3633AMC Awareness Day - June 30th !

  • lalabonita
    May 7, 2014

      Wear BLUE in honor of your AMCer!

      National Support Group for Arthrogryposis Celebrates FIFTH Annual Awareness Day

      In four short years, families from all over the country have been sporting the color blue to honor those affected by Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita (AMC). June 30th, 2014 will be the FIFTH annual AMC Awareness Day sponsored by Arthrogryposis Multplex Congenita Support Inc. (AMCSI).
      We have had billboards, States officially recognizing June 30th as arthrogryposis Awareness day, TV commercials, newspaper articles and so on! Keep up the GREAT WORK! ARTHROGRYPOSIS Awareness is happening!!
      AMCSI is a fully volunteer based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that hosts yearly conferences and maintains a free online message board system.

      Quick Facts About Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita
      Arthrogryposis is defined as multiple congenital (from birth) joint contracture or multiple joints that are stuck in one position and have very little flexibility.

      A newborn has to have 3 contracted joints in two different body areas to have a diagnosis of Arthrogryposis.

      Arthrogryposis is an umbrella diagnosis with many syndromes and subtypes and occurs 1 in 3,000 live births. There are currently 400 identified types such as Amyoplasia, Distal and Multiple Pterygium/Escobar Syndrome.

      Arthrogryposis is caused by an unborn baby not moving properly during fetal development. A baby has to move its limbs for proper joint development to happen. Why a baby fails to move its joints depends on the type of AMC. For example, In Amyoplasia (a non-genetic type), it’s because the muscles fail to develop. In Multiple Pterygium/ Escobar Syndrome (a genetic type) the messages that impact a person's muscle movement is affected; the message isn't able to get through very well making it more difficult for them to move.

      Stretching, various therapies (physical, occupational, speech etc.) and some surgical interventions can help improve someone’s independence level and quality of life.

      Questions regarding the support group or to request more information about Arthrogryposis should be directed to the organization’s Board of Directors by emailing bod@....

      (RP)

      Awareness Day T-Shirts

      June 30th is Arthrogryposis Awareness Day!

      Now thru May 15th, we will be taking orders for the"official" AMCSI Arthrogryposis Awareness Day T-shirt!

      • Infant 6m - Adult XL $20 ea.
      • Adult 2XL - 3XL $22 ea.
      • 4XL - 5XL $24 ea.

      *FREE SHIPPING* within the US.

      http://tiny.cc/ghjifx

      We look forward to a sea of blue on June 30th, so don't forget to Email your pics to:amcawarenessday@...  FYI: You don't have to be an AMCer or an AMC Family to purchase an awareness day shirt. We welcome orders from any and all who would like to show their support for promoting arthrogryposis awareness and those who are living with it!