do simple 10 minute mods like
              stuffing a stack of pennies under the front seat pegs to raise it. All you
              really have to do is be a little creative :)

              With the seat up about half way, and forward about 3/4 of the way, I can drive
              the car perfectly. The only mod I made was to replace the steering wheel, as
              it was a huge 15" wheel that was somewhat tough to deal with (not just for me,
              I've talked to lots of other Z3 owners without disabilities who feel the
              same), so I swapped it with a 13.5" Momo Millenium.

              Since then, the plethora of other mods have been either for performance or
              cosmetic, or both ;)

              > I dont know if you can drive or not,BUT I know nobody can do
              > anything they dont try.

              Beautifully f_cking illustrated :)

              -jonathan