3630Re: [Adults AMC] Wrist surgery....yea or nay?

  • Allyson Haar
    Oct 1 9:29 AM
      I had casting done a lot as a baby, wore hand splints almost 20 hours a day until i was about 4y/o then just at night until i was a teenager. never had any operations on them either. I dont really have pain in them, except if i'm doing a lot of fine motor skills, screwing screw, typing, writing for many hours in a row. I have found that regularly stretching out the joints in my fingers, wrists and shoulders have greatly helped when my hands/wrists are sore, also wearing the carpal tunnel wrist splints (at night or day a few hours at least )sold at your local drug store help tremendously.

      I'm not sure where you live but there is an orthopedist here in Louisiana that is a hand surgeon, who actually has AMC himself i saw him in my early 20's when my wrists were giving me trouble. He was not into doing anything that would cause me to have less movement or function, instead he was looking into potentially removing some of the little bones that may have been rubbing wrongly, it ended up that my pain was strictly muscle pain and not bones.

      Allyson Haar

      On Sep 30, 2013, at 10:12 PM, Brenda <beekayn@...> wrote:

      > Hi Masha and mom. I had my wrists cast as a baby but haven't had anything done since. They don't bend backward, but I haven't experienced pain with them. I don't have great advice I'm sorry to say. But I wanted to send some support and good thoughts along as you try to make the decision. Don't let a doctor (or any one else) push you in a direction you are not comfortable with. Follow your instincts and feel free to see more than one or two or three orthopedic docs.
      > ~Brenda
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic