First time out

  • J. O'Brien <astro7810@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
      I just posted (in the JohnO folder) two photos from my first night
      out with the new camera. I have more than LOTS to learn - I have
      EVERYTHING to learn about how to do this. These were taken with a
      general purpose digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 4500) using an eyepiece
      adapter on a Meade 10" LX-200.
    • nickbtx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
        John,
        Considering the focal length you're at, not to mention the mount
        being alt-az, those images are impressive. In addition to that
        they're color! I hope these first successes give you the desire to
        stay with it. By the way, I know what you mean about "LOTS to
        learn". I'm at the point that I don't know what to do, but I am
        learning a lot about what not to do. :)
        Nick

        --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "J. O'Brien
      • Jim Fitch <jf@amaonline.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2003
          John, Those pictures look good. What exposure length were the
          individual pictures? What program did you use to stack them and what
          other processing did you do?
        • J. O'Brien <astro7810@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2003
            M31 was two frames at 60 seconds each, and M42 was five frames of 8
            seconds each. Stacking was done with Registax (which I really
            haven't taken time to learn how to use yet). The photos were
            originally 4 megapixel, so I had to downsample to accommodate
            Registax's limit of 1024x1024. No other processing was done.

            --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Fitch <jf@a...>"