Re: [Adults AMC] Asking For Help

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2003
      Dan,

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2003
        ok guys I'm sorry about the post that just said Dan, MANNN i am losin my
        mind!!! I accidently hit send b4 I even wrote!! Its been a week from
        HELLo!!!!
        My dog, died on Monday & its been hard on me, Im sooooooo lost without him
        :*(
        I had him for 11 years :*(
        ANYWAY~
        Dan, I think its great u are trying to find a way 2 not let this bug u
        anymore!!
        If there is something i cant do i dont hesitate to ask, like some1 on here
        said, u can kinda scout out who will b willing to help. I cant say Ive EVER
        had some1 say no!! & u know, I have helped others, u know u r in a store,
        they say, could u hand me that or whatever, i dont look at them any
        differently I just do it if i can!! Everyone needs help now & then,
        disability or not. & i think when i ask & dont seem embarassed etc, that
        person doesnt see me as aw the poor disabled girl, they see a girl, who will
        do anything 2 get what she needs, That make ANY sense or should i wait till
        im more withit 2 post?! HA
        ~Theresa

      • Jonathan Lane
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2003
          > I can get most tasks done. Although some I have to do creatively. Changing a
          > light bulb has been a recent challenge. It has a pull down fixture then the
          > bulb is in the ceiling. The stupid fixture got stuck. I think a full grown
          > silver back male gorilla could of hung from it before it dropped down to
          > expose the bulb

          This won't apply for that particular fixture, but I did find this bulb-changer
          thingy at Home Depot for $20 that enables me to change house bulbs, recessed
          bulbs, and flood bulbs. It's basically an extending pole (extends to 20 feet,
          IIRC) with a spring-loaded grip on the end. It's amazingly simple, but I can
          change 10 bulbs in the time it used to take me to change 1.

          -j
        • JRTowner@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2003
            In a message dated 10-Apr-03 09:14:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
            jingai@... writes:

            > This won't apply for that particular fixture, but I did find this
            > bulb-changer
            > thingy at Home Depot for $20 that enables me to change house bulbs,
            > recessed
            > bulbs, and flood bulbs. It's basically an extending pole (extends to 20
            > feet,
            > IIRC) with a spring-loaded grip on the end. It's amazingly simple, but I
            > can
            > change 10 bulbs in the time it used to take me to change 1.

            Yeah I've seen those and they work well. My problem was getting the shade
            part to pull down. I have to pull it down and it's flat against the ceiling.
            It comes down about 8 inches. Then I can reach up into the ceiling and
            change the bulb. I had my neighbor put some wd40 on the track and it seems
            to glide in a bit better.

            Now the next challenge will be the bedrooms. Actually they are harder to
            change because I have to stand on the mattress. And the springy feeling
            effects my ability to balance. I have a feeling I'm going to get me a man
            yet if only to change bulbs!

          • Betty Hicks
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 10, 2003
              I usually have to ask someone to help me because I'm usually alone and yes I do at times accept the help if offered. But if I need to ask, I usually wait to see if the person looks nice. I know that sounds weird but when I do that 9 out of 10 times they will end up helping me with getting other things as well.

              I used to have the same problem with ATM machines but I was told I should just go to the information and ask for a security guard. If you can't trust them, who can u trust?

              Betty
              Madison, WI

            • Betty Hicks
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2003
                I used to have the same problem with ATM machines but I was told I should just go to the information desk and ask for a security guard. If you can't trust them, who can u trust?

                Sorry about that, I missed a word there.

                Betty
                Madison, WI