RE: Jerry

  • rnjhamp
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2003
      Hello. I am 29 years old female from VA with AMC. I walk completely
      unaided. I exercise 4 times a week and I try to eat healthy, not
      diet. I have found that exercise keeps me agile and in shape and I
      feel better. I don't know anyone who has had the stomach surgery so
      I would recommend diet and exercise. I don't condone "diets" but
      choose to eat helathy. Meaning I get one helping at meals unless it
      is salad. For the munchies I try to stick with fruits, vegetables,
      pretzels, popcorn, or Slim Fast(Weight Watchers) bars. I drink lots
      of water thru-out the day. But if I feel like eating a pizza I do.
      I don't deny myself fattening, "comfort" food. I just don't eat it
      all the time, every day. I eat 3 meals a day, drink Coke or the like
      with lunch. Anyway, good luck and welcome to our diverse, supportive
      group.

      jen H.
    • jtrenblv
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2003
        Dear Jen H:

        Thanks for writing, but are you sure you aren't my wife writing under
        an assumed name? (j/k)

        My wife is very much into healthy eating and healthy cooking (and
        she's a darned good cook) as well as homeopathic medical
        treatements. However, even she is in a quandry on this one and is
        starting to lean toward stomach surgery.

        I seem to be on something of a downward spiral, which my wife has
        witnessed during the 16+ years of our marriage. The heavier I get,
        the more my muscles and joints hurt. The more they hurt, the less I
        use them. The less I use them, the more sedentary I become. The
        more sedentary I become, the heavier I get. The spiral has gotten
        worse in the past five years or so.

        Frankly, although I need to lose 120 pounds overall, if I were 60
        pounds lighter, I think your system would work well. However, I have
        to get that initial "jolt" of losing 60 pounds or so. Once I did
        that, I'm sure I could use more moderate means such as those you've
        suggested, because I'd be able to do at least some exercising.

        I'm fortunate in that my boss (of 20+ years) supports me in this
        endeavor, although he is pushing the stomach surgery. He's willing
        to allow me to "tele-commute" for several months if need be to solve
        this issue, but he wants to be certain that I am not going to be in
        roughly the same condition in several months that I'm in right now.
        Me, too.

        Question: what kind of exercises do you use? Have you ever had to
        LOSE weight (as opposed to keeping it off in the first place)? If
        so, what did you do?

        Thanks again for your help (and for listening).

        JERRY

        --- In amc_adults@yahoogroups.com, "rnjhamp" <rnjhamp@y...> wrote:
        > Hello. I am 29 years old female from VA with AMC. I walk
        completely
        > unaided. I exercise 4 times a week and I try to eat healthy, not
        > diet. I have found that exercise keeps me agile and in shape and I
        > feel better. I don't know anyone who has had the stomach surgery
        so
        > I would recommend diet and exercise. I don't condone "diets" but
        > choose to eat helathy. Meaning I get one helping at meals unless
        it
        > is salad. For the munchies I try to stick with fruits, vegetables,
        > pretzels, popcorn, or Slim Fast(Weight Watchers) bars. I drink
        lots
        > of water thru-out the day. But if I feel like eating a pizza I
        do.
        > I don't deny myself fattening, "comfort" food. I just don't eat it
        > all the time, every day. I eat 3 meals a day, drink Coke or the
        like
        > with lunch. Anyway, good luck and welcome to our diverse,
        supportive
        > group.
        >
        > jen H.
      • rnjhamp
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2003
          I personally ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes once a week, do
          low impact aerobics twice a week and do weight machines once a week.
          Have you tried swimming or any kind of water exercise? I've heard
          that is easier on muscles and joints. There is a lady at my pool who
          walks the lap lane twenty laps a few days a week instead of
          swimming. She can hardly walk on land without pain but in the water
          she can move easier. In the end it's up to you. I've also heard
          the "Atkins Diet" is a great way to jolt your body into losing some
          weight quickly. It is not supposed to be a long term diet, just up
          to 1 - 1.5 months without carbohydrates and then going off it and
          exercising and eating healthier. Just a few ideas.

          Jen H.