meaning of the word- medha

  • adi_shakthi16 <adi_shakthi16@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2003
      dear ambaal devotees,

      i agree with our respected kochuji and savitri !

      the word medha definitely refers to 'memory' !

      in shri vishnu sahsarnama , sloka 9 goes like this...

      Isvarao vikramee dhanvee

      ****MEDHAVEE*** vikramah

      kramah anutamo duradharsah

      krtajnah krtitatmanam

      here lord vishnu is worshipped as

      medhAvI

      One who is capable of powerful memory.

      Sri Sankara gives the following definition -

      "medhA bahugrantha dhAraNa sAmarthyam, sa yasya asti sa medhAvI -
      medhA is the ability to grasp several ideas on different subjects at
      the same time; One who has this ability naturally is medhAvI".

      Sri RadhAkrshNa Sastri points out that BhagavAn is Isvara, vikramI,
      dhanvI, etc., because He is a medhAvI, one who can command the
      knowledge of anything at any time as desired.

      also, one of saraswati devi's names is MEDHA- the goddess of
      learning!

      oUR beloved sarswati devi is indeed devi of great intellect,,
      intelligence and memory!

      i recently named one of my nieces 'Medha' for rhis very reason!

      in tamil also medhavi means one who is knowledgeble!

      i hope this helps!

      om sree saraswatyaii namaha!