Re: Jerry

  • jtrenblv
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2003
      Dear Jen H:

      Thanks for writing, but are you sure you aren't my wife writing under
      an assumed name? (j/k)

      My wife is very much into healthy eating and healthy cooking (and
      she's a darned good cook) as well as homeopathic medical
      treatements. However, even she is in a quandry on this one and is
      starting to lean toward stomach surgery.

      I seem to be on something of a downward spiral, which my wife has
      witnessed during the 16+ years of our marriage. The heavier I get,
      the more my muscles and joints hurt. The more they hurt, the less I
      use them. The less I use them, the more sedentary I become. The
      more sedentary I become, the heavier I get. The spiral has gotten
      worse in the past five years or so.

      Frankly, although I need to lose 120 pounds overall, if I were 60
      pounds lighter, I think your system would work well. However, I have
      to get that initial "jolt" of losing 60 pounds or so. Once I did
      that, I'm sure I could use more moderate means such as those you've
      suggested, because I'd be able to do at least some exercising.

      I'm fortunate in that my boss (of 20+ years) supports me in this
      endeavor, although he is pushing the stomach surgery. He's willing
      to allow me to "tele-commute" for several months if need be to solve
      this issue, but he wants to be certain that I am not going to be in
      roughly the same condition in several months that I'm in right now.
      Me, too.

      Question: what kind of exercises do you use? Have you ever had to
      LOSE weight (as opposed to keeping it off in the first place)? If
      so, what did you do?

      Thanks again for your help (and for listening).

      JERRY

      --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "rnjhamp" <rnjhamp@y...> wrote:
      > Hello. I am 29 years old female from VA with AMC. I walk
      completely
      > unaided. I exercise 4 times a week and I try to eat healthy, not
      > diet. I have found that exercise keeps me agile and in shape and I
      > feel better. I don't know anyone who has had the stomach surgery
      so
      > I would recommend diet and exercise. I don't condone "diets" but
      > choose to eat helathy. Meaning I get one helping at meals unless
      it
      > is salad. For the munchies I try to stick with fruits, vegetables,
      > pretzels, popcorn, or Slim Fast(Weight Watchers) bars. I drink
      lots
      > of water thru-out the day. But if I feel like eating a pizza I
      do.
      > I don't deny myself fattening, "comfort" food. I just don't eat it
      > all the time, every day. I eat 3 meals a day, drink Coke or the
      like
      > with lunch. Anyway, good luck and welcome to our diverse,
      supportive
      > group.
      >
      > jen H.
    • rnjhamp
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2003
        I personally ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes once a week, do
        low impact aerobics twice a week and do weight machines once a week.
        Have you tried swimming or any kind of water exercise? I've heard
        that is easier on muscles and joints. There is a lady at my pool who
        walks the lap lane twenty laps a few days a week instead of
        swimming. She can hardly walk on land without pain but in the water
        she can move easier. In the end it's up to you. I've also heard
        the "Atkins Diet" is a great way to jolt your body into losing some
        weight quickly. It is not supposed to be a long term diet, just up
        to 1 - 1.5 months without carbohydrates and then going off it and
        exercising and eating healthier. Just a few ideas.

        Jen H.