Increase in Spam lately

  • bob_hill12000
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      If you have had a recent increase in the amount of spam that you are
      receiving, you might want to review your personal settings on Yahoo.
      It appears that with their recent changes to shove more advertising
      down all of our throats, they also went into everyones personal
      settings and changed all the settings to allow everyone in the world
      to spam your address. They even put in settings to allow phone and
      mail solicitation, and set those to yes. If anyone has any suggestions
      for a club web page away from these lowlifes, I would love to hear it.
    • dannyz_tx
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        DITTO, Bob.

        To review the personal settings that Bob refered to: go to the very
        top of the page on the right hand side and click on the link
        for "Account Info". After you enter your password (I'd use
        the "secure" option personally), you will see your account settings.
        Scroll down a bit and click on the link to "Edit My Marketing
        Preferences" (or something like that). You should see a bunch of
        options most likely all set to YES (mine were at least). If you
        wanted to, you could change them all to NO. Then you would need to
        SAVE the changes - which would return you to the previous screen.
        Then it would probably be a good idea to click on the FINISHED button
        at the bottom of that page. Then, if everything's on the up and up,
        your new preferences should be saved.

        Personally, I NEVER had ANY spam at all until I signed up with Yahoo
        when we first started the club web site. I've ALWAYS had it since
        then.

        And... I haven't really learned to appreciate all of the
        new "consumer education opportunities" (ads) that I am now seeing so
        much of since the recent changes from "Yahoo Clubs" to "Yahoo Groups"
        either.

        At the present time I don't have any good alternative in mind. But,
        like Bob, I'm open to suggestions.