Introduction

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2001
      Hi all,

      Thanks for joining this list. As I'm sure you all know by now, I was
      banned from Christopher Johnson's list, so that is why this list was
      created. Apparently opinions only count on his list if they're in
      agreement with him. His list was getting too hostile anyway and
      seemed to be falling apart, so I felt a second list was necessary. I
      am not trying to compete with him, but I also wouldn't mind having at
      least half of his members. I can only hope that many more people will
      discover this list and sign up.
      This list will not be heavily goverened. I may have created the list,
      but I won't be looking over it with a microscope. I have appointed
      Theresa as a moderator (oops, I forgot to mention that to
      her...Theresa, you're the moderator...LOL) I will also be giving
      moderator duties to one other member very shortly. Unfortunately,
      since membership is not approved, the moderators won't have all that
      much to do, but at least you'll get a cool looking star next to your
      names...LOL
      Well that's all for now. If you have any suggestions for the list,
      please share them. Don't be afraid to start any discussions either.
      This list is yours!

      Thanks,

      =====
      Dan

      http://www.dango727.com
      AOL IM - Dango727
      Yahoo! - dango727
    • Betty Hicks
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2001
        Most of you all ready know me, but I'll just say a few things about myself.

        My name is Betty Hicks and I'm from Wisconsin, I have been on both lists and I had been thinking about leaving them because it seemed like they dwell on a subject far too long and it got to be really boring. I believe you state both sides and then drop it. Short and sweet.

        Another reason why I chose to leave the one list was that I was co-moderator of it and all of a sudden Chris decided to take me off the moderator's list without consulting me first. I wrote him and asked him if he did it and why. His reply was that too many people were joining for the wrong reasons and that he wanted the new members to write why they wanted to join and that he wanted full control of that. I felt that he didn't trust me enough to decide the membership from reading the letters.

        Dan said that he was going to have a second moderator besides Theresa. I am very interested in that position, Dan. Please, Pretty Please! Lol

        Enough for now.

        Betty
        Madison, WI

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2001
          Betty,

          Thanks for joining. I always wondered why you and Owen had lost your
          co-moderator status on that other list. I guess it was never brought
          up in discussions cause I don't remember reading about it. All I know
          is that one day you and Owen had stars next to your names and then a
          few weeks later I noticed that they were gone.
          I had already promised Jenny that she could help me, but I will let
          you as well, but like I said in my first post, the moderators won't
          have that much to do. Anyone is invited to join this list and there
          is no screening process. The only authority you'll have would be to
          suspend any unruly members, but if that situation were to arise, I
          would hope that all the moderators would come together and decide as
          a group, rather than hastily making a decision on their own.
          I see no reason to think of situations like that occurring though.
          This list is off to a great start and I hope it continues to be
          enjoyable and valuable to you all.

          =====
          Dan

          http://www.dango727.com
          AOL IM - Dango727
          Yahoo! - dango727
        • Mooshu
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24, 2001
            Hello Karen and welcome to the group!

            I'm Jane from England, I'm 37 and I've just been married for three months.

            To answer your question I've never experienced chronic hip pain except when I had a disc problem in my back. At the moment though I am mostly pain free apart from the usual aches and pains!

          • rnjhamp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2002
              Welcome Karen! My name is Jen. I'm 28 and I've been married for 8
              1/2 years. I work full'time in a public school in Virginia and am
              attending college part-time to become a teacher. I don't have any
              children yet but we are planning to start trying next summer.
              Your "awareness" sounds a lot like me. Only in the past few years
              have I realized that I am "different" from my friends and co-
              workers.I think you'll find us a diverse, entertaining group.

              Jen H. :)
            • Empress Sassy Mouth
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2004
                Hello, my name is Jo. I am a 35 yr old mother of 4 boys, and wife to a great guy, who also happens to have Arthrogryposis. It's been since I was 14 since I allowed anyone to poke and prod on me. Back in my day, anything they did to us was more experiment than anything, so where y'all or alot of y'all praise the docs for what they've done for you, I tend to condemn mine. My type of AMC is amyoplasia, (just found that out today, or at least that is the latest name LOL 12 yrs ago they called it something else.)
                Everytime I go to a new doctor for something else I have to educate them LOL. I feel like saying that "You're the doc, YOU tell me" LOL. Anyway, I owe alot to my mother who never treated me "special" or "different" she pushed me to my limits and drilled into my head that you're only disabled if you think you are. I had many yrs of being able to do everything for myself, to my body slowly aging and not allowing me to do as much. Forcing me to accept help. the 4 pregnancies and weight gain from them is the major cause. After giving birth to my fourth son, I ended up with infection in my heartsac, annd then Nov.2002 I had a slight stroke. The only permanant damage from that luckily was some peripheral vision loss on the right. I tell hubby and kids just cause I can't see you sneaking up doesn't mean I can't hear you.
                I live in Kansas and run a Guinea Pig rescue, am trying to get my business off the ground, I build webpages, and we're in the process of moving to a house we're building acrossed the street.
                Anyway, I'm curious, just exactly what do adults like us do for medical treatment, are there docs out there who specialize in Adults with AMC???
                Feel free to ask me anything, and ty for letting me join this group.
                Jo

                Click WWW Ya-Ya Banner to go to site

              • butch butch

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2004
                    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:44:38 -0800 (PST)
                    butch butch <rocks0508@...> wrote:

                    > I have been reading all the posting and decided to chime in. I am
                    > 33 and my parents didn't let me use the word "can't". I had to
                    > figure out a way to do everything. I wasn't treated special or
                    > different and that made me the strong person I am today.

                    I concur. The only problem that I have noticed is that when striving to do
                    everything as well as others and to be 100% independent, I've noticed that I
                    have a strong desire to go ahead the extra mile, attempting to be more than just
                    equal and instead try to come as close to "best" and "perfection" as I can.

                    This is not a bad trait, but it means I run my body ragged a lot, and as I've
                    gotten older I've noticed I can't do this as much. This leads to a perceived
                    drop in my performance, which psychologically hits me pretty hard. I understand
                    people degenerate as they age, but at 25, I am not willing to accept noticable
                    losses in performance, but there isn't fuck all I can do about it. It hurts me
                    deeply on a daily basis.

                    I suppose I will just have to accept life's terms and move on to the best of my
                    abilities, but it is certainly not easy when the mind feels 25 and the body
                    feels 50.

                    That said, I'm not really sure where I am going with this. I agree it's perhaps
                    the best way to raise a disabled child, but maybe something a wee bit closer to
                    middle ground can result in a more balanced life as an adult. Maybe not. To
                    paraphrase Neitzche from a book whose name I can't recall now, we have only one
                    life to live and nothing to compare it to, so we can't know whether or not our
                    decisions are correct. Sorry to any big Neitzche fans if I butchered that, but
                    I've had a hard day at work and don't really feel like trying to look it up ^^;

                    -jonathan