Venus transit cloud cover

  • Pearre Chase
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
      Been studying cloud cover forecasts for Tuesday:

      Rain chances.....

      Amarillo 30%
      Lubbock 40%
      Clovis 40%
      Liberal, KS 30%
      OK City 30%
      Raton 20%
      San Angelo 40%
      Albuquerque 10%
      Hobbs, NM 30%
      Wichita, KS clear
      Gallup, NM clear

      Looks like we would have to go as far as Wichita or Gallup to guarantee clear skies. Really has me pondering.... Afraid, though, with work I am going to have to stay here and hope for the best. What are others doing?

      Pearre
    • tzimmerman
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
        Pearre,

        I have been looking and noticing it also.    If we go as far west as Jim's
        house, we may be in the clear.....(grin)    This is the panhandle, maybe the
        forecast will change by tomorrow.

        Terry

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
          UhHuh, Good Idea!

          Jim can paint a big yellow circle on the side of his cooler and every time it's opened a little black ball can be moved a bit down and to the right.

          --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, tzimmerman <tzimmermn@...> wrote:

          > Pearre,
          >
          > I have been looking and noticing it also.    If we go as far west as Jim's
          > house, we may be in the clear.....(grin)    This is the panhandle, maybe the
          > forecast will change by tomorrow.
          >
          > Terry
          >

          > ________________________________

        • jimbobr2000
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
            Does it look like the Stiff park would be good???
            Jim R

            --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <crstars@...> wrote:

            > UhHuh, Good Idea!
            >
            > Jim can paint a big yellow circle on the side of his cooler and every time it's opened a little black ball can be moved a bit down and to the right.
            >

            > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, tzimmerman <tzimmermn@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Pearre,
            > >
            > > I have been looking and noticing it also.    If we go as far west as Jim's
            > > house, we may be in the clear.....(grin)    This is the panhandle, maybe the
            > > forecast will change by tomorrow.
            > >
            > > Terry
            > >

            > > ________________________________

          • David Heard
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
              We're going to chance it here at the observatory & hope for the best.

              Dave

              Does it look like the Stiff park would be good???
              Jim R

              --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <crstars@...> wrote:

              > UhHuh, Good Idea!
              >
              > Jim can paint a big yellow circle on the side of his cooler and every time it's opened a little black ball can be moved a bit down and to the right.
              >

              > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, tzimmerman <tzimmermn@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Pearre,
              > >
              > > I have been looking and noticing it also.   If we go as far west as Jim's
              > > house, we may be in the clear.....(grin)Â Â Â This is the panhandle, maybe the
              > > forecast will change by tomorrow.
              > >
              > > Terry
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • Rich
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 4, 2012
                At this point there are at least three of us that should be at the park unless it's raining.
                We will be at the north end near the far parking lot. View to the west is pretty flat.
                If the weather is bad we will just have to wait for the next one. <:)
                Rich

                --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "David Heard" <wildman@...> wrote:

                > We're going to chance it here at the observatory & hope for the best.
                >
                > Dave

              • nickbtx
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 4, 2012
                  I plan on rounding up the neighborhood kids and viewing/imaging the transit through the Cave in the backyard, unless someone wants to help me carry it to the park to join the other folks. :)

                  --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Pearre Chase" <pcctex@...> wrote:

                  > Been studying cloud cover forecasts for Tuesday:
                  >
                  > Rain chances.....
                  >
                  > Amarillo 30%
                  > Lubbock 40%
                  > Clovis 40%
                  > Liberal, KS 30%
                  > OK City 30%
                  > Raton 20%
                  > San Angelo 40%
                  > Albuquerque 10%
                  > Hobbs, NM 30%
                  > Wichita, KS clear
                  > Gallup, NM clear
                  >
                  > Looks like we would have to go as far as Wichita or Gallup to guarantee clear skies. Really has me pondering.... Afraid, though, with work I am going to have to stay here and hope for the best. What are others doing?
                  >
                  > Pearre

                • jim_fitch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 4, 2012
                    I don't have enough beer to make that convincing.

                    I may drive west. Albuquerque might be OK, but I think Las Vegas, NV is a safer bet. Maybe Grants, NM?

                    Jim

                    --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <crstars@...> wrote:

                    > UhHuh, Good Idea!
                    >
                    > Jim can paint a big yellow circle on the side of his cooler and every time it's opened a little black ball can be moved a bit down and to the right.
                    >

                    > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, tzimmerman <tzimmermn@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Pearre,
                    > >
                    > > I have been looking and noticing it also.    If we go as far west as Jim's
                    > > house, we may be in the clear.....(grin)    This is the panhandle, maybe the
                    > > forecast will change by tomorrow.
                    > >
                    > > Terry
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • jim_fitch
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 4, 2012
                      The forecast does not look too great for tommorrow. I looked at the sun around 4:00 and could see sunspot groups clearly. At 5:00 things were not too great and at 6:00 the sun was gone.

                      I'm going west (young man or not). Albuquerque's forecast is an improvment, Grants is even better. I may take off midmorning and see how things look.

                      Might see the transit from here, but it's touch and go. I just hate to get clouded out like in 2004.

                      Jim

                    • ascruggs@suddenlink.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 4, 2012
                        I'm stuck here in Amarillo. I'll be out at the west end of Southwest park, otherwise known as John Stiff park.

                        Alan

                        ---- jim_fitch <jf@...> wrote:
                        > The forecast does not look too great for tommorrow. I looked at the sun around 4:00 and could see sunspot groups clearly. At 5:00 things were not too great and at 6:00 the sun was gone.
                        >
                        > I'm going west (young man or not). Albuquerque's forecast is an improvment, Grants is even better. I may take off midmorning and see how things look.
                        >
                        > Might see the transit from here, but it's touch and go. I just hate to get clouded out like in 2004.
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I don't have enough beer to make that convincing.
                        > >
                        > > I may drive west. Albuquerque might be OK, but I think Las Vegas, NV is a safer bet. Maybe Grants, NM?
                        > >
                        > > Jim
                        > >

                        > > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rich" <crstars@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > UhHuh, Good Idea!
                        > > >
                        > > > Jim can paint a big yellow circle on the side of his cooler and every time it's opened a little black ball can be moved a bit down and to the right.

                      • nickbtx
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 4, 2012
                          Shelly Sites with KVII came by and looked at the Sun and asked a few questions about the transit. I mentioned that there could be a few members of the club at the park. She said it wouldn't air until 5:00pm on Tuesday so hopefully the turnout won't be overwhelming.

                          Jim didn't answer his phone, but I did. :o)

                          --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, <ascruggs@...> wrote:

                          > I'm stuck here in Amarillo. I'll be out at the west end of Southwest park, otherwise known as John Stiff park.
                          >
                          > Alan
                          >
                          > ---- jim_fitch <jf@...> wrote:
                          > > The forecast does not look too great for tommorrow. I looked at the sun around 4:00 and could see sunspot groups clearly. At 5:00 things were not too great and at 6:00 the sun was gone.
                          > >
                          > > I'm going west (young man or not). Albuquerque's forecast is an improvment, Grants is even better. I may take off midmorning and see how things look.
                          > >
                          > > Might see the transit from here, but it's touch and go. I just hate to get clouded out like in 2004.
                          > >
                          > > Jim
                          > >
                          > > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, "jim_fitch" <jf@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > I don't have enough beer to make that convincing.
                          > > >
                          > > > I may drive west. Albuquerque might be OK, but I think Las Vegas, NV is a safer bet. Maybe Grants, NM?
                          > > >
                          > > > Jim

                        • jim_fitch
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 5, 2012
                            Phone? I'm pretty sure it's Tena's fault, but thanks for being there!

                            The sky this morning looks great, but not for observing. I hope we all get a chance at this. Several members are going west, probably west of Albuquerque somewhere. Medicine Lodge and Witchita, KS look like possibilities as well.

                            See you all Friday,

                            Jim

                            --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, nickbtx <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > Shelly Sites with KVII came by and looked at the Sun and asked a few questions about the transit. I mentioned that there could be a few members of the club at the park. She said it wouldn't air until 5:00pm on Tuesday so hopefully the turnout won't be overwhelming.
                            >
                            > Jim didn't answer his phone, but I did. :o)
                            >

                            > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, <ascruggs@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I'm stuck here in Amarillo. I'll be out at the west end of Southwest park, otherwise known as John Stiff park.
                            > >
                            > > Alan
                            > >
                            > > ---- jim_fitch <jf@> wrote:
                            > > > The forecast does not look too great for tommorrow. I looked at the sun around 4:00 and could see sunspot groups clearly. At 5:00 things were not too great and at 6:00 the sun was gone.
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm going west (young man or not). Albuquerque's forecast is an improvment, Grants is even better. I may take off midmorning and see how things look.
                            > > >
                            > > > Might see the transit from here, but it's touch and go. I just hate to get clouded out like in 2004.
                            > > >
                            > > > Jim

                          • tzimmerman
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 5, 2012
                              I may have to head north with the 12-1/2" Dob....   Maybe I will see
                              "Toto" or the Wizard...

                              Terry

                              ________________________________
                              Phone? I'm pretty sure it's Tena's fault, but thanks for being there!

                              The sky this morning looks great, but not for observing. I hope we all get a
                              chance at this. Several members are going west, probably west of Albuquerque
                              somewhere. Medicine Lodge and Witchita, KS look like possibilities as well.

                              See you all Friday,

                              Jim

                              --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, nickbtx <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > Shelly Sites with KVII came by and looked at the Sun and asked a few questions
                              >about the transit. I mentioned that there could be a few members of the club at
                              >the park. She said it wouldn't air until 5:00pm on Tuesday so hopefully the
                              >turnout won't be overwhelming.
                              >
                              > Jim didn't answer his phone, but I did. :o)
                              >

                              > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, <ascruggs@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I'm stuck here in Amarillo. I'll be out at the west end of Southwest park,
                              >otherwise known as John Stiff park.
                              > >
                              > > Alan
                              > >
                              > > ---- jim_fitch <jf@> wrote:
                              > > > The forecast does not look too great for tommorrow. I looked at the sun
                              >around 4:00 and could see sunspot groups clearly. At 5:00 things were not too
                              >great and at 6:00 the sun was gone.
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm going west (young man or not). Albuquerque's forecast is an improvment,
                              >Grants is even better. I may take off midmorning and see how things look.
                              >

                              > > > Might see the transit from here, but it's touch and go. I just hate to get
                              >clouded out like in 2004.
                              > > >
                              > > > Jim

                              >safer bet. Maybe Grants, NM?

                              >time it's opened a little black ball can be moved a bit down and to the right.

                              >west as Jim's

                              >panhandle, maybe the

                            • nickbtx
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 5, 2012
                                I can see a patch of blue sky to the west that's getting bigger and it's in the path of the Sun. Fingers crossed.

                              • ascruggs@suddenlink.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 5, 2012
                                  Me too. Fingers definitely crossed!!!

                                  ---- nickbtx <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  > I can see a patch of blue sky to the west that's getting bigger and it's in the path of the Sun. Fingers crossed.
                                  >

                                  > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, tzimmerman <tzimmermn@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I may have to head north with the 12-1/2" Dob....   Maybe I will see
                                  > > "Toto" or the Wizard...
                                  > >
                                  > > Terry
                                  > >

                                  > > ________________________________

                                • nickbtx
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 5, 2012
                                    Jaton had a friend come by the house and the three of us got to witness the transit for a few minutes through the old Cave. My first impression was Venus was larger than I expected. I could even see it through solar glasses briefly. Plus, there were lots of Sunspots. Very cool!

                                    --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, <ascruggs@...> wrote:

                                    > Me too. Fingers definitely crossed!!!
                                    >

                                    > ---- nickbtx <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    > > I can see a patch of blue sky to the west that's getting bigger and it's in the path of the Sun. Fingers crossed.
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, tzimmerman <tzimmermn@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I may have to head north with the 12-1/2" Dob....   Maybe I will see
                                    > > > "Toto" or the Wizard...
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Terry
                                    > > >

                                    > > > ________________________________

                                  • David Heard

                                      Phone? I'm pretty sure it's Tena's fault, but thanks for being there!

                                      The sky this morning looks great, but not for observing. I hope we all get a
                                      chance at this. Several members are going west, probably west of Albuquerque
                                      somewhere. Medicine Lodge and Witchita, KS look like possibilities as well.

                                      See you all Friday,

                                      Jim

                                      --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, nickbtx <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                      > Shelly Sites with KVII came by and looked at the Sun and asked a few questions
                                      >about the transit. I mentioned that there could be a few members of the club at
                                      >the park. She said it wouldn't air until 5:00pm on Tuesday so hopefully the
                                      >turnout won't be overwhelming.
                                      >
                                      > Jim didn't answer his phone, but I did. :o)
                                      >

                                      > --- In amarilloastronomyclub@yahoogroups.com, <ascruggs@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm stuck here in Amarillo. I'll be out at the west end of Southwest park,
                                      >otherwise known as John Stiff park.
                                      > >
                                      > > Alan
                                      > >
                                      > > ---- jim_fitch <jf@> wrote:
                                      > > > The forecast does not look too great for tommorrow. I looked at the sun
                                      >around 4:00 and could see sunspot groups clearly. At 5:00 things were not too
                                      >great and at 6:00 the sun was gone.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'm going west (young man or not). Albuquerque's forecast is an improvment,
                                      >Grants is even better. I may take off midmorning and see how things look.
                                      >

                                      > > > Might see the transit from here, but it's touch and go. I just hate to get
                                      >clouded out like in 2004.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Jim

                                      >safer bet. Maybe Grants, NM?

                                      >time it's opened a little black ball can be moved a bit down and to the right.

                                      >west as Jim's

                                      >panhandle, maybe the

                                    • David Heard
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 5, 2012
                                        We set up the 4" refr with a filter & were just able to catch Venus through the clouds just after first contact & got to view until just before second contact. We were also supprised about the size of Venus. Also, we noticed, using a 4.7mm ep, that there seemed to a thin orange 'band' encircling Venus--the atmosphere? Spotted Venus one more time well after second contact before it totally clouded over. I guess that a little is better than none at all???

                                        David & Amy