mahishhaasuramardinii stotram

  • sunderh@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31 7:25 PM
      Namaste,

      Could some member kindly provide the meaning for this verse?
      [##11.]

      sahita mahaahava mallama tallika mallita rallaka mallarate
      virachita vallika pallika mallika bhillika bhillika varga vR^ite .
      sitakR^ita pullisamulla sitaaruNa tallaja pallava sallalite
      jaya jaya he mahishhaasuramardini ramyakapardini shailasute .. 11..

      Thank you in advance.

      Regards,

      sunder
    • Gummuluru Murthy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
        On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 sunderh@... wrote:

        > Namaste,
        >
        > Could some member kindly provide the meaning for this verse?
        > [##11.]
        >
        > sahita mahaahava mallama tallika mallita rallaka mallarate
        > virachita vallika pallika mallika bhillika bhillika varga vR^ite .
        > sitakR^ita pullisamulla sitaaruNa tallaja pallava sallalite
        > jaya jaya he mahishhaasuramardini ramyakapardini shailasute .. 11..
        >
        > Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > sunder

        namaste.

        Here is an attempt which may or may not be entirely correct.

        The corrected version of the verse which I used is also given
        below.

        mahita mahAhava malla matallika mallita tallaka mallarate
        viracita vallika pallika mallika jhillika jhillika varga bhr^ite
        sita kr^ita phulla samullasitAruNa pallava tallaja sallalite
        jaya jaya he mahiShAsuramardini ramyakapardini shailasute ||

        mahita: great
        maha + Ahava: great war
        malla: people proficient in mallayuddha
        matallika: the cream (of the people)
        mallita tallaka: mallayuddha versions called mallika and tallaka
        malla: mallayuddha
        rate: the one who is interested
        viracita: written
        vallika pallika mallika jhillika jhillika varga: types of
        mallayuddha techniques
        bhr^ite: full of
        sitakr^ita: made white in color
        phulla: shining
        samullasita: in its great splendour
        aruNa pallava tallaja: (like) red tender leaf
        sallalite: the most revered parameshwarI
        shailasute: the daughter of the king of the mountain
        ramya kapardini: one with beautiful hair
        mahiShAsuramardini: the killer of mahiShAsura
        jaya jaya: victory (hail) to you, victory to you

        O mahiShAsuramardinI, you do mallayuddha with people who are
        expert in that technique; you show interest in that type of warfare
        (shri ambA conducted mallayuddha with shumbha and nishumbha).
        You are proficient in various techniques of mallayuddha. Your
        color is red mixed with white and you are tender like a tender
        red leaf. victory to you, victory to you.

        [ english wording can be improved. but the general meaning is
        there. Any corrections are most appreciated.]

        Regards
        Gummuluru Murthy
      • Colin Earl
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2001
          My Guru tells me thought it has the bijas and meanings
          of the Chadi the Mardini is far more violent.

          Here I offer first a very literal translation followed
          by a spiritual translation compiled from the talks of
          Sri Sri SRi Bhagavati Vijayeswari Devi, the Divine
          Mother avatar residing in Bangalore affectionatly
          know as Sri Karunamayi.
          For more info and to order this and other Amma
          Kurunamayi books visit: www.karunamayi.org

          Sahita mahahava mallama tallika mallita rallaka
          mallarate
          Viracita vallika pallika mallika bhillika bhillika
          vargavrte
          Sita krta phulla samulla sitaruna tallaja pallava
          sallalite
          Jaya jaya he mahisasura mardini ramya kapardini
          sailasute

          Literal: Oh, Mother! The misillies let out by the
          warriors in the battlefeild enliven your interest. You
          are the refuge to the hilldwellers and tribals, living
          in creeperbowers. You shine more brilliantly amidst
          the twelve Adityas, waiting on you.

          Spiritual: Oh Mother, the demons Mallika and Rallaka
          were full of pride for their physical prowess, and
          they challenged You to a bout of wrestling, thinking
          that no female could be a match for them! But with one
          stroke You sent them to the same fate as all the other
          demons who tried to fight you. In the sacred Vindhya
          mountain range, the young girls of the Sabari tribe
          built a beautiful temple for You out of fresh branches
          and flower creepers. Seeking only to please You, they
          gave form to their love by molding a clay image of You
          in their small temple shrine. For offerings they
          picked the freshest fruits and leaves, taking great
          care to ensure that the fruits were pure and
          unblemished. With tender devotion they decorated Your
          image with the most beautiful flowers that had only
          just bloomed. Then, clapping their hands and singing
          sweet songs, they performed their simple folk dance
          before You. Mother, You always respond to pure
          devotion springing from a stainless heart, and so You
          graced those innocent tribal girls with Your divine
          presence. You accepted their offerings in person and
          sat with them in physical form, delighting in their
          innocence and granting many a boon. They knew no
          mantras or rituals, but their simple faith and
          devotion won You over completely! Mother, You will
          never come to those who arrogantly display their
          wealth, physical strength or intellectual knowledge,
          but You are always with those who have a simple, pure
          heart that is full of love and devotion.

          (I typed the previous sloka by mistake so decided to
          include it for all)

          Ayi sumanah sumanah sumanah sumanah sumanohara
          kantiyute
          Srita rajani rajani rajani rajani rajanikara vaktra
          vrte
          Sunayana vibhramara bhramara bhramara bhramara
          bhramaradhipate
          Jaya jaya he mahisasura mardini ramya kapardini
          sailasute

          Literal: O, Mother, Your captivating beauty takes the
          form of beautiful flowers like the pure minds of the
          devas, offered to you as 'Manopuspa'. Your face
          resembles the lotus in the lake shinning moonlit night
          with the pollen covering it in. Your beautiful eyes
          look more beautiful because of the curls of Your hair
          tossing before them like bees.

          Spiritual: Mother, it is the beauty of Your luminous
          face only that captivates Lord Siva, stealing away His
          mind so that His sole desire is to meditate on You in
          the form of an infinite ocean of compasion. You shine
          with a brilliant blue color in Your in your form as
          Kalika Devi, and you absorb all the negativity of Your
          children so that they will bloom with all divine
          virtues. As Maha Laksmi Devi Your tender lotus-like
          hands and feet glow with the color of a beautiful pink
          rose as You bestow the highest wealths of true
          devotion, compasion and contentedness on Your
          devotees. As Maha Sarasvati Devi, Your supremely
          peaceful face shines with the serence radiance of a
          million moons, and You bestow the highest wisdom,
          purity and selflessness on Your beloved children.
          Mother, Your compassionate glance is more purifying
          than a bath in the confluence of the Ganga, Jamuna and
          Sarasvati Rivers. With Your three eyes You are always
          watching the three worlds so that You may protect all
          Your children. By Your grace, we attain purity of
          mind, speech, and action. Your pure devotees are like
          bees buzzing with the sound of Omkara, hovering around
          Your Lotus Feet which are oozing nectar sweeter than
          the sweetest honey. Mother, I have strived to make my
          inner heart flowers bloom with all the divine virtues,
          but You must come as a divine bee and dust my heart
          with the pollen of Your most loving grace so that I
          may attain the sweetest fruits of pure divine
          consciousness.

          Jai Ma!
          Jai Karunamayi!
          Colin