Astronomers needed Tuesday night

  • J. O'Brien
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      Below is the text of a message I sent out a few weeks ago. Could I
      get a show of hands (or emails) of those who might be able to assist
      with a summer camp viewing session this coming Tuesday night, July
      8? The viewing session would be relatively brief: from dark until
      maybe 10:30 or 11:00. Please let me know if you could help out.
      Details below.

      Thanks,

      John O'Brien

      ----text of earlier message ---
      Some of our club members have helped out at the Presbyterian summer
      camp in years past. (The comments I heard last year were, "Best
      behaved kids we've ever seen." Plus, they made a donation to the
      club last year.)

      They have once again requested our assistance for the evening of
      Tuesday, July 8. That's just a few days shy of full moon, so the
      moon might be the best thing to view. (Might be able to catch
      Jupiter before it sets if there is an unobstructed westerly view, but
      Mars won't be up until midnight.)

      But if anyone would be available for a short viewing session (perhaps
      about an hour or so), they would really appreciate it. The camp
      meets at the Bishop Quarterman center, just north of Amarillo.

      If it wouldn't violate any club protocol, I will be glad to
      coordinate the session since I see the camp committee coordinator on
      a weekly basis at church.

      My work schedule will be somewhat 'iffy' at that time (not to mention
      the fact that my new telescope mount still isn't working), but I will
      try to support if at all possible.

      Thanks,

      John O'Brien
    • bob_hill12000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
        Hi John,

        If I am not still at work at that time I will try to get there. We are
        going to be trying to get the project that I have been working on for
        the last three months placed into service next week and I have been
        informed to not make too many plans for Mon - Thurs. (In the past when
        these things have been cut over I have seen anything from smooth easy
        quick turn-ons to nightmares requiring around the clock work for six
        days.) We will see.

        Bob

        --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "J. O'Brien"
        <astro7810@h...> wrote:
        > Below is the text of a message I sent out a few weeks ago. Could I
        > get a show of hands (or emails) of those who might be able to assist
        > with a summer camp viewing session this coming Tuesday night, July
        > 8? The viewing session would be relatively brief: from dark until
        > maybe 10:30 or 11:00. Please let me know if you could help out.
        > Details below.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > John O'Brien
      • Jim Fitch
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
          John,

          If the sky is clear, I plan to be there. Might be a good place to get
          the 13" from you, if you have room.
        • dannyz_tx
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2003
            John,

            Barring the unexpected, I'm planning to be there with a scope as
            well.

            Danny Z.